How to save money

• @dhromed said:

@davedavenotdavemaybedave said:

Every now and again, as well, you run into the demon manager from hell: gets moved in, cuts investment, lowers costs, improves figures in the short term, gets moved on, next bloke takes the flak as all the good staff have left and productivity drops, making the demon manager look even better.

I read somewhere a while ago an offhand comment that basically every american president suffers from this effect, because there exist social, economical and politcal effects that are a) nearly unstoppable and b) take more than 4 years to play out.

I'd say 'exploits' rather than 'suffers from'. Not doing so is about integrity, but sadly we don't seem to have that concept any more. I honestly believe that things have got so bad that a candidate with genuine honesty would win immense cross-party support over the partisan choices who're just more of the same.

• @davedavenotdavemaybedave said:

I'd say 'exploits' rather than 'suffers from'. Not doing so is about integrity, but sadly we don't seem to have that concept any more. I honestly believe that things have got so bad that a candidate with genuine honesty would win immense cross-party support over the partisan choices who're just more of the same.

It's not the President exploiting it, it's the department heads. Why put in all the effort to reform, say, the IRS when the next administration probably won't care about reforming it? You drag your heels, present a couple "plans" for re-orgs without doing any actual work, and bide your time for a few years. Next administration swoops in, and, hey look, you never had to get rid of your cronies paid in the high-six-figures to do nothing.

The President suffers from it because the press (and thus the general public) has absolutely no fucking clue what the Presidents actual job duties are. If something bad happens, it's the President's fault. (Again: I don't think Bush is a good President, but he got this a *lot*.)

The hurricane Katrina stuff was fucking ridiculous! The most corrupt state in the US can't handle its own shit, and suddenly it's Bush's fault that FEMA wasn't there, despite the fact that:
    * FEMA's purpose is to provide *recovery* aid, not to evacuate people. Recovery aid doesn't begin until the disaster is over.
    * FEMA had never before provided massive amounts of aid before an oncoming disaster, and nobody expected them to. Well, until all of a sudden people did!
    * Every other State in the damned union can handle their own shit when it comes to stuff like this. Hey, we have levies here in Washington too! They're all in good shape... why? Because we have honest politicians who don't dip into the funds.

The fact that Nagin got out of Katrina reputation-intact while Bush was blamed, that just chafes my hide. I'm sure sooner or later something similar will happen to Obama.

•  i remember when internet access was a perk

• @Helix said:

i remember when internet access was a perk

Internet access is a perk now. It's just a ubiquitous one, like air conditioning. So there's no point in listing it out. Unless you're in Nostalgic Grandpa mode.

• @blakeyrat said:

@Helix said:

Internet access is a perk now. It's just a ubiquitous one, like air conditioning. So there's no point in listing it out. Unless you're in Nostalgic Grandpa mode.

i also remember when a swivel chair was a perk

• @blakeyrat said:

@Helix said:

Ubiquitous in some countries, in others living past 25 is a perk.

• @blakeyrat said:

@Helix said:

I know plenty of businesses where net access for personal use is strictly not allowed, and even some where there is no net access at all for general users. Generally these days it's for security reasons, but it still exists.

• @blakeyrat said:

The fact that Nagin got out of Katrina reputation-intact while Bush was blamed, that just chafes my hide. I'm sure sooner or later something similar will happen to Obama.
    Like a deep-sea oil spill geyser?