What has the UK ever done for you?

• In this week's issue of The Economist, there's a two-page spread advertisement from UK Trade & Investment, a government body promoting "UK's cutting-edge technological revolution". The advertisements shouts (I'd post a picture but I'm short of wooden tables):

@UK Trade & Investment said:

So, apart from the iPod, the internet, Oxford University, investment banking, the railway, penicillin, Concorde, bioscience, copyright, catseyes (and the corkscrew)... what has the UK ever done for you?

OK, so Apple's Chief of Cool is a Brit, but the iPod a UK invention???

And His Pompousness Sir Berners Lee may have glued together the first HTTP server, but the internet already existed 20 years before that.

And if the UK is so cutting edge, why do these guys work in San Francisco and Geneva?

Bioscience? Whatever.

Investment Banking? Britain's first investment bank, Barings, was founded 1763 - Germany's Berenberg was founded 1590.

Copyright? The Berne Convention, intitiated by the French, established that in 1886. Britain was one of the last countries to adopt it.

But you gotta hand it to them - they did invent the corkscrew.

• Motörhead, Pink Floyd and many more fucking rock and roll ass kicking bands.

They also invented football. * (see additional notes)

If my girl was brittish that would cover about 90% of my life.

oh wait there is also Bovril and Lyle's Golden Syrup, but those are hard to get around here.

* Additional notes:
    yes US dudes, it's football, you play with your FEET and you kick a BALL
    (mmm.. should we call it FeetBall?)

P.S. Where the hell does that 'soccer' name came from? This is a legit quetion.

• And Barings collapsed... due to a British trader.

What about the TV? Oh yeah, that was the Scots.

• @fatdog said:

P.S. Where the hell does that 'soccer' name came from? This is a legit quetion.

From "Association Football"; as opposed to "Rugby Football", sometimes called "rugger".

• The design engineer for all iPods and Macs, is a Brit. Jonathan Ive.

• The ipods CPUs (two ARMs) are of British design too. 🙂

• They gave me a deep-seated dislike of over-priveliged accident-of-birth jerk-offs who should be post-natally aborted as soon as possible. Like that whole unbelievable story of Lady Diana - a woman who couldn't even hold a pencil straight gets feted as some kind of humanitarian, whereas in reality it was all a great big publicity stunt designed to get her profile a bit higher after Charley dumped her. All it took was a car accident to get her sainted. Oh the gullibility of the average media dupe....

• What about the TV? Oh yeah, that was the Scots.

Umm, so Scotland isn't part of the UK? Think you need some education before continuing in this debate.

• @JvdL said:

In this week's issue of The Economist, there's a two-page spread advertisement from UK Trade & Investment, a government body promoting "UK's cutting-edge technological revolution". The advertisements shouts (I'd post a picture but I'm short of wooden tables):

@UK Trade & Investment said:

So, apart from the iPod, the internet, Oxford University, investment banking, the railway, penicillin, Concorde, bioscience, copyright, catseyes (and the corkscrew)... what has the UK ever done for you?

OK, so Apple's Chief of Cool is a Brit, but the iPod a UK invention???

And His Pompousness Sir Berners Lee may have glued together the first HTTP server, but the internet already existed 20 years before that.

And if the UK is so cutting edge, why do these guys work in San Francisco and Geneva?

Bioscience? Whatever.

Investment Banking? Britain's first investment bank, Barings, was founded 1763 - Germany's Berenberg was founded 1590.

Copyright? The Berne Convention, intitiated by the French, established that in 1886. Britain was one of the last countries to adopt it.

But you gotta hand it to them - they did invent the corkscrew.

Why do you come on here and post this question? Did you want to start some kind of flame war? I think there are better forums for this kind of pathetic post. 

• I don't see why Oxford is on that list. Oxford is rubbish. Cambridge is awesome.

What about the industrial revolution? That's probably the most important thing Britain exported and it's not on that list.

I think Thermos flasks are worthy of mention too 🙂

Edit: Also, the first programmable computer was British.

• @slyadams said:

Why do you come on here and post this question? Did you want to start some kind of flame war? I think there are better forums for this kind of pathetic post. 

It isn't a question, it's a quote - and no flame war intended.

I don't mean to imply there aren't many innovations from the UK, but many of the items on this list are questionably of UK origin.

I just struck me that the government official who made this up couldn't think of better examples of British invention, like sense of humour.

• Joke: Why don't the British make computers anymore?  They couldn't figure out how to make them leak oil!

But seriously.  I haven't been impressed with the stuff coming out of [i]actual[/i] British tech companies.  Let's see, what are the modern British programming languages?  There's Haskell... great!  Then there is Gödel and Whitespace.  One of them is a fairly fast and portable language with its own interpreter written in Haskell, and the other one is Gödel.

• @slyadams said:

Umm, so Scotland isn't part of the UK? Think you need some education before continuing in this debate.

Yes, obviously part of the UK, but I'm gunning for England here.

I don't see the point of the UK. As NI, Scotland and Wales are actually seperate countries, the idea of the UK is pretty much the same as the idea of Europe. So therefore whenever anybody mentions the UK, I generally assume they actually mean England rather than all 4 countries, as that is usually what people do mean (especially as UK is much shorter to type than England)

• @mentaldingo said:

Nope. 

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/06/02/zuse_computer/ 

• @ammoQ said:

@mentaldingo said:

Nope. 

Try again... [url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Babbage#Analytical_engine[/url] 

• Yes, obviously part of the UK, but I'm gunning for England here.

I
    don't see the point of the UK. As NI, Scotland and Wales are actually
    seperate countries, the idea of the UK is pretty much the same as the
    idea of Europe. So therefore whenever anybody mentions the UK, I
    generally assume they actually mean England rather than all 4
    countries, as that is usually what people do mean (especially as UK is
    much shorter to type than England)

Well, that shows your ignorance. The UK is not analogous to Europe at all. The best analogy is really that of the US.  England, Scotland, Wales and NI are all states and the UK is the 'federal' body. Each country can make some of its own laws (although some are, and will always be, centrally controlled) but overall ultimate control is central.

If you are gunning for England then say England. Saying otherwise just highlights the ignorance of your posts. Saying that "whenever anybody mentions the UK, I generally assume they actually mean England" firstly makes my point for me and secondly generally highlights the ignorance that you don't actually know anything about England or the UK. Still, its outside the borders of the USA so I don't expect much more to be honest.

• Joke: Why don't the British make computers anymore?  They couldn't figure out how to make them leak oil!

But seriously.  I haven't been impressed with the stuff coming out of actual
    British tech companies.  Let's see, what are the modern British
    programming languages?  There's Haskell... great!  Then there is Gödel
    and Whitespace.  One of them is a fairly fast and portable language
    with its own interpreter written in Haskell, and the other one is Gödel.

I see, so production of programming languages is synonymous with technical advancement and achievement?

I know, I'll invent an equally arbitrary 'technology index' of quality of cars. They're technical after all. It is generally world renowned that American cars are, barring a few exceptions, terrible. See, I can make arbitrary statements too.

• And Barings collapsed... due to a British trader.

Enron/Worldcom? 

• @GettinSadda said:

@ammoQ said:
    @mentaldingo said:

Nope. 

Try again... [url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Babbage#Analytical_engine[/url] 

However, as you can also read there, the Analytical Engine was never actually built. The Zuse was the first usable, programmable computer.

• I see, so production of programming languages is synonymous with technical advancement and achievement?

I
    know, I'll invent an equally arbitrary 'technology index' of quality of
    cars. They're technical after all. It is generally world renowned that
    American cars are, barring a few exceptions, terrible. See, I can make
    arbitrary statements too.

OK... you'd be totally correct there as far as I'm concerned.  No arguments from me.  I just figured, you know, programming languages and software were kind of something we all could relate to here.

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.