Android SDK install path cannot contain spaces...

• State of computing in 70s is totally irrelevant. An extra call that buys absolutely nothing is an extra call that buys absolutely nothing today just as then.

The difference is in philosophy. Unix was a product of the failure of the horribly overengineered Multics and thus the goal was that it shouldn't do anything that is not absolutely necessary and that if problem can't be solved well, fudging it for the common case and closing eyes to the rest is just fine. And it works and it works remarkably well. Windows on the other hand strived for flexibility. Somewhere it worked, somewhere it didn't. In this case it didn't bring any advantage.

• @boomzilla said:

We don't have to imagine very much. Windows puts all of its 64-bit system files into System32. And 32-bit stuff is now WoW64.

(still catching up, might be :hanzo:d)

And system32 came about during the 16-to-32bit transition. Ah, backwards compatibility... (The \windows\system directory is amazingly empty these days. More likely I'm just not installing really old really crappy shit. Just (new) really crappy shit)

• @blakeyrat said:

Either way, if you're not testing the installer, you're not testing the product. The installer's one of the most important parts.

QFT

Not criticizing @mott555's process - dev is different. But too many people assume installers are a do-it-in-5-minute thing. No. Just no. Especially with MSI. And even more especially without MSI when you reinvent the wheel. (I worked on VMware's Tools installer. I'm glad I don't do that anymore)

• @dcon said:

@boomzilla said:
    We don't have to imagine very much. Windows puts all of its 64-bit system files into System32. And 32-bit stuff is now WoW64.

(still catching up, might be :hanzo:d)

And system32 came about during the 16-to-32bit transition. Ah, backwards compatibility... (The \windows\system directory is amazingly empty these days. More likely I'm just not installing really old really crappy shit. Just (new) really crappy shit)

That last part inspired me to look at my machine that was installed from scratch with Win7-Pro/64 back in 2011, and updated to Win10-Pro/64 last year.

C:\Windows\System contains one directory, "Speech", which contains three .xsd files. And that's all.

I'd also like to point out that Microsoft is really, really good at backwards compatibility, all the way down to emulating bugs in old versions of Windows on a "what version were you linked for? Oh, that one, OK, you get this and this and this bug emulated, but not those ones" basis. That, as well as Roaming Profiles, sold many millions (probably (short-scale) billions) of copies of Windows.

And don't forget that at one time, the Win32 API included at least one group of DOS int 21h calls.

• @mott555 said:

I LOVE how Discourse's composer stopped processing keystrokes in the right order

Ah - that's where they added multithreading!

• FoxDev

@Bulb said:

The difference is in philosophy. Unix was a product of the failure of the horribly overengineered Multics and thus the goal was that it shouldn't do anything that is not absolutely necessary and that if problem can't be solved well, fudging it for the common case and closing eyes to the rest is just fine.

Y'see, that's a better argument, as it, funnily enough, does take into account the state of computing in the 70s ;)

• No, it does not. The philosophy does not depend on time. It was a result of a specific experience, but it is just as applicable today as it was then.