Writer search - Arantor's... suggestion

• You know the phrase "fake it until you make it"?

The part that it doesn't cover is the people who you assume "made it" are actually still faking it.

• @blakeyrat said:

You know the phrase "fake it until you make it"?

The part that it doesn't cover is the people who you assume "made it" are actually still faking it.

Yeah, I'm still figuring that one out. See... I've never been good at faking things, and there is the naive innocent part of me that assumes everyone else isn't either. But I'm slowly realising that a lot of people are full of shit.

• @Arantor said:

But I'm slowly realising that a lot of people are full of shit.

Everybody's full of shit.

I can guarantee Alfred Hitchcock, halfway into making North by Northwest, had that moment where he looked in a mirror and said to himself, "oh man, I'm such a fraud, this movie is going to be awful and everybody's going to find out and my career will be over."

• I've never been especially good at faking it 😦 But I think I might just be getting better. Just a little.

• @Arantor said:

I now know I can do this.

👍

• @blakeyrat said:

I can guarantee Alfred Hitchcock, halfway into making North by Northwest, had that moment where he looked in a mirror and said to himself, "oh man, I'm such a fraud, this movie is going to be awful and everybody's going to find out and my career will be over."

OTOH, you have the people (not thinking of anyone in particular) who look in the mirror and say to themselves, "Oh man, I'm a genius. This is going to be the best movie ever!" Resulting movie winds up being featured here.

Don't be too down on yourself, @Arantor, but don't go too far the other direction, either (not that that appears likely to be a problem).

• Speaking of Hitchcock, I have a DVD set of some of his really early films. There is only one in the whole set I'd even heard the title of. (Did you know he made silent films? And films in assorted genres, not just mystery/suspense?) Were it not for his later fame, many of these would be totally forgotten, and deservedly so; some of them just aren't very good.

But he persisted, and polished his craft, and eventually became the incomparable genius we remember today. Good inspiration.

• @HardwareGeek said:

Speaking of Hitchcock, I have a DVD set of some of his really early films. There is only one in the whole set I'd even heard the title of. (Did you know he made silent films? And films in assorted genres, not just mystery/suspense?) Were it not for his later fame, many of these would be totally forgotten, and deservedly so; some of them just aren't very good.

But he persisted, and polished his craft, and eventually became the incomparable genius we remember today. Good inspiration.

Indeed. I saw a documentary about him not that long ago - and the films we all know and love are quite, well, late in his career in the scheme of things.

My problem here is that historically I have expected a lot of myself - far beyond what my skills can possibly manage at the time - and then set myself up for the inevitable failure. Unlike Hitchcock, I put my things aside for years to do the 'real world' thing, not embracing it and failing, before learning to fail better, before succeeding.

Not an easy lesson to learn when you're convinced from the off that you'll never be good enough but a lesson to learn nonetheless. And so begins chapter 2 of my story as I write this.