Emoji do not get rendered with EmojiOne

• Considered Harmful

πŸ™„

• kills Dumbledore

Looks rendered to me

• Considered Harmful

@Jaloopa But not with EmojiOne.

• how is this a bug?

Is "words" not getting rendered using 5 images also a bug?

• kills Dumbledore

@ben_lubar said in Emoji do not get rendered with EmojiOne:

how is this a bug?

It's not exactly the same as what discourse does

• Considered Harmful

@ben_lubar If you were using Arial, and there was some magic Markdown thing you could do (besides a style component) that made it start rendering in Comic Sans, I'd file that under 'bug'.

• @pie_flavor said in Emoji do not get rendered with EmojiOne:

@ben_lubar If you were using Arial, and there was some magic Markdown thing you could do (besides a style component) that made it start rendering in Comic Sans, I'd file that under 'bug'.

Hmm...the CSS font-family for that element is Roboto,"Helvetica Neue",Helvetica,Arial,sans-serif. Assuming none of those have the appropriate glyph, the browser is free to select any font it wants that has it.

So I'd ask things like: What OS and browser? Which EmojiOne fonts are installed, and what did you do to install them? When doing so, did you do anything to the standard system fonts? Are there any relevant browser settings you've changed? Are you using an extension (or equivalent) to override the CSS or the browser's font selection? If so, what settings/custom styles/etc. are you using?

• Considered Harmful

@Parody Are you saying you see it any differently?

• kills Dumbledore

@pie_flavor differently to what? You haven't actually explained the issue.

For reference, here's your OP in normal view
    0_1537704975894_Screenshot_20180923-131449.png

And here's view raw
    0_1537704994508_Screenshot_20180923-131455.png

• area_can

πŸ™„ πŸ™„

I think this may have changed recently. however :emoji: will still be emojione

• @bb36e said in Emoji do not get rendered with EmojiOne:

I think this may have changed recently.

Nope. We've never had any system in place that would replace single Unicode codepoints with HTML tags.

• @Jaloopa I believe that font is called Noto Color Emoji.

• @pie_flavor On my Windows 10 (1803 64-bit) system, using Vivaldi 1.15 (so Chromium), installing the Apple version of the EmojiOne 3.12 font resulted in Vivaldi still using Segoe UI Emoji and Segoe UI Symbol.

Forcing the font via Stylus (font-family: "Apple Color Emoji Regular", "Apple Color Emoji", sans-serif !important;) resulted in nothing appearing where the emoji character should have been. I haven't worked with color font glyphs at all and I haven't dug into that font to see how it's built, so I'm not sure if it should have worked. If I had to take a guess I'd say it was perhaps trying to display the non-color version of that glyph and failing miserably in some way.

The EmojiOne website doesn't offer a Windows-specific version of their fonts, just ones labeled for Android and Apple. The workaround offered elsewhere involves running a script that merges their font with Segoe UI Emoji and Segoe UI Symbol (replacing the shared glyphs with EmojiOne's) then replaces those two system fonts in the Fonts folder. I don't recommend doing that.

I don't have a modern Mac OS machine or an iDevice, so I haven't tried those. I haven't bothered trying it on my Android phone, which I would imagine uses Noto.

• @ben_lubar said in Emoji do not get rendered with EmojiOne:

@bb36e said in Emoji do not get rendered with EmojiOne:

Nope. We've never had any system in place that would replace single Unicode codepoints with HTML tags.

:disco:🐴 does do such a replacement, if I remember our adventure with said horse correctly?

• :belt_onion:

@AlexMedia said in Emoji do not get rendered with EmojiOne:

@bb36e said in Emoji do not get rendered with EmojiOne:

:disco:🐴 does do such a replacement, if I remember our adventure with said horse correctly?

Discord also does the same.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

I'd argue the Discourse behaviour is wrong, although it's not the worst thing in the world.

If I've typed a unicode character then that's what I want, not an image.

@loopback0 said in Emoji do not get rendered with EmojiOne:

I'd argue the Discourse behaviour is wrong, although it's not the worst thing in the world.

η„‘ :mu:...

It's fine… as long as it loads an entirely separate image for each letter. πŸ†

@dkf said in Emoji do not get rendered with EmojiOne:

It's fine… as long as it loads an entirely separate image for each letter. πŸ†

.. from different CDN servers...

• BINNED

@PJH
    And at least one should report 502 OK

• @loopback0 said in Emoji do not get rendered with EmojiOne:

That's a good point:

This keyboard is an image from some iteration of EmojiOne and is provided by the forum: 🎹.

This keyboard is a Unicode character and is provided by your browser or the system fonts: 🎹.

The first post in the thread uses a character, not the forum's emoji.

@Parody Ed Zachary.

WordPad had bugs like that when editing plain text files.

• @loopback0 said in Emoji do not get rendered with EmojiOne:

If anything, it'd be nicer to have it work the other way, and replace the image with a Unicode character when one exists. The Unicode character will quote properly and can be copied and pasted as text.

• Notification Spam Recipient

@anotherusername said in Emoji do not get rendered with EmojiOne:

@pie_flavor said in Emoji do not get rendered with EmojiOne:

WordPad had bugs like that when editing plain text files.

I liked the bush hid the facts notepad bug.

• @PJH said in Emoji do not get rendered with EmojiOne:

πŸ… πŸ…

@anotherusername said in Emoji do not get rendered with EmojiOne:

@PJH said in Emoji do not get rendered with EmojiOne:

πŸ… πŸ…

βš«β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€β€ ⚫

• Considered Harmful

@anotherusername Or, it could use the image functionality, but when copied, it copies as the actual emoji character.
    I know, right? Copying and pasting things working correctly? Spooky.

• Considered Harmful

@Parody said in Emoji do not get rendered with EmojiOne:

That's a good point:

This keyboard is an image from some iteration of EmojiOne and is provided by the forum: 🎹.

This keyboard is a Unicode character and is provided by your browser or the system fonts: 🎹.

The first post in the thread uses a character, not the forum's emoji.

So? You're talking about what gets sent in the HTML. I'm talking about what actually happens.
    On Twitter, if I type an emoji, not only does it post as a Twitter-style emoji, but it actually gets replaced with that emoji in the text box. Shocking that websites actually have end user oriented functionality instead of making noise about the difference between an character and an image that is rendered on nearly every page making discussions about the size difference :mu:.

@anotherusername Or, it could use the image functionality, but when copied, it copies as the actual emoji character.

What if it's not a standard emoji? :trollface:

@pie_flavor So?

I type k I get k not an image of a k.
    If I type an emoji, I should get the emoji not an image of it. Especially because I've usually had to Google how to get the emoji keyboard first.

• Considered Harmful

@loopback0 You get something that looks like a k whose mouse pointer is the text selection pointer. It does not functionally matter whether it is an actual k or an svg, so long as you can't tell the difference from memory usage or functionality.

• Considered Harmful

@Tsaukpaetra Then it just copies the text used to generate it (such as :β€Œtrollface:).

It does not functionally matter

What matters is that if I wanted an image of an emoji then I'd insert one, which is what I normally do.
    If i go to the effort of reminding myself how to type an emoji then that's what I want, not what the forum software thinks I wanted.

it just copies the text used to generate it (such as :β€Œtrollface:).

This part is something Discourse actually got right. If the user deliberately used an image of an emoji.
    Selecting text which contains the images of emoji and quoting it includes the :text: so it remains intact in the quote. This works for images in posts too.

0_1537743891190_235c4c54-c199-470c-9cb9-76dbee744825-image.png
    0_1537743914711_05a41834-f3f6-43eb-905b-0b17dfd1596a-image.png

• Considered Harmful

@loopback0 You keep saying "images of emoji" as if it is somehow a separate concept from emoji themselves.

@pie_flavor Simply to distinguish what the user used. One being an emoji, the other a representation of one.

• Considered Harmful

@loopback0 So πŸ‘… is not an emoji?

That is not an emoji. It is an image.

• Considered Harmful

@ben_lubar Funny, I'm pretty sure that if I asked that in any other context, you'd say that it was an emoji. And so would most everyone.

Is pie_flavor an emoji?

• Considered Harmful

@Tsaukpaetra Yes. It's a small picture inserted into text, trying to describe an emotion, idea, thing, or person.

@Tsaukpaetra Yes. It's a small picture inserted into text, trying to describe an emotion, idea, thing, or person.

Alright, then how is it rendered in EmojiOne?

• @anotherusername said in Emoji do not get rendered with EmojiOne:

If anything, it'd be nicer to have it work the other way, and replace the image with a Unicode character when one exists. The Unicode character will quote properly and can be copied and pasted as text.

Yeah, I'm not a big fan of Unicode emoji, but if we have to have a zillion new color images in fonts we might as well support them. I guess? πŸ€·πŸ»β™‚

So? You're talking about what gets sent in the HTML. I'm talking about what actually happens.

So am I. You posted that text wasn't being displayed in a way you wanted. Oddly enough, I treated it as a text problem.

On Twitter, if I type an emoji, not only does it post as a Twitter-style emoji, but it actually gets replaced with that emoji in the text box.

I get annoyed with that; if I type :) I want a colon and a right parenthesis, not a substituted image/symbol character. Sadly, I've been outvoted, so I try to find workarounds. :) :) :) ☺ πŸ™‚

Aside: it would help if you included some of this information with your bug report feature request, so the rest of us know :wtf: you're talking about.

@Parody Ed Zachary.

Umm...I guess you're saying you think one looks nice and one doesn't? Maybe that both look ugly? Sure, enjoy.

@Parody said in Emoji do not get rendered with EmojiOne:

@Parody Ed Zachary.

Umm...I guess you're saying you think one looks nice and one doesn't? Maybe that both look ugly? Sure, enjoy.

I think he was trying to say "Exactly" but typed that instead. :mlp_shrug: g

• Considered Harmful

@Tsaukpaetra said in Emoji do not get rendered with EmojiOne:

πŸ₯§

@Tsaukpaetra said in Emoji do not get rendered with EmojiOne:

πŸ₯§

Almost literally everything about πŸ₯§ is reverse from pie_flavor .

Pic for posterity in case either changes:

0_1537759507824_e906bb7c-9876-4efa-9a7a-c97f5a464a08-image.png

• Considered Harmful

@Tsaukpaetra That's because you use dark theme. Stuff is inverted there.

The easiest way to do that would be to use a <span> with its background-image set to the image and the actual emoji character inside it as text, but styled so that it's outside the element's view box.

• @Parody said in Emoji do not get rendered with EmojiOne:

I get annoyed with that; if I type :) I want a colon and a right parenthesis

I have modified one of these settings and do not plan to modify the other.

0_1537760643130_486df8cc-f269-40b8-a864-cfc7b2e9c382-image.png