Crohasit

• ♿ (Parody)

My son came home telling me that his friend knows this great place to get free games.

https://crohasit.com/about/

Supposedly they have "extended demos" for free download. But of course:

0_1523311997562_2163b8ac-c596-43eb-832c-9f3fdb92aaea-image.png

This smells to me like a super place to download some pirated malware. They have download links and torrents. Links go to UploadHaven. Is there any way that this not exactly what it looks like?

• Considered Harmful

@boomzilla No. You can't copy text, you can't right click links, so the website is fishy straight up front and from my experience that is immediate pirate site behavior. It seems to be basically a shell site popularity stealer for crotorrents.com, which is just another torrent agglommerator rehost for popular uploaders.

In short this one gets blocked posthaste.

• Verdicts:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Piracy/comments/4mmu6z/is_crohasit_safe/

Pirated, but "safe" (meaning: no malware)

Reviews mention fake downloads full of malware and misleading fake download buttons

Pirated but "safe" provided you follow this long set of instructions

Pretty far into the "unsafe" bar.

From their homepage:

The goal of this website is directed towards providing PC gamers with the latest game releases. These game releases are functionable and stimulate minor characteristics of an actual copy of a game, however these games contain limited functionality, thus not qualifying them to be given the title of an “actual copy”

This sounds like the kind of gibberish pirates use to try to justify their work as "not actually piracy".

– by this, we hereby state that these games do not contain: the multiplayer functionality, future updates to additional in-game content, and the ability to add dlc’s.

Right; that's what happens when you illegally strip their Steam integration and anti-cheat behavior. I like how they say that as if they did it on purpose, instead of just being a side-effect of their cracking.

At crohasit.com, we believe in providing gamers with “extended demos” of the latest games will empower them with the advantage of trialing a game, before their actual purchase of a full copy at any retailer.

More bullshit to assuage pirate guilt.

We also do not encourage the dis-acknowledgement of any game developer/franchise whatsoever; we instead encourage gamers to go out and purchase the actual copy of the game once they have made enough use of the extended demos we provide them with, in order to support their favorite developers, as well as gain the fully-functioning gaming experience of any game released.

How sweet of them.

• Considered Harmful

@blakeyrat Yeah, forgot to mention those. The actual downloads are legit (pirated legit, not legit legit) - trusted uploaders only. But the site is absolutely clogged with malicious links and popups and shit. I didn't mention it because I've dealt with it so many times it barely registers as abnormal anymore.

• ♿ (Parody)

Excellent. Thanks, guys, that's pretty much what I told him it looked like.

• 🚽 Regular

@blakeyrat quoted:

stimulate minor

I don't think that's legal.