Software outsourcing



  • I don't know if this has been mentioned here before, but I thought it worth a mention....

    "Log audit reveals developer outsourced his job to China"



  • So the guy actually Fedexed a physical security token rather than just setting his offshore subcontractors up with a second VPN terminated at his own house?

    Cheeky, but what a goose.



  • @pscs said:

    I don't know if this has been mentioned here before, but I thought it worth a mention....

    Log audit reveals developer outsourced his job to China



  • This sort of thing makes me wonder what else people are doing, but actually getting away with.



  • Bit like being on TDWTF!



  •  It would be truly amazing if he interviewed for the outsourcing positions. This isn't so much a WTF as a positive example to all of us.



  • Sounds like a nice business model. How do I get the contact address of one of these (obviously quite capable) chinese developers?



  •  I saw this on el-reg this morning and couldn't help forwarding it to our software developers, I don't officially do software anymore (although in exchange for various bonusses they have had me write quite a few bits of software for various police forces since I started since the in house devs are useless) so I'm not overly bothered about software TBH. So long as I keep doing my official job, which is testing, I'm happy.

    Thing is I didn't send it as a bit of a laugh, deep down I kind of hope they take the idea on board. I can't helping thinking it would be a win-win-win situation for us all. They'd get money for less work, the software we get in return might actually work properly and I'd be able to spend more time just signing off the release notes because it works first time instead of feeding back a list of bugs which they never fix and wasting my time testing it again.

     



  • @flabdablet said:

    So the guy actually Fedexed a physical security token rather than just setting his offshore subcontractors up with a second VPN terminated at his own house?

    Cheeky, but what a goose.

     

    Would not work.  Corporate VPN concentrators are guaranteed to be configured to disable split tunneling, so the instant the work VPN connection is established, the VPN to China disconnects because the PC with the VPN connection gets it's local interfaces disabled.

     



  • @Kyanar said:

    Would not work.  Corporate VPN concentrators are guaranteed to be configured to disable split tunneling, so the instant the work VPN connection is established, the VPN to China disconnects because the PC with the VPN connection gets it's local interfaces disabled.
    There are several easy ways to work around that, by far the simplest one is to establish VPN connection from a VM.


Log in to reply
 

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.