Build failed with 0 warnings and 0 errors

• A build on the CI box (CruiseControl.NET) was failing but I couldn't see any obvious errors. So I tried building just one of the many web sites and services on my PC and got this:

I'm so used to seeing red when builds fail that I didn't even realise it had failed to build.

• "When a file does not exist,

is it an error to try to update the file?"

-old programmer's koan

• @SEMI-HYBRID code said:

"When a file does not exist,

-old programmer's koan

Seems like they couldn't decide so they ended up choosing both...

• @poizan42 said:

@SEMI-HYBRID code said:
    "When a file does not exist,

-old programmer's koan

Seems like they couldn't decide so they ended up choosing both...

Mu!

• This reminds me of a thing that once happened to me, but wasn't worth making a topic for it only:

CD recording error

It says:

The disk image was recorded successfully because an error occurred. Failure in recording because the unit returned an error without chance of recovery.

And before anyone asks, yeah, the disk (ubuntu installer) worked without any problems.

• Turns out the build failure was because of a particular task failing but not outputting any errors:

Task "CollectFilesinFolder" (TaskId:470)
    Done executing task "CollectFilesinFolder" -- FAILED. (TaskId:470)

I looked at this task in a decompiler and saw that it loads an error message but never actually does anything with the error message (because who would like to actually see the reason for a build failure?):

if (!Directory.Exists(this.RootPath))
    {
    	SR.GetString("BUILDTASK_ColectFilesInFolder_RootIsNotValid", this.RootPath);
    	return false;
    }

•  Nice find! So whose build code should be named and shamed?

•  Colect?

• @Husky said:

This reminds me of a thing that once happened to me, but wasn't worth making a topic for it only:

[snip image]

It says:

The disk image was recorded successfully because an error occurred. Failure in recording because the unit returned an error without chance of recovery.

And before anyone asks, yeah, the disk (ubuntu installer) worked without any problems.

Well, it's better then why my copies of the Windows ISO burner seem to do: Appear to successfully finish only to find that the disk image is corrupted when trying to use it.

• enum Bool 
    { 
        True, 
        False, 
        FileNotFound,
        Mu
    };

• @LoremIpsumDolorSitAmet said:

Nice find! So whose build code should be named and shamed?

It's in Microsoft's "Microsoft.Web.Publishing.Tasks" assembly.

Well, it's better then why my copies of the Windows ISO burner seem to do: Appear to successfully finish only to find that the disk image is corrupted when trying to use it.
    I used to use CDBurnerXP and it seemed to "freeze" when bad things happened. The app wasn't actually locked up or frozen, but the progress bar got stuck at a certain percentage and wouldn't move, and nothing was written to the log. I think it's just a big wrapper around a CD burning COM/ActiveX component so maybe it just wasn't handling the errors correctly.