This is the sort of design sense you need to work for Microsoft



  • A coworker installed Office 2013 on his system. I warned him about the CAPSLOCK menus, but he did it anyway.

    He sent me a screenshot of the new icon for Outlook:

    Ho hum

    A little monochromatic, but not bad. Then when you have new messages, it indicates this with...

    Yay

    Another envelope! Yay! I can imagine the design meeting quite vividly.

    "What should we put on the new Outlook icon?"

    "How about an envelope?"

    "Great! And what should we display on the taskbar icon when there are new messages?"

    "...An envelope?"

    "Brilliant!"



  • @db2 said:

    I warned him about the CAPSLOCK menus

    Why do people complain about these? Seriously, they are not distracting or annoying. If you find all caps so distracting that you can't help to look at them you probably need help.

    @db2 said:

    Another envelope!

    Well, for starters, it's orange so it stands out, and if you're orange\blue colour blind, you need only look at the little orange envelope that appears in the system tray.


  • Discourse touched me in a no-no place

    @db2 said:

    A coworker installed Office 2013 on his system. I warned him about the CAPSLOCK menus, but he did it anyway.

    He sent me a screenshot of the new icon for Outlook:

    Ho hum

    A little monochromatic, but not bad. Then when you have new messages, it indicates this with...

    Yay

    Another envelope! Yay! I can imagine the design meeting quite vividly.

    "What should we put on the new Outlook icon?"

    "How about an envelope?"

    "Great! And what should we display on the taskbar icon when there are new messages?"

    "...An envelope?"

    "Brilliant!"

     

     

    Imagine that.  An email client shows an envelope icon overlay over it's own icon, and unlike older versions, even puts it in a different color.

     



  • Also, you can change the menu to not be in caps.  (Or at least you can in VS)



  • What would you have used as a new email indicator?

    Here's my recommendation:



  • @blakeyrat said:

    What would you have used as a new email indicator?

    Here's my recommendation:

    I like that one.

    But the point isn't so much that they're using an envelope for the new mail indicator, rather that there was already an envelope on there to begin with. One green light means stop! Two green lights mean go!



  • @Douglasac said:

    @db2 said:
    I warned him about the CAPSLOCK menus

    Why do people complain about these? Seriously, they are not distracting or annoying. If you find all caps so distracting that you can't help to look at them you probably need help. ....

     

    REALLY YOU DON'T MIND LOOKING AT ALL CAPS? I PERSONALLY FIND IT A BIT ANNOYING, AT LEAST AT FIRST. GRANTED IT DOES MAKE ME NOTSALGIC FOR MY DAYS OF WORKING ON AN AS/400.

     



  • @Sutherlands said:

    Also, you can change the menu to not be in caps.  (Or at least you can in VS)

    How about a recipe for doing that in VS2012?



  • @alegr said:

    @Sutherlands said:

    Also, you can change the menu to not be in caps.  (Or at least you can in VS)

    How about a recipe for doing that in VS2012?

     

    [url="http://blogs.msdn.com/b/zainnab/archive/2012/06/14/turn-off-the-uppercase-menu-in-visual-studio-2012.aspx"]Recipe[/url]

    1. Open the registry editor and go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft<b>VisualStudio\11.0\General\
      (For Windows 8 Express go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft<b>VSWinExpress\11.0\General)
    2. (For Web Express go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft<b>VSWDExpress\11.0\General)

    3. Create a new DWORD value called SuppressUppercaseConversion set to 1

     

     



  • @Lorne Kates said:

    Recipe

    I like this guy's comment, about which we could have a long discussion:
    @Jaime* said:


    Great solution. It seems hard to imagine anything easier than adding a single key to the registry.

    I have looked at the intersection of the set of Visual Studio users, and the set of people who haven't altered their registry. It was an empty set. This is not hacking. This is using your computer.

    • I'm not trying to imply it's TDWTF's Jaime, but that might make for a better flamefest, so maybe I should.


  • @RichP said:

    GRANTED IT DOES MAKE ME NOTSALGIC FOR MY DAYS OF WORKING ON AN AS/400.

    Basically everything about Windows makes me nostalgic for AS/400.



  • @bridget99 said:

    @RichP said:
    GRANTED IT DOES MAKE ME NOTSALGIC FOR MY DAYS OF WORKING ON AN AS/400.

    Basically everything about Windows makes me nostalgic for AS/400.

    We, too, are nostalgic for you having an AS/400.



  • @Sutherlands said:

    We, too, are nostalgic for you having an AS/400.

    Come now, if he wasn't at least familiar with modern things then his trolling attempts wouldn't even parse correctly.  Personally I prefer his semi-competent trolling to the junk he would be spewing otherwise.



  • @Sutherlands said:

    @bridget99 said:
    @RichP said:
    GRANTED IT DOES MAKE ME NOTSALGIC FOR MY DAYS OF WORKING ON AN AS/400.

    Basically everything about Windows makes me nostalgic for AS/400.

    We, too, are nostalgic for you having an AS/400.
     

    Now I want a screenshot of this thread on AS/400.

    :|



  • @Lorne Kates said:

    @Sutherlands said:

    @bridget99 said:
    @RichP said:
    GRANTED IT DOES MAKE ME NOTSALGIC FOR MY DAYS OF WORKING ON AN AS/400.

    Basically everything about Windows makes me nostalgic for AS/400.

    We, too, are nostalgic for you having an AS/400.
     

    Now I want a screenshot of this thread on AS/400.

    :|

    Power7



  • @db2 said:

    I warned him about the CAPSLOCK menus

    What are Capslock menus? The only things I can find on Google is that people are complaining about them without saying what they are. I'm going to assume that pressing capslock opens up a menu.

    If only Microsoft would hire people from circlejerk-filled message boards instead of experienced UX designers, this sort of thing will never happen.


  • sockdevs

    @Lorne Kates said:

    1. Open the registry editor and go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft<b>VisualStudio\11.0\General\
      (For Windows 8 Express go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft<b>VSWinExpress\11.0\General)
    2. (For Web Express go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft<b>VSWDExpress\11.0\General)

    3. Create a new DWORD value called SuppressUppercaseConversion set to 1

    $10 to the first person to create an extension to set this in VS2012 itself.



  • @MiffTheFox said:

    @db2 said:
    I warned him about the CAPSLOCK menus

    What are Capslock menus?

    MENUS THAT ARE IN ALL CAPITALS


  • Discourse touched me in a no-no place

    @MiffTheFox said:

    What are Capslock menus?
    From the "Recipe" link above:



  • @PJH said:

    From the "Recipe" link above:
     

    I'm kinda with Douglasac on that one - the menu headings being all in UPPERCASE doesn't look too bad to me - if anything, it makes them stand out as being the things to aim for with the mouse pointer.

    Do all the links in the drop-down menus also appear in upper case, or just the menu headings? I can see how that would be annoying fast.



  •  MS are breaking so many of their own rules lately. And they can't even be consistent with themselves either. Docked panels don't have uppercase titles, and neither to the ribbon tabs in Office. Hey, wait a minute, why does VS even have a traditional menu if they're so focused on putting the ribbon everywhere? Probably because it was rushed and unfinished, like Office 2013 for ARM.








  • @Douglasac said:

    @db2 said:
    I warned him about the CAPSLOCK menus
    WHY DO PEOPLE COMPLAIN ABOUT THESE? SERIOUSLY, THEY ARE NOT DISTRACTING OR ANNOYING. IF YOU FIND ALL CAPS SO DISTRACTING THAT YOU CAN'T HELP TO LOOK AT THEM YOU PROBABLY NEED HELP.

    FTFY.

    Even if you don't immediately feel like it's some kiddy yelling at you (I was about to say script kiddy, but they use rAndOm Cas3), it's annoying.
    What's worse, it's horrible for readability. Imagine reading a book in all uppercase. The words don't have a nice outline and the spacing is awful too.


  • sockdevs

    @LoremIpsumDolorSitAmet said:

    MS are breaking so many of their own rules lately.

    Lately? I think you mean forever :)

    @LoremIpsumDolorSitAmet said:

    And they can't even be consistent with themselves either.

    Been that way since 1975.

    @LoremIpsumDolorSitAmet said:

    Hey, wait a minute, why does VS even have a traditional menu if they're so focused on putting the ribbon everywhere?

    Because the VS team didn't want to use the ribbon. Besides, VS has so many menus and menu options the ribbon would be overloaded.

    @LoremIpsumDolorSitAmet said:

    Probably because it was rushed and unfinished, like Office
    2013 for ARM.

    To be fair, MS do advertise Office 2013 for ARM as a Preview edition.

     



  • @PJH said:

    @MiffTheFox said:
    What are Capslock menus?
    From the "Recipe" link above:

    Wow. I've used Visual Studio 2012 damn near daily for about two months and never noticed those.

    Does... does anyone else here complaining about them actually use it?

    I thought I'd hate the non-native window border but in practice I just ignore it. As long as it doesn't try to set the mode on my graphics card and assume I only have one monitor I'm good.



  • @LoremIpsumDolorSitAmet said:

    MS are breaking so many of their own rules lately.

    Apple's been doing it since 2001 and they've had record sales. Why shouldn't Microsoft?

    The invisible hand speaks!



  • @blakeyrat said:

    The invisible hand speaks!

    Unfortunately it can be hard to read the signs (hands don't talk with sounds) as it's invisible.

     

    I'm bored, can someone spice up these rants?



  • @RaceProUK said:

    @LoremIpsumDolorSitAmet said:

    MS are breaking so many of their own rules lately.

    Lately? I think you mean forever :)

    Very true... Although I think they've been outdoing themselves lately. I guess it's just the side effect of a big company trying to adapt to the modern world and trying to be hip. That also goes for their 'matey' style of English in the new Office.

    I like the fact that the poor developers predicted that this would piss people off (including themselves, probably) and actually made a registry entry for it, presumably because management said they couldn't have their checkbox.

     



  • @Cassidy said:

    @PJH said:

    From the "Recipe" link above:
     

    I'm kinda with Douglasac on that one - the menu headings being all in UPPERCASE doesn't look too bad to me - if anything, it makes them stand out as being the things to aim for with the mouse pointer.

    Do all the links in the drop-down menus also appear in upper case, or just the menu headings? I can see how that would be annoying fast.

    I have 2 primary problems with the all-caps menus.

    1. They are destracting.  Items in all-caps usually demand attention.  When I am working in VS, the last thing I need is to be destracted away from my code -- I have enough destractions already.  When tried to work with them, it was just too distracting.  (On another system, monitor, running in a VM, etc, I don't have a problem with the distraction.  Might be specific to certain display's / environments)
    2. Readability.  The US government is forcing all of the localities to change their road signs to mixed-case because it was proven to increase readability enough to make it safer when driving.  Mcirosoft decides they don't need nobody to actually read the menu names, just click them.

    It just feels to me like some graphics design team desided that all-caps was the way to go for the "clean" look and they never really looked into people acually using it.



  • Regarding ALLCAPS menus, I dont mind...

    Regarding nostolgia, I dont mind....

    <font face="Courier New">.- -.-. - ..- .- .-.. .-.. -.-- --..-- / .. / .-.. .. -.- . / -- . -. ..- ... / - .... .. ... / .-- .- -.-- </font>



  •  I WANT TO JOIN THE LIBRARY, I WANT A COPY OF THE BOOK TITLED "HOW NOT TO SHOUT"



  • @TheCPUWizard said:

    Regarding ALLCAPS menus, I dont mind...

    Regarding nostolgia, I dont mind....

    <FONT face="Courier New">.- -.-. - ..- .- .-.. .-.. -.-- --..-- / .. / .-.. .. -.- . / -- . -. ..- ... / - .... .. ... / .-- .- -.-- </FONT>

    Yes, they added a lot of nostalgia with Windows 8 -- like how the windows in desktop mode look like an enhanced form of Windows 3

    (BTW, thanks for reminding me to renew my ham license)



  • Come on fanboys, Win8 is this close to becoming the next Vista or worst. Learn from Ubuntu fanboys ranting about Unity. It's a piece of shit, MS fucked up and live goes on. Maybe for Win9 (or whatever) MS will give its users what they want: an XBox with Solitaire, because that's the only thing Windows is good at this days.



  • Win8 is the next Vista. Windows "9" (actually Windows Blue) launches next year and will be only minor improvements from 8, but people will be praising it for adding features actually added in 8. In short, Blue will be the next 7. Microsoft is doing this on purpose.


  • Discourse touched me in a no-no place

    @Sutherlands said:

    @bridget99 said:
    @RichP said:
    GRANTED IT DOES MAKE ME NOTSALGIC FOR MY DAYS OF WORKING ON AN AS/400.

    Basically everything about Windows makes me nostalgic for AS/400.

    We, too, are nostalgic for you having an AS/400.
    I wish I could be nostalgiac about an AS/400. But instead, I have to put up with the monstrosities every working day of my life.



  • @MiffTheFox said:

    Win8 is the next Vista
     

    Weird. I thought it was the next Windows.



  • @Weng said:

    I wish I could be nostalgiac about an AS/400. But instead, I have to put up with the monstrosities every working day of my life.
     

    What if you hook up a super hi-res monitor?


  • Discourse touched me in a no-no place

    @dhromed said:

    @Weng said:

    I wish I could be nostalgiac about an AS/400. But instead, I have to put up with the monstrosities every working day of my life.
     

    What if you hook up a super hi-res monitor?

    Dunno. I don't have to see them, I just have to interface with software running on them.

    And in this organization, mere developers are only allowed a maximum of one 19" 4:3 CRT and one laptop screen. REAL monitors are reserved for customer service and REAL GOOD monitors are reserved for sales.

     



  •  Since they don't make CRTs anymore, I suppose they're all completely green by now?


Log in to reply
 

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.