Project Estimation

• Several months ago, another team was tasked with adding support for a new kind of customer to our suite of applications. This yielded the following whiteboard of the expected work and design changes (documented in an email to the bill-payers):

Old-Customer-1 ----\
        Old-Customer-2 -----+---> App Suite --> ...
        New-Customer-1 ----/

Now that it's way over budget, overdue and riddled with bugs, the bill-payers asked me to find out why a relatively simple graft-on took so long.

After much spelunking and arguing yelling cursing discussions with the developers, I came up with the actual workflow that had been implemented and responded to the bill-payers with the original email estimate, the image and the (perhaps overly simplified but politically correct) explanation: Underestimated complexity!

While I realize that you can only give so much detail to high-level bean counters, what you do give them should reflect the actual amount of effort involved.

• Mmm! Spaghetti!

Looks familiar, though.

• Quoting protip for those reading along at home: if not one, but two, different colored dry-erase markers dry up while documenting the workflow, you've underquoted the job.

The whiteboard would make a great prop for a movie.

Verbal: So back when I was hunning rabbits with an intern from the Ace bandage company, we were up real early, like 6AM early, and he's already complaining about his girlfriend Lucene...

Detective: You know we're trying to help you...

•  They left out the most important bit...there should be a hexagon in the middle, with all arrows leading to and from it...containing the text "A miracle occurs"..

• @GreyWolf said:

They left out the most important bit...there should be a hexagon in the middle, with all arrows leading to and from it...containing the text "A miracle occurs"..

Isn't that what the cloud is for?

• Trolleybus Mechanic

@GreyWolf said:

They left out the most important bit...there should be a hexagon in the middle, with all arrows leading to and from it...containing the text "A miracle occurs"..

I was thinkging an Octagon:

• @Lorne Kates said:

...or a pentagram

• Dr. Z had a pretty good flowchart going. Zaat!

• @snoofle said:

@Lorne Kates said:

...or a pentagram

An inverted pentagram, to be exact.