Education costs are on the rise



  • Just received an e-mail from my university's cashier's office. I'm not sure, but I think I can come up with the GDP of Timor-Leste by the beginning of time. Well, depending on what epoch they are using (it's PeopleSoft).

    The Minimum Payment listed on your most recent billing statement was not received by the due date. Please make a payment immediately to bring your account current. Failure to do so may prevent enrollment in future terms and suspension of other University privileges.
    Adjusted Amount Due: $ 0.00
    Minimum Payment Amount: $ 9210000000.00
    Payment Due Date: 00/00/0000



  • Ha, you should've paid on time! Serves you right, such an interest for being 2013 years late on the payment!



  • Good god, man! How many credits are you taking?



  • @jpaull said:

    Good god, man! How many credits are you taking?
    Back when I was at our local community college in 2003, I took 19 credits.  All of the classes except for one were online.  I was working full time.  They were easy classes, subjects in which I already had strong backgrounds, so it didn't require much time to do the homework.  (Got A's in all of them.)

    Why'd I take 19?  Because they wouldn't let me take more.  I had two more I wanted to take but they wouldn't let me.  Total load would have been 25 credits.



  • @nonpartisan said:

    @jpaull said:

    Good god, man! How many credits are you taking?
    Back when I was at our local community college in 2003, I took 19 credits.  All of the classes except for one were online.  I was working full time.  They were easy classes, subjects in which I already had strong backgrounds, so it didn't require much time to do the homework.  (Got A's in all of them.)

    Why'd I take 19?  Because they wouldn't let me take more.  I had two more I wanted to take but they wouldn't let me.  Total load would have been 25 credits.

    Maybe if you paid your $0.00 on time, they would have let you take more.



  • @nonpartisan said:

    @jpaull said:

    Good god, man! How many credits are you taking?
    Back when I was at our local community college in 2003, I took 19 credits. All of the classes except for one were online. I was working full time. They were easy classes, subjects in which I already had strong backgrounds, so it didn't require much time to do the homework. (Got A's in all of them.)

    Why'd I take 19? Because they wouldn't let me take more. I had two more I wanted to take but they wouldn't let me. Total load would have been 25 credits.

    And none of them were, How To Recognize An Obvious Joke 101.

    Also How Not To Hit Spacebar Twice After Each Sentence What The Fuck Man This Isn't 1974 And The Internet Isn't A Typewriter 110.



  • @blakeyrat said:

    And none of them were, How To Recognize An Obvious Joke 101.

    Also How Not To Hit Spacebar Twice After Each Sentence What The Fuck Man This Isn't 1974 And The Internet Isn't A Typewriter 110.

    I recognized both jokes.  jpaull's.  And yours.

  • Winner of the 2016 Presidential Election

    @blakeyrat said:

    Also How Not To Hit Spacebar Twice After Each Sentence What The Fuck Man This Isn't 1974 And The Internet Isn't A Typewriter 110.

    It's supposed to be an em space, but I'm not going to pull up character map after I finish each sentence. Two spaces is a good compromise.


  • Winner of the 2016 Presidential Election

    @nonpartisan said:

    jpaull's.  And yours.



  • @joe.edwards said:

    Two spaces is a good compromise.

    If you're a dinosaur who just got off the Dinosaur Train from the Triassic. The Dinosaur Train being a train driven by talking dinosaurs that can also travel through time.


  • Winner of the 2016 Presidential Election

    It's what they taught in my typing class in sixth grade (1996ish), which was done entirely on computers, with software giving instructions. You'd lose points for single spaces.



  • @joe.edwards said:

    It's what they taught in my typing class in sixth grade (1996ish), which was done entirely on computers, with software giving instructions.

    I was taught a lot of wrong things in school too.

    Fortunately, the creators of HTML force the correct behavior by making the standard ignore double-spaces. Unfortunately, the author of Community Server undid their work. Meaning I hate you.

    Go watch Dinosaur Train, it's in Netflix.



  • @blakeyrat said:

    @joe.edwards said:
    Two spaces is a good compromise.

    If you're a dinosaur who just got off the Dinosaur Train from the Triassic. The Dinosaur Train being a train driven by talking dinosaurs that can also travel through time.

     

    From William Shun's "Proper Manuscript Format", as refered to by Asimov's (and others):

    <font style="font-family: courier new, courier; font-size: 10pt; color: #000000" face="courier new, courier" size="+0"></font>

    <font style="font-family: courier new, courier; font-size: 10pt; color: #000000" face="courier new, courier" size="+0">     In the days of typewriters, the usual practice was to put

    two spaces after the end of every sentence, and also to put two

    spaces after every colon. This helped make the separations

    between sentences more apparent, and helped editors more easily

    distinguish periods from commas and colons from semicolons. With

    the dominance of computers, that practice is changing, and it is

    more common now to see only one space between sentences.

    Ingrained habits die hard, though, so if you're used to hitting

    the spacebar twice after a period, you shouldn't stress out about

    it, particularly if you're using a Courier font.</font>

     

     


  • Winner of the 2016 Presidential Election

    @blakeyrat said:

    Meaning I hate you.

    I was actually typing &emsp; just to spite you. The HTML spec authors thought the character was important enough to assign it a named character entity.


    I actually put quite a bit of effort into ensuring my BB-code parser would handle all whitespace correctly, making paragraphs into paragraphs while keeping stanzas as stanzas, and preserving blocks of spaces. This was for a deviantArt-spinoff site and the feature was meant to accommodate "concrete poetry." Space-folding was designed so that markup could be indented with minimal impact on the content, but it does make simple things difficult at times.



  • I don't see what any of this has to do with Dinosaur Train.



  • @Evo said:

    Ha, you should've paid on time! Serves you right, such an interest for being 2013 years late on the payment!
    Interest is a killer indeed.

    Even at 1.5% interest rate assuming a starting balance of 1/10 of a cent would become over $10 million in 2,013 years.



  • @Anketam said:

    @Evo said:

    Ha, you should've paid on time! Serves you right, such an interest for being 2013 years late on the payment!
    Interest is a killer indeed.

    Even at 1.5% interest rate assuming a starting balance of 1/10 of a cent would become over $10 million in 2,013 years.

    You forgot late charges!



  • @blakeyrat said:

    I don't see what any of this has to do with Dinosaur Train.
    Nothing.  And Dinosaur Train has nothing to do with this thread.  Except your derailing it.



  • @nonpartisan said:

    @blakeyrat said:

    I don't see what any of this has to do with Dinosaur Train.
    Nothing.  And Dinosaur Train has nothing to do with this thread.  Except your derailing it.

     

     

    Flying off the rails on a Dinosaur train!

     



  • I like Shiny the best.



  • @BC_Programmer said:

    @nonpartisan said:

    @blakeyrat said:

    I don't see what any of this has to do with Dinosaur Train.
    Nothing.  And Dinosaur Train has nothing to do with this thread.  Except your derailing it.

     

     

    Flying off the rails on a Dinosaur train!

     

    Good one!!

     



  • @blakeyrat said:

    I like Shiny the best.

    Nobody gives a shit about what you like.

     



  • @nonpartisan said:

    @blakeyrat said:

    I like Shiny the best.

    Nobody gives a shit about what you like.

    Come on now.  You could have found a way to make that multiple sentences.  Though I've never understood why the double spacing bothers him so.



  • @locallunatic said:

    @nonpartisan said:

    @blakeyrat said:

    I like Shiny the best.

    Nobody gives a shit about what you like.

    Come on now.  You could have found a way to make that multiple sentences.  Though I've never understood why the double spacing bothers him so.

    I already spent too much time on him with the first reply.  Nevertheless, you're absolutely correct.  I should have put some effort into it.  Simply for the opportunity to use multiple spaces between sentences.  I shall indeed try harder next time.

     


  • Winner of the 2016 Presidential Election

    @nonpartisan said:

    @locallunatic said:

    @nonpartisan said:

    @blakeyrat said:

    I like Shiny the best.

    Nobody gives a shit about what you like.

    Come on now.  You could have found a way to make that multiple sentences.  Though I've never understood why the double spacing bothers him so.

    I already spent too much time on him with the first reply.  Nevertheless, you're absolutely correct.  I should have put some effort into it.  Simply for the opportunity to use multiple spaces between sentences.  I shall indeed try harder next time.

    It improves legibility anyway. I can't see why anyone would be opposed to it.


Log in to reply
 

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.