Governments register objections to .wtf TLD

• "The suffixes .wtf, .fail and .sucks have also received warnings for having an "overtly negative or critical connotation" without offering sufficient mechanisms to limit the need for businesses to immediately engage in defensive domain registrations to protect their brands."

• [QUOTE]
    The .ooo suffix has been compared with Australia's "visually similar" triple zero emergency phone number and flagged because of "a risk that this proposed TLD could result in confusion for some consumers in life-threatening situations."
    [/QUOTE]
    Someone is bleeding in this car accident! Quick, open your webbrowser ??

•  Also objections to .ooo - too similar to 000. Need to try .gii or .iiz.

I guess there could be a landrush on things like microsoft.wtf - but there's processes for that these days so they could continue to use the same?

• No worries, I'm confident the rest of this "generic top-level domains for everyone" idea will go smooth and won't cause any confusion to users.

•  I made this remark in another place: This is about icann preventing alterative DNS systems.

It is easy for anyone to start up their own DNS system.  Then you have to get people to use it. As it stands, all you have to do is choose your own set of TLDs, and anyone who wants to use your system just has to put one of your servers as their secondary. There are systems that do this: one of them is .onion .

What happens when someone registers .onion as a new vanity TLD?

This about icann preventing someone removing their control of the DNS system, by starting their own DNS. So they can continue to make everyone's life as difficult as possible, secure that we are stuck with them. If an attempt to get arround their pointless restrictions got enough traction, it could be destroyed by having 'someone' register their chosen TLDs in the icann system. If a party buys their TLDs, icann could cry wolf (or children, or piracy) at any agency they can buy, and get the TLD redirected to a pretty picture of an FBI badge.

• @robbak said:

DNS system
    @robbak said:
    DNS system
    @robbak said:
    DNS systems.

I think someone who is used to working with the DNS would not make this mistake.

• FoxDev

@robbak said:

DNS system

As used by an automated ATM machine to validate your personal PIN number :P

•  Sounds like it's time for some electronic ECM counter-measures.

• @robbak said:

This is about icann preventing alliterative DNS systems.

• @dhromed said:

I think someone who is used to working with the DNS would not make this mistake.

Some people are less pedantic dickweed than others. Also: son I am disappoint

Did you know what he meant? Was it unambiguous so there's no doubt as to what he meant? Then SHUT THE FUCK UP. Thank you.

• Trolleybus Mechanic

@blakeyrat said:

Then STFU THE FUCK UP. Thank you.

You're welcome.

• @El_Heffe said:

without offering sufficient mechanisms to limit the need for businesses to immediately engage in defensive domain registrations to protect their brands."

One of these days ICANN is just going to flat out start approving gTLDs for that purpose alone.