Worrying C/C++ skills

• @boomzilla said:

@serguey123 said:
    @boomzilla said:
    you generally cannot do all of those things (in the sense that they exist in C++) with any old C# object

You lost me there, buddy

@TFM said:

Pointer types do not inherit from object and no conversions exist between pointer types and object. Also, boxing and unboxing do not support pointers. However, you can convert between different pointer types and between pointer types and integral types.

A pointer cannot point to a reference or to a struct that contains references because an object reference can be garbage collected even if a pointer is pointing to it. The GC does not keep track of whether an object is being pointed to by any pointer types.

IOW, you cannot create a pointer to any old C# object. They seem to exist mainly to help interface with outside libraries, should the need arise. I imagine it was fairly common in the early days, before the .Net ecosystem matured.

Ok, your earlier post sounded like gibberish to me, but now I get what you were refering to and agree, that is why I said in a previous post that unmanaged code was kept apart. Maybe I'm just sleep deprived because my first thought when I read TFM was: "What Team Fortress has to do with this?" For the record I don't get most of the acronyms used here as I'm not an Internet person (whatever that means) and have never played Team Fortress and generally dislike multiplayer games.

@Cbuttius said:

The car analogy is probably that they are unsafe and you shouldn't drive them.

You know you don't need to quote the whole post, right?

• ♿ (Parody)

@serguey123 said:

Maybe I'm just sleep deprived because my first thought when I read TFM was: "What Team Fortress has to do with this?" For the record I don't get most of the acronyms used here as I'm not an Internet person (whatever that means) and have never played Team Fortress and generally dislike multiplayer games.

I have no idea what Team Fortress is. Of course, I was referring to the TFM that you should have already R'd. My favorite multiplayer game is probably Sorry!, because it's impossible to throw dice off the table when you're playing.

• @Cbuttius said:

and Microsoft's C++ compiler going around telling you that using the standard library is "unsafe" or even "deprecated" and you should use ther own stupid "safe" options instead. Everybody disables that warning and Microsoft have no right to deprecate features of the standard C or C++ library when compiling C or C++.

Microsoft did NOT make any changes regarding the "standard" library. These warnings only occur if you utilize the Microsoft "Safe Standard Library" instead (granted this is the default, which could be argued against). Personally I am in favor of removing all usages of the items in question, they simply account for too high of a percentage of all C++ bugs that are found late in the cycle...

See http://accu.org/index.php/journals/297 for some interesting information on the topic.

• @boomzilla said:

I have no idea what Team Fortress is.

According to wikipedia, some sort of multiplayer online game, the name stuck with me for some reason
    @boomzilla said:
    My favorite multiplayer game is probably Sorry!

According to wikipedia, some sort of board game... I played Pachisi when I was younger but I considered it boring, cards and dominoes on the other hand I enjoyed mostly because of the company of friends and family rather than the game itself
    @boomzilla said:
    R'd.

Research and Development?

• BINNED

@Cbuttius said:

I think in C++11 you will be allowed to define suffixes to indicate "units". Another step towards "strong typing" where enums don't quite work. So with monetary amounts, you can specify a currency.
    What has that at all to do with what you quoted (pointers vs references) ??

• @boomzilla said:

That is immensely incredible. Wow.

Here's some introductory material. And here. And also.

I don't play the game. I just like to sniff the ambient fragrances.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

• ♿ (Parody)

@dhromed said:

@boomzilla said:

That is immensely incredible.

OK. I sorta lied. I've seen people around here talk about it and have inferred that it's some form of video amusement enjoyed by people who should get off my lawn.

• @boomzilla said:

inferred that it's some form of video amusement enjoyed by people who should get off my lawn.

The matter now at hand is whether I should or should not like being allowed on your lawn.

I do play copious amounts of other "video-game" entertainment, though. Does this change things?

• @PJH said:

Seen Practical Problems yet?

For later. Dankie-san.

• ♿ (Parody)

@dhromed said:

The matter now at hand is whether I should or should not like being allowed on your lawn.

Since you're not allowed, I'm not sure that it does matter. I'd invite you into the house, though.

@dhromed said:

I do play copious amounts of other "video-game" entertainment, though. Does this change things?

No.

• @boomzilla said:

Since you're not allowed,

I thought I clearly said I don't play the game.

@boomzilla said:

I'd invite you into the house, though.

Cool. I could bring a bottle of wine, and you can prepare veal, and we could play Sorry! until 2am and then fall into eachother's arms and make passionate love before the rising sun wakes us from our afterglowing slumber.

Then I'd tiptoe out of bed and go home and play compooter gaemz.

This untenable double-life will eventually cost us our romance and we go our separate ways; perhaps jaded, perhaps wiser and richer for the experience.

• ♿ (Parody)

@dhromed said:

@boomzilla said:
    Since you're not allowed,

I thought I clearly said I don't play the game.

Oh, it's not about you. No one is allowed on the lawn.

@dhromed said:

Cool. I could bring a bottle of wine, and you can prepare veal, and we could play Sorry! until 2am and then fall into eachother's arms and make passionate love before the rising sun wakes us from our afterglowing slumber.

Sounds good. We'll probably have to wait until my wife is out of town.

@dhromed said:

This untenable double-life will eventually cost us our romance and we go our separate ways; perhaps jaded, perhaps wiser and richer for the experience.

Wait...are you planning a robbery?

• @boomzilla said:

Oh, it's not about you.

Hey.

Everything.

Is about me.

@boomzilla said:

@dhromed said:

Wait...are you planning a robbery?

What part of richer don't you understand?