I hate Eclipse, Adobe, JBoss, and everything related to Java.

• Having done quite a bit of Flex development (that was a waste to learn, thanks Adobe for telling everyone invested in Flex to fuck off) I can tell you a couple things. Eclipse is the worst way to work with Flex. Use Adobe's Flash Builder (you can get a free trial to at least play with). If you are on PC, the free open source IDE FlashDevelop is a much better way to go. If you are able to compile the swf(s) okay, try using different methods to deploy to JBOSS like ANT for instance. http://plummersmind.blogspot.com/2008/10/deploying-flex-application-to-jboss.html

• Adobe's Flash Builder is Eclipse, unless they've totally rewritten it in the last 3 years.

• It is a modified version of Eclipse with proprietary plugins, not at all the same as getting the free version of Eclipse and installing free plugins to work with Flex. Having used both I can say that it's much easier to work with Adobe's version, however, the free FlashDevelop is better still.

• Once something is Eclipse, it can never again not be Eclipse. Sorry.

• @blakeyrat said:

Once something is Eclipse, it can never again not be Eclipse. Sorry.

Once you go blakey, you don't go... uh...

• @blakeyrat said:

Once something is Eclipse, it can never again not be Eclipse. Sorry.

declipsed!

• @pbean said:

Actually Delphi used be really, really good. I worked with versions 5, 6 and 7 and they were awesome. Just at some point they went with the whole .NET thing and it went to shit. Version 8 and the 200x versions were really crap and basically killed it all.

It was my understanding that Even the latest versions of Delphi only optionally compile against the .NET framework into IL? I have XE2 here and while the core classes that come with Delphi have uncannily familiar method names to the .NET versions, the resulting program isn't using .NET. I thought you had to use Delphi Prism in order to use .NET stuff from Delphi using some sort of wonky weird half-breed of the language.

• @BC_Programmer said:

@pbean said:
    Actually Delphi used be really, really good. I worked with versions 5, 6 and 7 and they were awesome. Just at some point they went with the whole .NET thing and it went to shit. Version 8 and the 200x versions were really crap and basically killed it all.

It was my understanding that Even the latest versions of Delphi only optionally compile against the .NET framework into IL? I have XE2 here and while the core classes that come with Delphi have uncannily familiar method names to the .NET versions, the resulting program isn't using .NET. I thought you had to use Delphi Prism in order to use .NET stuff from Delphi using some sort of wonky weird half-breed of the language.

The 200x versions had both Win23 and .NET projects rolled into the same IDE and didn't use any special language 'half-breed', as you call it, for .NET projects. They also shoehorned the full feature set of Delphi's original, unadjusted Object Pascal language into MSIL and made it (semi)compatible with the CLR using some arguable techniques.

This would lead to interesting interop issues when using assemblies built from C# together with assemblies built from Delphi. For one, Object Pascal's concept of units did not map well to the .NET CLR's concept of namespaced classes, which meant Many things based around the reflection facilities in the .NET framework were simply hosed.

In addition, Delphi.NET did something really strange with some of the core System types. The definitive nail in the coffin for me personally was the nonsensical compiler error 'Cannot convert type System.Int32 to System.Int32' that would semi-randomly arise whenever I was working with arrays passed into and out of classes built from a real CLR language. Yes; compiler error, as in: at compile time. No reflection shenanigans here. Just Borland's wrapping/mapping of the core System types dicking everything up somehow

• @Ragnax said:

Win23

I used to have Windows PX 23-bit until I decided I wanted to use open sores operating system which Blakeyrat must like muchly.

I really need to stop eating out with Nagesh

• So I am really curious as to what happened with this. I have an incredible hatred for JBoss myself, so I understand your pain.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@mott555 said:

@boomzilla said:

LIES! I LAUNCH ECLIPSE ALL THE TIME AND I GET NO ERRORS!

Mine crashes whenever I close it. I get some kind of popup stating an exception message, but the process always terminates before I can read it.

Record video of your desktop.  Frame advance through the crash.  (I mean, if you care enough to want to find out.)