Let's post unicode characters that shouldn't exist but do



  • 😻



  • Aww your character doesn't show in the page but it is in Character viewer (Firefox on Snow Leopard).

    👙



  • How do we make them display? :(

    I've tried all four browsers I have. Firefox gave the best result: the hex code in the square. Chrome and Safari just had a square. Opera displays "UNDEFINED 10000 1FFFD PLANE 1" in the square.

    Similar story on Windows 7. IE9 and Chrome displays a square and Firefox the hex code. (Don't have Opera or Safari for Windows ATM)



  • @Zemm said:

    How do we make them display? :(

    I've tried all four browsers I have. Firefox gave the best result: the hex code in the square. Chrome and Safari just had a square. Opera displays "UNDEFINED 10000 1FFFD PLANE 1" in the square.

    Similar story on Windows 7. IE9 and Chrome displays a square and Firefox the hex code. (Don't have Opera or Safari for Windows ATM)

    On an iPad, the characters not only display, but do so in color and 3D. Unfortunately, the font size of the characters is locked at 12pt, but if you have access to an iOS device, go ahead and try it out.



  • @Ben L. said:

    On an iPad, the characters not only display, but do so in color and 3D. Unfortunately, the font size of the characters is locked at 12pt, but if you have access to an iOS device, go ahead and try it out.
     

    Nice but yeah, bitmaps. This should have been a gun: 🔫 I thought I filed the second post under that?

    A BTW WTF is the QR generator I use: it encoded the # in the URL which made the server return a 404.



  •  Hmm it appears in the tags any single unicode character over U+10000 might be assimilated into the thumbs up, at least for me. If this post has the thumbs up and not "𐌀" this is the case.



  • Interestingly iPad doesn't display the old italic A properly buy Firefox does.

    I am posting from iPad now, gun tag?

    Also this is my 1002nd post...



  • @Zemm said:

    Aww your character doesn't show in the page but it is in Character viewer (Firefox on Snow Leopard).

    Interestingly? enough, it probably won't display in Windows for most people because a font that can handle that Unicode point isn't installed by default by Microsoft.



  •  I see a pink pussy and a black bikini.

    Not in the same post, obviously.

    Firefux here. 

    (I can also see the gun in Zemm's post)



  • @Cassidy said:

     I see a pink pussy and a black bikini.

    Not in the same post, obviously.

    Firefux here. 

    (I can also see the gun in Zemm's post)

     

    OS?

    Firefox15 on vista shows boxen.

     



  • @dhromed said:

    OS?

    Firefox15 on vista shows boxen.

     

    Was FF15 on Win7, lowered to Win2K desktop effects (not sure the latter makes much difference to the character encoding).

     



  •  @dhromed said:

    @Cassidy said:

     I see a pink pussy and a black bikini.

    Not in the same post, obviously.

    Firefux here. 

    (I can also see the gun in Zemm's post)

     

    OS?

    Firefox15 on vista shows boxen.

     

    Viewing the OP using Firefox 15 on Windows 7 shows this

     



  •  Hmmm.

     

    There are extra language/character packs one can download for windows, I think, or something, whatever. That may be why Cassidy's seeing these characters.



  • True, I had to download "US English" so my spell-check wouldn't moan at "color" and "neighbor", etc.

    Erm... not sure about other packs. This is a company netbook, Win7 provided by Lenovo (IBM). I don't know much about Windows - so I can't confirm nor deny what packs are loaded - I just use it as an environment to launch FF, CDisplay, skype, putty and VLC, 

    (I should be using it to run Powerpointless stuff and RDP client into work, but that's besides the point).



  • @dhromed said:

     Hmmm.

     

    There are extra language/character packs one can download for windows, I think, or something, whatever. That may be why Cassidy's seeing these characters.

    According to this page:  "In Windows 7 / Vista, Unicode support for Indian languages is enabled
    automatically upon installation and hence user does not need to enable
    any settings".

    However, this page says that the current Unicode standard contains a total of 109,449 characters, so it seems that simply saying "unicode characters" is rather meaningless unless you specify some particular subset.  It seems unlikely that you would be able to display all 109,449 characters without installing some sort of additional language pack or something.


     



  • @El_Heffe said:

    Viewing the OP
     

    On iOS 5.1.1: (3rd gen iPod, one of the "development" ones around here)

    If I zoom in:

    I had also looked on iPad but I think I haven't upgraded from 5.0 and the pussy still looked like a bitmap but was monochromatic pink.



  • Unicode has COLOR now? What do they think they are, AIM?



  • @ekolis said:

    Unicode has COLOR now?
     

    Why not?

    🗺

    AFAIK it's up to the font to do colour. Not part of Unicode itself!



  • @ekolis said:

    Unicode has COLOR now? What do they think they are, AIM?
     

    No.

    It's the emoji that do indeed exist as code points in unicode.

    How a client displays the characters is up to itself, of course.



  • @dhromed said:

     Hmmm.

     

    There are extra language/character packs one can download for windows, I think, or something, whatever. That may be why Cassidy's seeing these characters.

    It appears that Chrome and IE just hate unicode. The characters display fine in FF 10.

    Edit: Also doesn't work in whatever Safari I'm using



  • @rad131304 said:

    The characters display fine in FF 10.
     

    @dhromed said:

    Firefox15 on vista shows boxen.

    READ. THREAD.



  • @dhromed said:

    @rad131304 said:

    The characters display fine in FF 10.
     

    @dhromed said:

    Firefox15 on vista shows boxen.

    READ. THREAD.

    They show for me ... although they look different now. (I just got "upgraded" to FF15)



  • @rad131304 said:

    @dhromed said:

    @rad131304 said:

    The characters display fine in FF 10.
     

    @dhromed said:

    Firefox15 on vista shows boxen.

    READ. THREAD.

    They show for me ... although they look different now. (I just got "upgraded" to FF15)

    I'm running 7 not Vista ... so that might be it?? Who the hell knows



  • @rad131304 said:

    They show for me ... although they look different now. (I just got "upgraded" to FF15)

    I get mixed results across chrome, FF15, Opera and Rekonq. I assume it just depends on the fonts you have installed and which one each browser uses.



  • UNICODE™
    reliable, predictable, complete



  • I've always been amused that a full set of Mahjong tiles exists in the Unicode standard, although randomly the red dragon is the only one supported by Firefox:

    🀄



  • @curtmack said:

    the only one supported by Firefox
     

    So this charater displays in your FFX, but not in your Chrome or IE? Because like all the others, it doesn't display for me.

    It's red, though.



  • @ekolis said:

    Unicode has COLOR now? What do they think they are, AIM?
    They've mistaken Unicode for Unicorns.



  • @curtmack said:

    although randomly the red dragon is the only one supported by Firefox:
    Not in the Firefox I'm using (FF 15 / Windows 7).




  • @El_Heffe said:

    Not in the Firefox I'm using (FF 15 / Windows 7)
     

    Is in the one I'm using (FF15 / Win 7):

    Had to resize it




  • @curtmack said:

    I've always been amused that a full set of Mahjong tiles exists in the Unicode standard, although randomly the red dragon is the only one supported by Firefox:

    🀄

    That should SO replace the D used by many roguelikes for red dragons...



  • So in conclusion, the people responsible for the Unicode standard are even more insane than the people responsible for the HTML standard.



  • 💩
    🍕



  • All those Unicode characters in the previous posts don't display in my browser.  Until today.  Now they are all there.  WTF.

    Somehow I feel the need to blame Java.  I don't know why, it just seems right.

     



  • @El_Heffe said:

    All those Unicode characters in the previous posts don't display in my browser.  Until today.  Now they are all there.  WTF.

    Somehow I feel the need to blame Java.  I don't know why, it just seems right.

     

    I blame Krakatoa, east of Java.

     


Log in to reply
 

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.