Chicken and egg dependency

• ♿ (Parody)

@bjolling said:

OTOH in the USA football is played by running around with an egg-shaped ball in one's hands, so why not just call that game "hand egg" instead?

Firstly, because Sesame Street beat you to it. Also, if you run around with the ball in your hand, you're doing it wrong and are going to fumble. Why encourage bad play just to soothe European egos?

Finally, WTF is wrong with European birds that they lay football shaped eggs?

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@boomzilla said:

Firstly, because Sesame Street beat you to it.
    But I thought Sesame Street was a kids programme - those puppets are NAKED!!!!

• @boomzilla said:

I don't know, but there you go.

• @Speakerphone Dude said:

@DaveK said:

I had to solve a similar problem to make libgcj build as a DLL on Windows, because DLLs can only support 65535 exported symbols, and libgcj has over 80000

I just felt a very disturbing vibe of despair and hatred, it appears to be coming from someone in the future that has to maintain that thing.

It's documented, and all the maintenance that would be needed would be adding new package names to a single makefile macro definition to choose whether they go in the main or secondary DLL.

@Ben L. said:

Wait, the entire Java programming language in one DLL? Shouldn't that be one per package? Or one per reasonably-useful-together-chunk?

Well, there would be both advantages and disadvantages to that.  Loading dozens-to-hundreds of DLLs at startup would be a significant overhead for short-lived apps.  Anyway, since it's a single monolithic .so on Linux, I didn't attempt to mess with the existing design, I just did as little as necessary to make it work as similarly on 'doze as it does in the original Linux environment.

• @DaveK said:

@Speakerphone Dude said:

@DaveK said:

I had to solve a similar problem to make libgcj build as a DLL on Windows, because DLLs can only support 65535 exported symbols, and libgcj has over 80000

I just felt a very disturbing vibe of despair and hatred, it appears to be coming from someone in the future that has to maintain that thing.

It's documented, and all the maintenance that would be needed would be adding new package names to a single makefile macro definition to choose whether they go in the main or secondary DLL.

How wonderful, the guy who created a masterpiece solution knows exactly what maintenance will be needed in the future and how it shall be done, and he even created Documentation. I've never witnessed a situation where this approach did not work out as planned.

@Larry Wall said:

The three chief virtues of a programmer are: Laziness, Impatience and Hubris.

@DaveK said:

@Speakerphone Dude said:

@DaveK said:

How wonderful, the guy who created a masterpiece solution knows exactly what maintenance will be needed in the future and how it shall be done, and he even created Documentation. I've never witnessed a situation where this approach did not work out as planned.

How wonderful, the guy who knows absolutely nothing about the situation or the codebase involved still manages to have the uninformed opinion that there has to be something wrong with it.  Way to argue from a position of complete ignorance, dude.

@Speakerphone Dude said:

@Larry Wall said:

You're no Larry Wall.

• Trolleybus Mechanic

@DaveK said:

@Speakerphone Dude said:

@Larry Wall said:

You're no Larry Wall.

Hairy Door?

@Larry Wall said:

And a fanatical devotion to the Pope!

• @DaveK said:

...[snip "my pussy hurts" babbling]...

there there

• @DaveK said:

@Speakerphone Dude said:

@DaveK said:

@Ben L. said:

Wait, the entire Java programming language in one DLL? Shouldn't that be one per package? Or one per reasonably-useful-together-chunk?

Well, there would be both advantages and disadvantages to that.  Loading dozens-to-hundreds of DLLs at startup would be a significant overhead for short-lived apps.  Anyway, since it's a single monolithic .so on Linux, I didn't attempt to mess with the existing design, I just did as little as necessary to make it work as similarly on 'doze as it does in the original Linux environment.

If a short-lived Java program uses hundreds of packages, something is wrong.

• @Ben L. said:

This made me curious, so I counted.

Loading the java program enough to call java -version, which is about as minimal a meaningful load of the Java runtime as you can get, requires 28 packages. The Java runtime library, rt.jar, contains 815 packages on my Java 7 environment.

Here are teh codez:

java -verbose:class -version | perl -e 'while(<>){next unless /Loaded/; $_=(split/ /)[1]; s/\.[^.]+$//; $p{$_}=1;} @p = sort keys %p; print join("\n", @p), "\n", scalar(@p), " packages.\n"'

jar -tf /opt/java7/jre/lib/rt.jar | perl -e 'while(<>){s!\/[^/]+$!!; $p{$_}=1;} @p = sort keys %p; print join("\n", @p), "\n", scalar(@p), " packages.\n"'

This is using Oracle's JVM in an HP-UX environment.

• @Ben L. said:

@Xyro said:

The Java runtime library, rt.jar, contains 815 packages on my Java 7 environment.

Packages, or Classes?

• :belt_onion:

@boomzilla said:

@bjolling said:
    OTOH in the USA football is played by running around with an egg-shaped ball in one's hands, so why not just call that game "hand egg" instead?

Firstly, because Sesame Street beat you to it. Also, if you run around with the ball in your hand, you're doing it wrong and are going to fumble. Why encourage bad play just to soothe European egos?

Are you trolling me back?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Football_%28ball%29

• ♿ (Parody)

@bjolling said:

@boomzilla said:

No, I'm just really concerned about fowl balls.

Or you're confused regarding the differences between an American football and a rugby ball, which is not actually egg shaped, but closer. BTW, are you big or little endian?

• :belt_onion:

@boomzilla said:

@bjolling said:
    @boomzilla said:

No, I'm just really concerned about fowl balls.

Or you're confused regarding the differences between an American football and a rugby ball, which is not actually egg shaped, but closer. BTW, are you big or little endian?

It would be more appropriate to ask Nagesh if he's a little Indian

• @Cassidy said:

@Xyro said:
    The Java runtime library, rt.jar, contains 815 packages on my Java 7 environment.

Packages, or Classes?

Packages. The class count is 18,830. (That includes inner and anonymous classes.)

jar -tf rt.jar | wc -l

•  Damn.

So, Java programmers have large packages?

• @mott555 said:

I could have wasted precious forum space and everyone else's time by talking about how you have to have some newspaper, maybe some gasoline, or even a propane torch to start a diesel fire, but no I decided to not be a pedantic dickweed and just say "lighter." My mistake. Next time I try to be funny, I will make sure to include all the proper annotations, clarifications, and citations necessary to completely ruin the joke and appease the pedants.

You could have just used petrol, but that would annoy the Americans.

• @timbstoke said:

You could have just used petrol, but that would annoy the Americans.

And Cheesoid wouldn't be able to tell it apart from cheddar. ANY EXCUSE TO POST CHEESOID!

@timbstoke said:

Filed under: petrol = liquid != gas

You realize "gas" is short for "gasoline", right? We're not saying it's in gaseous form.

@DaveK said:

there there

Ah, the good old-fashioned post edit lame, last resort of the loser since Usenet days.  How nostalgic!

• @DaveK said:

@Speakerphone Dude said:

@DaveK said:

there there

Ah, the good old-fashioned post edit lame, last resort of the loser since Usenet days.  How nostalgic!

This may sound weird but I've been relying on Usenet a lot more in the recent years than before. But with different tools, like newsleecher and nzbmatrix.

• ♿ (Parody)

@Speakerphone Dude said:

This may sound weird but I've been relying on Usenet a lot more in the recent years than before. But with different tools, like newsleecher and nzbmatrix.

Neat! But do they have Lotus Notes versions?

• @boomzilla said:

@Speakerphone Dude said:

Neat! But do they have Lotus Notes versions?

indeed they do!