IDatareader and Database Connections

• Ok, first, this is a .NET question, specifically VB;  I am very tired, and the answer may be obvious.

If I have a Function that returns an IDataReader object to the calling code, and the calling code does not explicitly close the IDataReader, what happens to the database connection?

• Your connection pool will have one less connection available.

ALSO THE PLANET WILL EXPLODE DEAR GOD NO DON'T DO IT!

No wait just the first one I guess...

• @blakeyrat said:

Your connection pool will have one less connection available.

But what happens when all the connections are used up?

HOW WILL WE EVER GET MORE CONNECTIONS?

• @blakeyrat said:

Your connection pool will have one less connection available.

I thought as much but wanted confirmation from a reliable source in light of the level of "you're wrong" I'm getting from my direct reports.

And, since your statement is in agreement with my thoughts, I will consider you a reliable source in this instance.

• You are wrong, though. It's just not that huge a deal. But your code is clearly wrong.

• ♿ (Parody)

@Medezark said:

I thought as much but wanted confirmation from a reliable source...

And then you came here?!

• Not my code, thankfully.  I was tracking down an issue where one of our application's active sessions is suddenly growing exponentially.  Found a few calls in a very common subroutine that get an open datareader from a function and then never close it.

• @Medezark said:

Not my code, thankfully.  I was tracking down an issue where one of our application's active sessions is suddenly growing exponentially.  Found a few calls in a very common subroutine that get an open datareader from a function and then never close it.

That might be it, then - if the data reader went out of scope, but wasn't closed, I'd expect (in a sane world) that it would eventually be garbage collected, but if you're allocating these things willy nilly in a "very common subroutine", that could cause problems, since the garbage collector might not be getting to it in time! (Did I ever tell you about the time I accidentally allocated gigabytes of memory simply by creating byte arrays faster than the .NET GC could clean them up?)

• @Medezark said:

Not my code, thankfully.  I was tracking down an issue where one of our application's active sessions is suddenly growing exponentially.  Found a few calls in a very common subroutine that get an open datareader from a function and then never close it.

Yup, you found a bug. Now trade off the cost of fixing it, vs. the cost of setting Max Pool Size = 10000 in the connection string ;)

• @caffiend said:

Yup, you found a bug. Now trade off the cost of fixing it, vs. the cost of setting Max Pool Size = 10000 in the connection string ;)

I don't think that would help, as our oracle instance is apparently running on a TRS-80 Model I with a tape drive, or something equally underpowered.