"Get," supposedly



  • We have a stored procedure called "tm_getGlossaryUsage." Any idea what it does?

    It goes through all of the non-English-only rows in the Glossary table and sets their status to 25 and marks them all for translation, returning nothing on success.

    I mean, obviously, right?



  • Smells of lazy developers.  Nobody wanted to 1) create a new stored proc, 2) change the source code which calls this proc, or 3) both.



  • @curtmack said:

    We have a stored procedure called "tm_getGlossaryUsage." Any idea what it does?

    It goes through all of the non-English-only rows in the Glossary table and sets their status to 25 and marks them all for translation, returning nothing on success.

    I mean, obviously, right?

    Have you worked with functions in Postgresql? This is a typical call for a function that deletes a customer record:

    select * from delete_customer(123);

    I guess because of the syntax people are more careful about functions names. Or should.



  • @C-Octothorpe said:

    Smells of lazy developers.  Nobody wanted to 1) create a new stored proc, 2) change the source code which calls this proc, or 3) both.

    To be fair, our system is fairly intelligently designed. It's just our documentation that's a bit messed up.



  • @curtmack said:

    intelligently designed

    I found TRWTF, guys!



  • @Ben L. said:

    @curtmack said:

    intelligently designed

    I found TRWTF, guys!

    Yeah, the last time someone came up with "intelligent design" the world got full of HIV and 9/11 because God can live with Darwinism as he knows someday it will be proven wrong scientifically (like the flat earth or E=mc2) but he doesn't like competition from a mysterious divine designer which cannot be argued with.



  •  @Speakerphone Dude said:

    @Ben L. said:
    @curtmack said:

    intelligently designed

    I found TRWTF, guys!

    Yeah, the last time someone came up with "intelligent design" the world got full of HIV and 9/11 because God can live with Darwinism as he knows someday it will be proven wrong scientifically (like the flat earth or E=mc2) but he doesn't like competition from a mysterious divine designer which cannot be argued with.

    Don't forget that he moves in mysterious ways. There's ain't enough room for two people to move in mysterious ways. Otherwise they bump into each other and it's just really inconvenient.

     



  • @curtmack said:

    @C-Octothorpe said:

    Smells of lazy developers.  Nobody wanted to 1) create a new stored proc, 2) change the source code which calls this proc, or 3) both.

    To be fair, our system is fairly intelligently designed. It's just our documentation that's a bit messed up.

    That's like saying that switching the gas and break pedal isn't bad design, it's just bad documention.  :)



  • @curtmack said:

    We have a stored procedure called "tm_getGlossaryUsage." Any idea what it does?

    It goes through all of the non-English-only rows in the Glossary table and sets their status to 25 and marks them all for translation, returning nothing on success.

    I mean, obviously, right?

     

    I don't see what the fuss is about.  If you need to get the Glossary some Usage, you run this stored procedure, and the Glossary gets Used.  Everybody's happy.

     



  • So "get" is really short for "get-r-done"?


Log in to reply
 

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.