Apple AirPlay

• @boomzilla said:

No, that comment was clearly about his iPhone.

I can't speak for Blackberry because I'm not Canadian or stupid and thus have never owned one. But I did have an iPhone 3G back when they very first came out, and I can verify that despite having 16 goddamned gigabytes of memory, it only allocated like maybe 200k to email storage and you couldn't change it... so viewing any email older than about 2 days required a round-trip to the server. One of the many, many, many things about the iPhone that made me scream, "what the FUCK were you guys thinking?"

You also couldn't allocate more than about 200k for a web browser cache, even though the network connection at the time was slower than molasses. Hope you don't actually like browsing the web on your smartphone!

• @blakeyrat said:

@ASheridan said:
    It wasn't a case of that unfortunately, and we tested across a whole office worth of computers (about 10) (we were in IT, so the wasting time was classed as for research purposes). I don't get how other phones were fully capable of charging without needing drivers installed yet this newer (at the time) phone couldn't. I could think of many sane reasons, but they each get discarded when you bring into context all the other phones that have gotten this simple thing right both before and since.

I seem to recall Windows 2000 and Windows XP would cut the USB power if the device didn't have a driver at all. I'm not sure exactly what Microsoft's reasoning was for this, but you could easily "trick" it by installing a generic driver (like USB Mass Storage) and just not making any volumes available.

The machines we tested on included a couple of macs and a Linux box, so I don't think Windows can be to blame here. Like I said before, other phones managed just fine, so it's pretty obvious where the problem was.

• @blakeyrat said:

@boomzilla said:
    No, that comment was clearly about his iPhone.

I can't speak for Blackberry because I'm not Canadian or stupid and thus have never owned one.

Blackberry were awesome about 6-7 years ago. For a long time after the iPhone was released I still preferred the Blackberry because of the keyboard (which is much better when you have to type a lot and make the device more convenient for work). But after a while it looks like they stopped adding features and the network went to shit, and they started pushing bad updates. Now anyone who has a Blackberry has stability problems, very annoying.

They should give up writing their own OS and go with Android while they still have a big customer base in the enterprise world. Just focus on BES and making sure to do a lot of QA on a specific set of Android devices - just like Apple did with iTunes and MacOS, but for business instead of consumers.

• @Speakerphone Dude said:

They should give up writing their own OS and go with Android while they still have a big customer base in the enterprise world. Just focus on BES and making sure to do a lot of QA on a specific set of Android devices - just like Apple did with iTunes and MacOS, but for business instead of consumers.
    There was actually some speculation this year whether or not they were going to do that after they ended up making a load of people redundant. (cue bad joke about rim jobs here)

• @ASheridan said:

(cue bad joke about rim jobs here)
    Man, that really sucks...

• @mott555 said:

AirPlay

AirPlay uses Bonjour to discover endpoints. Bonjour is a broadcast protocol that doesn't cross subnets by default. I'm guessing your wired and wireless subnets are different, or something else is filtering out the broadcast traffic between them, preventing automatic discovery. And since this is an Apple product, it works the automated way or it doesn't work at all.

• After re-reading, yeah he was talking about his iPhone and not his BlackBerry. I blame Monday.

Also, to everyone saying it's different subnets or firewalls, no. Everything on our network is on a single subnet. (Before any Cisco fanboys start flaming, we're a tiny company of like 15 - 20 employees. VLANs, multiple subnets, routing protocols, and all that stuff doesn't apply.) The only router is our gateway to the Internet, which I think is actually on our ISP's premises and not ours (we have some kind of dedicated fiber line). Our wireless is a basic access point on the same subnet with DHCP disabled. The iPad has absolutely no difficulty talking to custom web services on our servers which are wired but on the same subnet. But AirPlay only works if the "server" is on wireless. Or perhaps AirServer scans the hardware it's installed on and refuses to allow connections if there is no wireless LAN card. Either way it's a WTF.

• @mott555 said:

After re-reading, yeah he was talking about his iPhone and not his BlackBerry. I blame Monday.

Yes I (he in this context) was 

• How did we get back on topic?

The non-working USB cable probably had inadequate-gauge wire for the 5V lines. The voltage drop was too much to run the charging circuit, but adequate to run the  electronics for working as a controller.

• FoxDev

@Sir Twist said:

The non-working USB cable probably had inadequate-gauge wire for the 5V lines. The voltage drop was too much to run the charging circuit, but adequate to run the  electronics for working as a controller.

You risk angering the God of All technology, for he spake thusly:

@Speakerphone Dude said:

I did not ask for help

For it is a sin to offer help unprompted in the religion of the God of All Technology.

• @RaceProUK said:

@Sir Twist said:

You risk angering the God of All technology, for he spake thusly:

@Speakerphone Dude said:

I did not ask for help

For it is a sin to offer help unprompted in the religion of the God of All Technology.

Qualifying a Wikipedia quote as "help" is a bit rich. Also there is only one God (blessed be His name) so stop insulting Him by using his Name as an offensive nickname for people you disagree with.

I'm kidding. There is no God.

• @Helix said:

@mott555 said:

After re-reading, yeah he was talking about his iPhone and not his BlackBerry. I blame Monday.

Yes I (he in this context) was 

I love role-playing too

• FoxDev

@Speakerphone Dude said:

*snip*

You're really far too easy to goad you know.

•  You're both low-level cretins and I implore you to quit your fucking 'nans.

• @Speakerphone Dude said:

Qualifying a Wikipedia quote as "help" is a bit rich. Also there is only one God (blessed be His name) so stop insulting Him by using his Name as an offensive nickname for people you disagree with.
    Who quoted Wikipedia? Yes, I checked Wikipedia for what the standard says (26 AWG), but then I used a voltage-drop calulator to see that yes, the difference between 26 and 28 AWG wire is significant enough. 5V at half an amp over 2m 28 AWG wire yields 4.57V, whereas the proper 26 AWG is 4.73V.

• TRWTF is 46 goddamn types of USB cables and connectors. USB A, USB B, Mini A, Mini B, Micro A, Micro B, Apple's stuff, Apple's Fall 2012 stuff, Samsung's (older) stuff. I swear my fiancee's old POS Windows 6.1 HTC Touch has a half trapezoid connector.

• @Sir Twist said:

@Speakerphone Dude said:

Who quoted Wikipedia? Yes, I checked Wikipedia for what the standard says (26 AWG), but then I used a voltage-drop calulator to see that yes, the difference between 26 and 28 AWG wire is significant enough. 5V at half an amp over 2m 28 AWG wire yields 4.57V, whereas the proper 26 AWG is 4.73V.

He (I in this context) did

• @Nexzus said:

HTC Touch has a half trapezoid connector.

Yeah, I was so confused when I found one on the floor of my building, apparently dropped by someone.

• @Sir Twist said:

@Speakerphone Dude said:

The Wikipedia "help" came from the other guy.

This being said, I don't speak electrician so I don't know what is your conclusion but sure enough, if I want someone to build a doomsday device at some point you're at the top of my list.

• @chrome said:

Your boat low-level curtains annoy people, could you bequeath it to your friend Ferdinand?

I think there is a faulty wire in Community Server

• @dhromed said:

@Nexzus said:

HTC Touch has a half trapezoid connector.

Yeah, I was so confused when I found one on the floor of my building, apparently dropped by someone.

My brain instantly associated those. This should be an indicator. For something.

• @Ben L. said:

My brain instantly associated those.

Oh yeah there is some ambiguity, I suppose.

• FoxDev

@Speakerphone Dude said:

I could continue being a douche here, but truthfully, I'm sick of doing so. If you admit you were a bit rude originally, I'll immediately cease being an arse to you.

• @Nexzus said:

I swear my fiancee's old POS Windows 6.1 HTC Touch has a half trapezoid connector.

Yep, my last phone was an HTC Touch. It was some kind of half-trapezoid connector that was actually just a normal USB connection with a few extra pins for audio, that way you had to have proprietary headphones since there was no standard headphone jack. A normal USB connector still worked fine for data transfer or charging even though the shape was different.

That phone was a beast. It had been dropped and thrown so many times with no ill effect. Today's smartphones shatter into a million pieces if you drop it on the sidewalk.

• @mott555 said:

That phone was a beast. It had been dropped and thrown so many times with no ill effect. Today's smartphones shatter into a million pieces if you drop it on the sidewalk.

Really? They all use Gorilla Glass now, that shit's stronger than steel I swear to Christ. My last two phones have been HTCs, and they're tanks. My sister-in-law is using my old one and it's... well it shipped with Android 2.1 to give you an idea of what era it's from.

• @blakeyrat said:

Really? They all use Gorilla Glass now, that shit's stronger than steel I swear to Christ. My last two phones have been HTCs, and they're tanks. My sister-in-law is using my old one and it's... well it shipped with Android 2.1 to give you an idea of what era it's from.

I'm almost the only person in my circle who HASN'T shattered the screen on my phone within the past few years. I have an HTC 7 Pro now and it definitely doesn't feel as durable as my old Touch. It weighs a lot more so that might be part of it. The Touch was pretty light so it never hit with much force if you decided to chuck it across the room dropped it. But with my 7 Pro I feel like I have to take care of it. It also has a slide-out hinged keyboard that would not be hard to break.

The worst part about my current phone is I can't find a decent screen protector for it anymore. I used to have a Zagg on it but my sister saw it and thought it was a film of protective plastic for shipping reasons (like you always find on new PC power supplies or monitors) and freaking peeled it off and threw it away! Apparently Zagg doesn't make them for this phone anymore, or I just totally suck when it comes to locating them.

• @mott555 said:

I'm almost the only person in my circle who HASN'T shattered the screen on my phone within the past few years

Maybe you need this phone --> www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tMyDKdFs-o

• @RaceProUK said:

@Speakerphone Dude said:

I could continue being a douche here, but truthfully, I'm sick of doing so. If you admit you were a bit rude originally, I'll immediately cease being an arse to you.

Typical british wussiness. No wonder that your army that was better equipped, better trained and better funded got their ass kicked by some dude in Pampers sitting peacefully on the ground.

Also if you were hoping for make-up sex, you can forget about it. Your mouth is too small for giving me blowjobs anyways.

• @jweather said:

@mott555 said:
    AirPlay

AirPlay uses Bonjour to discover endpoints. Bonjour is a broadcast protocol that doesn't cross subnets by default. I'm guessing your wired and wireless subnets are different, or something else is filtering out the broadcast traffic between them, preventing automatic discovery. And since this is an Apple product, it works the automated way or it doesn't work at all.

This.

AirPlay works fine over wired ethernet.   I have a system at home with a desktop streaming to a hardwired AppleTV fine, and I can do the same from my iPad connected to a Netgear router.  When we installed an AppleTV at work we found that nobody could activate AirPlay, though.  The button/dropdown never showed up.  Wireshark showed there was absolutely no mDNS traffic announding the devices.  It turned out our IT guy had disabled mDNS in our access point controller a couple weeks before.  Grab a cap with Wireshark and see if you're getting any mDNS traffic.