I ARE ANGERED (YouTube and their coddling of fraudulent copyright trolls)

• So today in the email account associated with my Robots in the News show (WHICH YOU SHOULD ALL SUBSCRIBE TO: http://www.youtube.com/user/RobotsInTheNews?feature=mhee) I got this bullshit:

@YouTube Gullible Content Robot said:

Dear RobotsInTheNews,

Your video "Robots in the News - The Darkness 2 - Episode 1", may have content that is owned or licensed by BMVEntertainment, but it’s still available on YouTube! In some cases, ads may appear next to it.

This claim is not penalizing your account status. Visit your Copyright Notice page for more details on the policy applied to your video.

Sincerely,
    - The YouTube Team

May? MAY!? You didn't fucking check you gigantic pieces of shit? Because if you had, you'd have found out in about 26 milliseconds that The Darkness II is a property owned by Top Cow Productions, and the game itself is owned by Take-Two Interactive. I Googled the shit out of this, and BMVEntertainment doesn't have a relationship with either of those companies. For the record, Take-Two Interactive has stated clearly that they do not issue take-downs for Let's Play-style videos. Note that nobody can figure out who "BMVEntertainment" is or what exact content they own. This is because they are FUCKING FLY-BY-NIGHT SCAMMERS.

So by default, YouTube gives these obvious scammers the ability to add their advertising to my video. Google, the company that will move heaven and earth to prevent even one fraudulent click on a search placement, is perfectly ok with this scammer on YouTube.

Hey YouTube: if BMVEntertainment uploaded some footage of The Darkness II and claimed they owned it, they are the criminals, not fucking me!!!

And to be 100% clear: if Top Cow Productions or Take-Two Interactive sent me an email asking me to take down the video, I'd do it in a millisecond. That's because I respect those companies for making creative, original works. To be 110% clear: I'm not in this with the idea of making any money. I signed up to be a YouTube Partner so I could use their auto-schedule feature for my videos, not so I could add advertising to them. None of my videos are monetized, nor do I plan on every monetizing any of them in the future.

Anyway, I submitted a "dispute" stating basically the content of that second link, and we'll see if YouTube removes the forced advertising from my videos.

• I have no knowledge of the inner workings of YouTube or Google, but as they're both big companies, one owned by the other, I can imagine the following:

YT: Hmmm, Mr. BlakeyRat is disputing something that happened on our site. It must be his fault 
        as our software and systems would never allow this; forward it to Legal
    YL: Hmmm, let's forward Mr. BlakeyRat's complaint to Google Legal as they now own us
    GL: Hmmm, more BS from those Yahoos at YouTube. Let's follow corporate procedure and
        smother them in a blizzard of paperwork
    YL: Aiiiiiiiiieeeeeeeeeeeeegggggggghhhhh!

And in the mean time, the wheels are turning.

• Oh hey lookie:

@That Same YouTube Gullible Robot said:

Dear RobotsInTheNews,

BMVEntertainment has reviewed your dispute and released its copyright claim on your video, "Robots in the News - The Darkness 2 - Episode 1". For more information, please visit your Copyright Notice page

Sincerely,
    - The YouTube Team

Yeah of fucking course they did! Because they're obvious scammers, and if YouTube looked at their account (I mean a HUMAN BEING, not a gullible robot) for even a millisecond, they'd get their asses dropped faster than you can blink.

Fucking YouTube.

• @blakeyrat said:

So today in the email account associated with my Robots in the News show (WHICH YOU SHOULD ALL SUBSCRIBE TO: http://www.youtube.com/user/RobotsInTheNews?feature=mhee) I got this bullshit:

@YouTube Gullible Content Robot said:

Dear RobotsInTheNews,

Your video "Robots in the News - The Darkness 2 - Episode 1", may have content that is owned or licensed by BMVEntertainment, but it’s still available on YouTube! In some cases, ads may appear next to it.

This claim is not penalizing your account status. Visit your Copyright Notice page for more details on the policy applied to your video.

Sincerely,
    - The YouTube Team

May? MAY!? You didn't fucking check you gigantic pieces of shit? Because if you had, you'd have found out in about 26 milliseconds that The Darkness II is a property owned by Top Cow Productions, and the game itself is owned by Take-Two Interactive. I Googled the shit out of this, and BMVEntertainment doesn't have a relationship with either of those companies. For the record, Take-Two Interactive has stated clearly that they do not issue take-downs for Let's Play-style videos. Note that nobody can figure out who "BMVEntertainment" is or what exact content they own. This is because they are FUCKING FLY-BY-NIGHT SCAMMERS.

So by default, YouTube gives these obvious scammers the ability to add their advertising to my video. Google, the company that will move heaven and earth to prevent even one fraudulent click on a search placement, is perfectly ok with this scammer on YouTube.

Hey YouTube: if BMVEntertainment uploaded some footage of The Darkness II and claimed they owned it, they are the criminals, not fucking me!!!

And to be 100% clear: if Top Cow Productions or Take-Two Interactive sent me an email asking me to take down the video, I'd do it in a millisecond. That's because I respect those companies for making creative, original works. To be 110% clear: I'm not in this with the idea of making any money. I signed up to be a YouTube Partner so I could use their auto-schedule feature for my videos, not so I could add advertising to them. None of my videos are monetized, nor do I plan on every monetizing any of them in the future.

Anyway, I submitted a "dispute" stating basically the content of that second link, and we'll see if YouTube removes the forced advertising from my videos.

I've read a lot of stories about this recently - basically what's going to happen is Google is going to say f**k off and your only choice is to sue BMVEntertainment for the $3 they stole from you. It's quite a good scam actually - upload a bunch of random crap to the tubes and then dispute the crap out of other people's content - Google will almost never reverse the decision so you steal their $3 of fair use ads. Even NASA got trolled.

Edit: Wait, you won? That rarely happens in these cases.

• @snoofle said:

I have no knowledge of the inner workings of YouTube or Google, but as they're both big companies, one owned by the other, I can imagine the following:

YT: Hmmm, Mr. BlakeyRat is disputing something that happened on our site. It must be his fault
    as our software and systems would never allow this; forward it to Legal
    YL: Hmmm, let's forward Mr. BlakeyRat's complaint to Google Legal as they now own us
    GL: Hmmm, more BS from those Yahoos at YouTube. Let's follow corporate procedure and
    smother them in a blizzard of paperwork
    YL: Aiiiiiiiiieeeeeeeeeeeeegggggggghhhhh!

And in the mean time, the wheels are turning.

Actually, YouTube is very quick to respond to DMCA counterclaims. Partly because most people never write them, so when someone does it's a big deal, and partly because their complaint system is so bumjumped that fradulent complaints outnumber legitimate complaints by a ridiculous margin.

I'm pretty sure if they randomly threw out 90% of all received complaints, they would be correct in doing so more often than not.

• @curtmack said:

Actually, YouTube is very quick to respond to DMCA counterclaims. Partly because most people never write them, so when someone does it's a big deal, and partly because their complaint system is so bumjumped that fradulent complaints outnumber legitimate complaints by a ridiculous margin.

I'm pretty sure if they randomly threw out 90% of all received complaints, they would be correct in doing so more often than not.

But think about the scammer's perspective:

1) The worst-case scenario is confiscation of earnings (AFAICT), so there's very little risk

2) Some percentage of people (people who uploaded the content before you put in your auto-claim and subsequently stopped checking their YT account, people who signed up with YouTube using an email account they never use, people who just don't care as long as the video isn't pulled) are going to just not bother disputing the claim, and you permanently and forevermore get ad revenue from their videos

3) Even if a user disputes, and you (of course) resolve the dispute right away, you still earn ad revenue during those few hours between YT catching the "violation" and the user seeing the email about it

Hell, after looking into it, I'm thinking about becoming a scammer myself! (Kidding. But, seriously, that's some safe crime right there.)

Edit: oh and the YouTube dispute UI makes it look really legally scary, and I could easily see a lot of YT users being intimidated by it, since it doesn't provide much guidance, it doesn't even mention the possibility the copyright claim could be fraud, and it doesn't anywhere list your rights as a content creator. All YouTube UIs are pretty awful, but this one's awfulness has more impact than just wasting the user's time.

• So, let me get this straight: these sneaky bastards get money by just claiming they own the rights? I think I just ... I'm gonna scam me a mini-van!

• @TGV said:

So, let me get this straight: these sneaky bastards get money by just claiming they own the rights? I think I just ... I'm gonna scam me a mini-van!

Here, if you have a permanent address and phone number and can list a dozen or so works you legitimately own, BAM, the floodgates are opened! Once you get your account, start uploading samples of every anime series you've ever heard of, and cha-ching!

•  I wasn't condoning it at all, YouTube definitely needs to review their policies on copyright claims. I'm merely stating a fact (which, from what I understand, doesn't seem to be as true now as it was a year ago.

• Don't use YouTube, just post your video using BitTorrent or something like that.

• @zzo38 said:

Don't use YouTube, just post your video using BitTorrent or something like that.

Isn't saying "Don't use YouTube" rather like saying "don't use Twitter, just send an SMS to maybe 20 of your friends and get each of them to do the same, telling their friends to do the same, and so on …"?

• It's a very strange sensation to hear the voice which belongs to this "blakeyrat". I suddenly feel much less intimidated by him.

Also interesting:

And

• @zzo38 said:

Don't use YouTube, just post your video using BitTorrent or something like that.

That would provide such a nice user experience I'm sure.

• Trolleybus Mechanic

@pbean said:

It's a very strange sensation to hear the voice which belongs to this "blakeyrat". I suddenly feel much less intimidated by him.

That's a squire he hired to voice for him, specifically so you would feel disarmed and comfortable.

And then, when you're at your most vulnerable-- BAM, you get RANTED by THE VOICE!

• @blakeyrat said:

@TGV said:

So, let me get this straight: these sneaky bastards get money by just claiming they own the rights? I think I just ... I'm gonna scam me a mini-van!

Here, if you have a permanent address and phone number and can list a dozen or so works you legitimately own, BAM, the floodgates are opened! Once you get your account, start uploading samples of every anime series you've ever heard of, and cha-ching!

Nah just claim every video BMVEntertainment claims.

Some poor souls actually believe their content is owned by BMVEntertainment and post as such in their video descriptions

• @pbean said:

It's a very strange sensation to hear the voice which belongs to this "blakeyrat".

Same. I expected more yelling. 

His partner's voice sounds enough like mine to freak me out a little, though he speaks more clearly and I think has less of an accent.

•  I got the same thing today because of I used a couple of clips of Groucho Marx telling the "elephant in my pajamas" joke in two different ways.

• We could absolve the national debt if we introduced a fine for false copyright takedowns.

Also, if you ever get pulled into court, fee free to lie. It's exactly the same felony as sending a false copyright takedown (perjury).

IANALBTLTWGMKOOARLS

• @MiffTheFox said:

We could absolve the national debt if we introduced a fine for false copyright takedowns.

17 USC § 506(c):

"Fraudulent Copyright Notice. — Any person who, with fraudulent intent, places on any article a notice of copyright or words of the same purport that such person knows to be false, or who, with fraudulent intent, publicly distributes or imports for public distribution any article bearing such notice or words that such person knows to be false, shall be fined not more than $2,500."

Start enforcing it.

• @blakeyrat said:

@TGV said:

Funimation, one of the larger companies releasing subs/dubs, already has a bunch of stuff on Youtube.  I wouldn't be surprised if attempting to upload a sample for anything they own, it'll be flagged as their content.

• It's not clear to me what you are complaining about.
    Some bot checked your video for copyrighted material and gave a false positive. Oh, the humanity!
    You would like each such case to be rechecked by a human being? Yeah, and I would like the traffic lights to turn green when I approach them.

• @powerlord said:

Funimation, one of the larger companies releasing subs/dubs, already has a bunch of stuff on Youtube. I wouldn't be surprised if attempting to upload a sample for anything they own, it'll be flagged as their content.

Oh hey wow, I haven't had one of these "hilariously missing the point of my post" replies for awhile.

• @IMil said:

It's not clear to me what you are complaining about.

It's not? Because I wrote a pretty detailed explanation.

@IMil said:

Some bot checked your video for copyrighted material and gave a false positive.

Oh. So when you said "it's not clear", what you actually meant is, "it is clear." That's a crazy typo! Hahaha!

@IMil said:

You would like each such case to be rechecked by a human being?

I'm not sure. I would like a lot more policing by YT... if this fake entertainment company gets more than, say, 10 disputes a week, YT ought to take a close and careful look at all the content they're claiming to own. That would be a good compromise I think. And yes it requires a bit more manpower. But it's the right thing to do. (And, as I said in the post you didn't understand, Google probably employs 3 times the number that would take looking for click fraud, which is much less financially damaging.)

@IMil said:

Yeah, and I would like the traffic lights to turn green when I approach them.

I as well. I see we are truly kin.

• @IMil said:

It's not clear to me what you are complaining about. Some bot checked your video for copyrighted material and gave a false positive. Oh, the humanity! You would like each such case to be rechecked by a human being? Yeah, and I would like the traffic lights to turn green when I approach them.

Im pretty sure the point is YouTube's copyright policies are fucked. YouTube, cowtowing to big content, goes beyond what the DMCA requires and has an automated takedown (or ads ads) system that is notoriously problematic.

The NASA story linked earlier is interesting. By law NASA footage is public domain, no one can claim a copyright on it, its is collectively owned by the public. However some asian news channel used the footage, and added their copyrighted newscast to the system, which caused NASA uploaded videos to be flagged by their errant system.

I wouldn't be supprised to find out the system generates more false positives than legitimate hits.

• @esoterik said:

I wouldn't be supprised to find out the system generates more false positives than legitimate hits.

Which brings up another obvious improvement: if the same account get flagged X times and successfully disputes every time, YouTube should require some kind of manual intervention before it's flagged again.

• @blakeyrat said:

I as well. I see we are truly kin.

Join us next time on Ultimate Sarcasm! On a completely different time, and a completely different channel! Obviously.

•  Offtopic: Those blakeyrat videos sound like Futurama dvd-commenteries. Or maybe it's just me...

• Production Music is another big problem for YouTube's Content ID system. Production music (and often sound effects) is royalty-free music that is usually purchased as a huge library. But there are only a few of these libraries available and so many people have have access to it. There are some korean news company that uses one of these tracks as its theme song, and youtube flags any video using the music, used completly legally mind you, automatically and fradulently.

Actually if you want to be a really evil ContentID troll, upload samples of several popular production music libraries, and just watch the cash roll in.