&νβσπ;

• For some reason I'm still on a bunch of mailing lists at my university even though I graduated last year. Today I got an email that had the following text:

information sessions for students studying:
    •&νβσπ;Software & Web Development
    •&νβσπ;Information Systems
    •&νβσπ;Telecommunications & Networking

Searching Google for &νβσπ; brings back 700 results. What is this strange series of characters and where does it come from?

• Given it starts with & and ends with ;, It looks like some kind of psuedo-html control code that was mangled by character encodings or a badly written parser. Or both.

• nbsp, perhaps?

• Specifically, it's " " written in the font Symbol. (Or else the Unicode characters that look the same, like were used in the thread title.) Equivalently, it can be seen as " " with English letters replaced by their Greek phonetic equivalents.

• @Daniel15 said:

For some reason I'm still on a bunch of mailing lists at my university even though I graduated last year. Today I got an email that had the following text:

information sessions for students studying:
    •&νβσπ;Software & Web Development
    •&νβσπ;Information Systems
    •&νβσπ;Telecommunications & Networking

Searching Google for &νβσπ; brings back 700 results. What is this strange series of characters and where does it come from?

Are you using Lotus Notes? I wonder if there is a Lotus Notes expert somewhere that could help...

The Power Of Domino Compels You! The Power Of Domino Compels You! Yellow Dude, Come Out Of The Shadows!

• @ais523 said:

Specifically, it's " " written in the font Symbol. (Or else the Unicode characters that look the same, like were used in the thread title.) Equivalently, it can be seen as " " with English letters replaced by their Greek phonetic equivalents.

You devil! You must be one of those sudoku people!

• @ais523 said:

Specifically, it's " " written in the font Symbol. (Or else the Unicode characters that look the same, like were used in the thread title.) Equivalently, it can be seen as " " with English letters replaced by their Greek phonetic equivalents.

Assuming the original post was copy&paste, the later is more likely. Probably somebody forgot they had Greek keyboard when they typed in the HTML.

• @Bulb said:

Probably somebody forgot they had Greek keyboard when they typed in the HTML.

More likely it's an MS Word to web-based CMS copy & paste operation that went south. Word's bulleted lists by default use the Symbol font for their bullets and include a non-breaking space after the bullets...

• @Ragnax said:

More likely it's an MS Word to web-based CMS copy & paste operation that went south.
    You'd think that, but then there's:

and especially:

Looks like sites that push everything through a "convert-to-locale-phonetics" filter, and then people copy&pasting from that.

<п>this is a paragraph with a<бр />linebreak</п>

• @ais523 said:

More likely it's an MS Word to web-based CMS copy & paste operation that went south. Word's bulleted lists by default use the Symbol font for their bullets and include a non-breaking space after the bullets...

Ah, I see. That's quite interesting.

Are you using Lotus Notes?
    Nope - My university uses some Hotmail thing which I forward to my personal Google Apps account.