Web 0.1 journal website

• Hi, long time lurker, but I had to share this one.

I work in the academia, and I just got an e-mail from the Antarctica Journal of Mathematics (WTF #1), offering me to publish a paper with them for only $3 a page.

But the best part is their homepage. Makes me want to put my eyes out...

• @fph said:

http://www.domainsmoon.com/ajm.html

"We need to buy a domain name!" "I know, let's buy "ajm"!

"Wait, this isn't my car!"

Needs more wooden tables.

• If the journal is as colorful as the webpage, I'd decorate my living room with it.

• I almost wish blink and marquee tags worked on wallpaper. Like actual paper that gets glued to real, physical walls.

• @fph said:

Hi, long time lurker, but I had to share this one.

I work in the academia, and I just got an e-mail from the Antarctica Journal of Mathematics (WTF #1), offering me to publish a paper with them for only $3 a page.

@ajm said:

GLOBAL ASSOICATION OF PURE AND APPLIED MATHEMATICS
    SCIENTIFIC FACTORS FOR JOURNALS, INDIVIDUALS, UNIVERSITES, COLLEGES,INSTITUTIONS, COMAPNIES,ORGANIZATIONS etc.

...those people want to step on Mars next year. I hope there is a spell-check on their space shuttle's computer.

• Disappointed that the star background wasn't animated.

EDIT: OH CRAP IT IS!!!! I guess Chrome has some sort of "good taste filter" that stops the animation.

• That would be stretching the meaning of the word "animation" to new limits. They should get some credit for repeating the background, however..

..AGAIN!!!

• Look at that long enough and you wouldn't need to put your eyes out. They'll jump out of your head of their own volition, shut down your computer, and beat you to death with your own mouse for not leaving that site the very instant it opened.

• @blakeyrat said:

Disappointed that the star background wasn't animated.

EDIT: OH CRAP IT IS!!!! I guess Chrome has some sort of "good taste filter" that stops the animation.

I have an almost irresistible urge to breakdance.

• And Geocities rises from the grave again. That is not dead that can eternal lie…

• What, no bgsound? (Yes, I did put on my headset just to check...)

• @ekolis said:

What, no bgsound? (Yes, I did put on my headset just to check...)
    FTFY
    Edit: apparently CS blocks html5 <audio> tags...

• @Ben L. said:

I think it's reasonable to think that the way they done their "abstracts" page is plentifully woodentably.

So I think so.

• @Ben L. said:

Given the lack of sound all I can say is it Needs More CowBell

• @Ben L. said:

@ekolis said:
    What, no bgsound? (Yes, I did put on my headset just to check...)
    FTFY
    Edit: apparently CS blocks html5 <audio> tags...

What I can conclude from your post + edit is that you have a suboptimal QA process and clearly are not following TDD principles when using this forum.

This is a perfect skill set for a Lotus Note developer. You should send your resume to Yellow Dude from the Lotus Notes Twitter Squad so he can pass it to his pals at the aboriginal branch of IBM in kangarooland.

• This is truly horrible.

Anybody else have a look at the Archimedes, Bessel, Cayley and Diophantus Journals of Mathematics? All exactly the same, with a different title image.

I don't see them linked anywhere, but the (OH GOD MY EYES) buy an article page also lists Galois and Zadeh Journals of Mathematics.

Scammy, much?

Now I'm going to go and look at a nice plain white wall for a few minutes. Hopefully it will stay still.

• The process to "view" the journals is pretty straightforward, unlike complicated sites like WSF or NYT:

How to view this journal? All the fiels are in MS Word format.
    (1) You must have MS Word (WINDOWS) loaded into your programme files.
    (2)  You have to purchase or download free(30 days trial) a software[such as] Math Type from the following site.
           http://www.dessci.com/en/products/mathtype/trial.asp
    (3) After having Math Type, please install into your programs of start menu.
    (4) You must have passwords given by us to open each  file.
          Note: For Passwords contact the Editor-In-Chief, mkrsveerakumar@yahoo.com

Note: still waiting for my password for the "fiels".

• Did a bit of research and finally found a working list of abstracts. By reading the papers I found a serious flaw in the theorem 5.09 of BETWEEN SEMI-CLOSED SETS AND SEMI-PRE-CLOSED SETS so I was not surprised to see that the proof is "omitted" - what a lazy researcher.

I also found a security breach in this business model; while the papers founds on Domainmoons are password-protected Word documents, they are freely available as html (although indirectly obfuscated by the awful visual design) on the angelfire site.

• @fph said:

This is not proper web 0.1, because only part of the text is centered. There were very clear design guidelines back then:

• Predominantly black animated background
    • Different (preferably hard-to-read) colours on each line
    • All text and images must be centered

Really, you people have no idea of historical accuracy.

• @Severity One said:

@fph said:

This is not proper web 0.1, because only part of the text is centered. There were very clear design guidelines back then:

• Predominantly black animated background
    • Different (preferably hard-to-read) colours on each line
    • All text and images must be centered

Really, you people have no idea of historical accuracy.

View Source much? It's all centered with a <center> tag. Which explains why it's not centered.

Edit: No wait, I'm wrong #readingsourcecomprehensionfail

• @SEMI-HYBRID code said:

I think it's reasonable to think that the way they done their "abstracts" page is plentifully woodentably.

Have you seen the  textbooks? Each page is a .gif, which Firefox displays with black text on a dark grey background (this one might be Firefox's problem, though).

(incidentally, all the "well, at least there isn't a... OH CRAP THERE IS!" posts are hilarious).

• @fph said:

which Firefox displays with black text on a dark grey background

It's a feature of Firefox to display loose images front-and-center on a dark background. This is a good decision. Yay.

It can't be helped if some ape exports images of text and sets the white color as transparent.

• @dhromed said:

It's a feature of Firefox to display loose images front-and-center on a dark background. This is a good decision. Yay.

They stole the idea from Windows Vista UAC dialog, which was a key contributor to the success of that OS.

• Looking at one [URL=http://www.domainsmoon.com//na/na1.gif]of the gifs[/URL], it looks like someone said "Oh, Cool! Times New Roman has glyphs that I can type real math in (sort of). I'll publish a screenshot from Notepad. That's plenty of typesetting."

•  Woooo, a time machine!

They aready have the journal of november 2012 !

http://www.domainsmoon.com/ajm/november2012/abs126.html

• @fph said:

Hi, long time lurker, but I had to share this one

Share it also with Vincent Flanders. Give it the exposure/credit it deserves!