It's so nice to share



  • At home, I've shared one of my folders to another computer on our local network. That person now has read-only access to that folder.

    Is there a decent way of securely sharing a folder like that with a specific person through the interwebs? I'm only rudimentarily familiar with network configurations.


  • Discourse touched me in a no-no place

    @dhromed said:

    Is there a decent way of securely sharing a folder like that with a specific person through the interwebs?
    Dropbox? Probably have to encrypt the files/use a TrueCrypted partition if you want to be sure of the "secure" bit.



  • I'll investigate that, thanks. I have a dropbox but I don't use it much, and maybe you can share things without the shared being constantly synchronized to dropbox.

    "Secure" in this case means that I might give a (trusted!) person the key to my house, rather than keeping my front door ajar. I imagine that can be done via settings on my router, but playing with that is hardly routine for me.



  •  I do the same thing but over https - a directory is web-accessible so some trusted individuals can browse and download at whim, but can't upload.



  • Microsoft LiveMesh will do it. It can do directly computer-to-computer without passing through cloud servers (like DropBox does). That also means there's no filesize limit.

    It's basically the old Foldershare program with a different name.



  • @blakeyrat said:

    Microsoft LiveMesh will do it.
     

    Nois. Will check it out.



  • @blakeyrat said:

    Microsoft LiveMesh will do it. It can do directly computer-to-computer without passing through cloud servers (like DropBox does). That also means there's no filesize limit.

    It's basically the old Foldershare program with a different name.

    Livemesh is requiring install on all computers. You can also take look at box.net
    I and my friend share file by making use of rapidshare and megaupload (now dead).



  • If I want so give a file to someone, I'm good. Hell, I could just use a USB stick. The goal is to let someone look of his/her own volition, as much like a locally shared folder as possible.



  • @Nagesh said:

    megaupload (now dead).
     

    So YOU'RE the filthy pirate that's funding Kimball Shiltz' ill-gotten gains!



  • @dhromed said:

    Is there a decent way of securely sharing a folder like that with a specific person through the interwebs?

    Likely what you want is FTP over SSL (FTPS), which is implemented by the free, open-source and very excellent FileZilla FTP Client & Server.

    It should be fairly easy to configure the server using the guides on their wiki.



  • @Cassidy said:

    @Nagesh said:

    megaupload (now dead).
     

    So YOU'RE the filthy pirate that's funding Kimball Shiltz' ill-gotten gains!

    Yes I watching all FLOP Hindi movies this way.


    I not ashamed to admit it. Good movie I will go watch at talkies.



  • @Nagesh said:

    @Cassidy said:

    @Nagesh said:

    megaupload (now dead).
     

    So YOU'RE the filthy pirate that's funding Kimball Shiltz' ill-gotten gains!

    Yes I watching all FLOP Hindi movies this way.


    I not ashamed to admit it. Good movie I will go watch at talkies.

    How do you know that a movie is good before you watch it? IMDB ratings? Horoscope?



  • @Speakerphone Dude said:

    @Nagesh said:
    @Cassidy said:

    @Nagesh said:

    megaupload (now dead).
     

    So YOU'RE the filthy pirate that's funding Kimball Shiltz' ill-gotten gains!

    Yes I watching all FLOP Hindi movies this way.


    I not ashamed to admit it. Good movie I will go watch at talkies.

    How do you know that a movie is good before you watch it? IMDB ratings? Horoscope?

    First I watch online. If I think it is good, I will ready spend cash on it and watch at talkies.

    It is simple logic. Also please avoid bollywood movie title "Cocktail". It is depressing movie and waste of money.
    If you're girl type sensitiveness person, you may like it.


Log in to reply
 

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.