So you can run Office 95 on Windows 7, but you can no longer run Live Messenger 2009?

• @Speakerphone Dude said:

@El_Heffe said:

@Douglasac said:

you can't block people (instead the option is to just show up as Offline to people instead)
    This is the problem with all of the so-called "social media".   You can "friend" "or "like"  someone, but you can't "stay the fuck away from me" someone.

You have a good idea for a startup right there. It doesn't even have to work or be profitable, as long as you can convince VC people you're set for life!

Saddly, someone beat me to it.  There goes my millions.

• Trolleybus Mechanic

@El_Heffe said:

Saddly, someone beat me to it.  There goes my millions.

This is social media we're talking about. You don't need to be first, or even original. You just need to put that VC money into lawsuits.

• No you are not stuck with Windows Live Essentials 2011 or with Windows Live Messenger 2011.

I have got WLE 2009 on all of my Windows Vista,Windows 7 and Windows 8 laptops. But a few days ago after I had re-installed Windows 7 on one of my netbooks.After the installation of WLE 2009 finished,WL Messenger opened as it does after first time installation. And I got the same message as you got telling me to upgrade.

So what I did was very simple. First I changed the WLM setting to start when Windows starts by un-ticking that box setting. Then I logged out.

Now to get WL Messenger 2009 to disable that annoying update and get WL messenger 2009 working again,you must do the following.

Go to the Windows Live Messenger program exe,that can be found in your start menu or Windows Live programs folder on C/Drive.

Now you need to change the program compatibility settings to run in compatibility mode for Windows XP Service Pack 3 or Windows XP Service pack 2.

To do this right click on the exe file and click properties. And under compatibility settings select change settings for all users. Then select run program in compatibility mode for Windows XP Service pack 3 or Windows XP Service pack 2. Save settings then exit.

Now when you open WL messenger 2009 you will no longer get that annoying update and you will be able to log into WL Messenger 2009 and use it again.

I always set my WLM 2009 to run in compatibility mode for Windows XP. Because you then get the icon in the taskbar notification area like in Windows XP. And not in the middle of the taskbar.

I hate WLE 2011 version.I don't like the Ribbon in WL Photo Gallery 2011 or in WL Mail 2011. In WLE 2009 there is no Ribbon. And I don't like WL Messenger 2011 either. it is slow and buggy.It is not very user friendly,and crashes a lot.

All of these reasons and too many to write are all the reasons why I stay with WLE 2009. And a lot of other users are not happy with WLE 2011 either.

But no,you don't need to hack any files with RS Hacker or anything. You just need to change the program compatibility settings to Windows XP.And WLE 2009 and WLM 2009 is working on my Windows 8, Windows Vista and Windows 7 laptops. That's all.

Andrea Borman.

mod: reinserted linebreaks. Blame the forum. —dh