Zero-based list index

• Lately I've been writing a script to automate some tasks in InDesign, with a little window to set some options. This includes a drop-down list with stuff in it, from which you can find out the user's selection by the value of the list's selected index property. This index is zero-based, [i]except for the last item[/i] — the index of that equals the number of items in the list.

• So, a five item array would be:

lwddb[0] =first value

lwddb[1]=second value

lwddb[2]=third value

lwddb[3]=fourth value

lwddb[4]=crash

lwddb[5]=fifth value.

Hmm. Me thinks some marbles have been lost. I cannot rightly comprehend the confusion of ideas that would lead to such a construct, nor the glorbishly fromulent code required to handle it! for(i;i<len -1;i++) {code}; i=len; copy-paste of code, perhaps? or lots of {i==len-1?i+1:i}'s? The mind boggles.

• Somewhere, someone got angry writing stuff like list[list.size - 1].

This is even stupider than zero indexing months, because at least that's consistent.

• Perhaps the problem could be mitigated a bit with something like: for (i = 0; i <= length; i++) if (i != length - 1) { code; }

Though really, this should never have been an issue to begin with.

I suggest tracking down the person responsible and seeing how many fire pokers can be inserted into them.

• You're sure the second-last item isn't a separator you forgot to count?

•  foreach(Row in Tables.Rows)
    {
       lists.add(Row["value"])

}

lists[lists.length [b] + 1[/b]] = "I am the last value standing ahahahahahahahahah!"

Or something like that

• @robbak said:

So, a five item array would be:

lwddb[0] =first value

[snip]

Yep, as far as I can tell by some experimentation (logging the selected index and the contents of the array that I use to fill the list), that's exactly what happens.

@Salamander said:

Perhaps the problem could be mitigated a bit with something like: for (i = 0; i <= length; i++) if (i != length - 1) { code; }

Though really, this should never have been an issue to begin with.

That is, indeed, pretty much the solution I came up with as well, and also my conclusion. I still wonder if there's something I'm missing, but not as far as I've been able to tell.

@flabdablet said:

You're sure the second-last item isn't a separator you forgot to count?

I've got an array of strings that I use to create list items from; I get the same number of list items as I have elements in the array, and in the same order. Having the script log the selected index number gets me 0 if I select the first item, 1 for the second, 2 for the third, and so on as you would expect, but not for the last item, which returns the number of list items. I added extra items to the array/list and removed them from it, and the exact same thing happens no matter how many items there are …

The problem wouldn't exist if I could get the displayed name of the item that the user selected from the control, but it apparently only returns the index and an array of strings containing [i]all[/i] the list items (as far as things useful to this problem go, anyway). But since I already have an array with those, there's no point in trying to get something useful from that either, I'd say.

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.