I hate place-holder code

• @blakeyrat said:

@morbiuswilters said:
    @serguey123 said:
    @morbiuswilters said:
    I doubt I'd think the book is better than the movie
    Perhaps, taste is very subjective, for the most part I really enjoy reading books and tends to favor this activity over others

I enjoy reading, too. And I don't usually like movies better than books, but The Godfather Parts I & II are such spectacular films that it's hard for me to imagine the books are better.

I only read history.

But the point is, the Godfather movies (well, the first two) are constantly brought up by everybody listing great movies. The Godfather novels are never brought up by people listing great novels. Case closed.

I read the book, then watched the first movie (haven't gotten around to watching the second), and enjoyed both.  The book reads a bit like it was written with a film adaptation in mind (which often seems to be the case in crime novels).  I wouldn't call it great literature, but it's a good read.

@morbiuswilters said:
    Saw Serenity and it was so laughably stupid that it made me vow to never watch Firefly.

Same here. I've never understood Whedon fans. At all. The amount of attention Firefly got is so much greater than the amount of attention it deserved-- especially galling when another show that did basically everything Whedon did earlier and better (The Adventures of Brisco County, Jr) is completely ignored.

Agreed.  Buffy the Vampire Slayer was also overhyped garbage.  Joss Whedon is like the Steve Jobs of television: there's a certain segment of the population that will eat up whatever he dishes out, no questions asked.

• @blakeyrat said:

And works like Lord of the Rings I'd never be familiar with if not for the movies, since the books are so poorly-written. (Yeah I went there, fanboys.)

Yep. One-third through The Two Towers I said "If there's another fucking hobbit song, I'm throwing this shitty book away." And on the next page was another fucking hobbit song. (I actually thought The Hobbit was a pretty good book, though.)

@blakeyrat said:

Same here. I've never understood Whedon fans. At all.

His dialogue was rotten. The bad guys basically just say "I am evil and will do evil things!" and the good-ish guys are like "That makes me angry and motivates me to action!" And then there were those hokey "western" expressions (delivered with equally-hokey "western" accents). Clearly, Joss Whedon has never left his hugbox to hear actual human beings speak.

• @PJH said:

The ones I usually bring up when talking about this are Stephen King's 'It'...

Every Stephen King movie is worse than the book. Every. Single. One. Was The Shining an good movie? Sure. Was The Green Mile also a really good movie? Sure. But both fell short (especially The Green Mile which I think missed the entire point of the ending and the central theme of the story.)

• @serguey123 said:

The only Star Trek I watched was a couple of the movies, the one with the whales and the one that Shatner dies and they suck balls

IV and Generations. A lot of people like IV, but I never got it. Generations is widely reviled (especially for "dropping a bridge" on Shatner.)

• @blakeyrat said:

(The Adventures of Brisco County, Jr) is completely ignored.

Not at my house. We love Brisco (and Pete: he ... he touched my PIECE!) and Bruce Campbell.

• @zelmak said:

@blakeyrat said:

(The Adventures of Brisco County, Jr) is completely ignored.

Not at my house. We love Brisco (and Pete: he ... he touched my PIECE!) and Bruce Campbell.

Brisco County failed because it was TOO successful.

It was exceeding expectations during the first season so much that halfway through Fox ordered 4 more episodes. The problem is they had already carefully planned the wrap-up to the first season, and they couldn't even get the story for the second season set up in only 4 episodes, so they tried airing those lousy "Brisco is suddenly a secret agent" episodes to close-out the season. They weren't terrible, but it's a bad idea for your great show to go out on 4 weak episodes in a row, and they didn't get enough time to "hide" the weak episodes in-between the strong ones. When it came time to renew, the only episodes people could remember were the weakest ones.

Which of course brings us to the continuing theme when discussing all TV: Fox network executives are goddamned retards.

I loved how Brisco was always looking for the Next Big Thing, one of which was always featured in the episode he was in, and he never recognized it, always dismissing it as stupid. "Fast food restaurant? Dumb." "Diving suit? Who wants to go underwater." "Armored car? My horse is better." Etc.

• @blakeyrat said:

Which of course brings us to the continuing theme when discussing all TV: Fox network executives are goddamned retards.

To be fair, they did put The Simpsons on the air (and then kept it on for 13 years after every last drop of humor had been squeezed out). But other than that, yeah.

• @morbiuswilters said:

Generations is widely reviled (especially for "dropping a bridge" on Shatner.)

Generations sucked massive throbbing veiny cock. Other than one or two humourous scenes (and Shatner playing his own smug self) the only saving grace was that it killed off TOS and allowed successive films to be placed in TNG context.

First Contact was good - managed to land a preview in a near-deserted cinema where they jacked the volume up higher than normal. Was dead creepy; loved it.

• @morbiuswilters said:

@blakeyrat said:

To be fair, they did put The Simpsons on the air (and then kept it on for 13 years after every last drop of humor had been squeezed out). But other than that, yeah.

The thing that makes no sense about The Simpsons is how it ever got established in the first place.

Remember, we're talking about Fox here.  Patron saint of Screwed By The Network.  And if you ever go back and look at the first season of The Simpsons, it's... horrible.  Not funny at all or anything.  How it ever survived on Fox long enough to become funny in the first place is one of the great wonders of our age.

• @Mason Wheeler said:

And if you ever go back and look at the first season of The Simpsons, it's... horrible. Not funny at all or anything.

It wasn't that bad, compared to the other schlock Fox had at the time. Also, the very first episode of season 2 ("Bart Gets an F") is one of the greatest episodes they ever made, if not the greatest.

• ♿ (Parody)

@morbiuswilters said:

@blakeyrat said:
    And works like Lord of the Rings I'd never be familiar with if not for the movies, since the books are so poorly-written. (Yeah I went there, fanboys.)

Yep. One-third through The Two Towers I said "If there's another fucking hobbit song, I'm throwing this shitty book away." And on the next page was another fucking hobbit song. (I actually thought The Hobbit was a pretty good book, though.)

Those books definitely aren't for everybody. I felt similarly, the first few times through, but at this point, I enjoy those parts very much. There's a lot of richness in there that gets in the way of a page turning adventure, so if that's what you want, you came to the wrong place.

The movies are worth watching, if only for the production values.

In a similar vein, I have really mixed feelings about the movie adaptation of Dune. Unless you've read the book, there's pretty much no way to figure out what's going on, because too much has to be cut out to get down to a reasonable length movie. But the visuals were awesome. The costumes and sets really had a late 19th early 20th century Age of Great Powers feel to them, which was right on the money.

• @blakeyrat said:

@Mason Wheeler said:
    And if you ever go back and look at the first season of The Simpsons, it's... horrible. Not funny at all or anything.

It wasn't that bad, compared to the other schlock Fox had at the time. Also, the very first episode of season 2 ("Bart Gets an F") is one of the greatest episodes they ever made, if not the greatest.

Agreed. The first season wasn't stellar, but remember that one of Fox's top shows of the time was a Martin Lawrence sitcom and you'll realize why they didn't cancel The Simpsons. "Bart Gets an F" is a great episode (not the best, IMO, but very good) and it marked the transition to much higher-quality scripts, which continued all the way through season 9-or-10-ish.

• @boomzilla said:

Those books definitely aren't for everybody. I felt similarly, the first few times through, but at this point, I enjoy those parts very much. There's a lot of richness in there that gets in the way of a page turning adventure, so if that's what you want, you came to the wrong place.

Yeah, it's basically a fantasy encyclopedia for nerds to jerk off to.

@boomzilla said:

The movies are worth watching, if only for the production values.

They're reasonably entertaining, but too goddamn long. There are so many nearly-identical battle scenes. I guess if they trimmed it down to an acceptable length the fans would've cried, but I personally enjoy nerd tears. And The Hobbit is going to be 48fps, so it'll probably be shit.

@boomzilla said:

In a similar vein, I have really mixed feelings about the movie adaptation of Dune.

Never saw it. Book was pretty good, but I wouldn't read it again. I want to see a movie adaptation of "A Canticle For Leibowitz", although it would probably suck.

• @morbiuswilters said:

I want to see a movie adaptation of "A Canticle For Leibowitz", although it would probably suck.

I'd love to see one of Ringworld, but:

1) Everybody would compare it to Halo

2) It would probably suck

But, hell, we finally have good enough CGI to make a Speaker. I just want to see Speaker on the screen.

• Trolleybus Mechanic

@blakeyrat said:

@morbiuswilters said:
    I want to see a movie adaptation of "A Canticle For Leibowitz", although it would probably suck.

I'd love to see one of Ringworld, but:

1) Everybody would compare it to Halo

2) It would probably suck

But, hell, we finally have good enough CGI to make a Speaker. I just want to see Speaker on the screen.

I want to see a Puppeteer.

Then I want to see a Puppeteer kick out the still-beating heart of the enemy party's leader.

Only then do I want to see Speaker-- taking down the rest of the party

What we'll get: Shia LeBeouf playing Luis Wu against a CGI backdrop that's five passes away from being properly textured.

• @Lorne Kates said:

I want to see a Puppeteer.

Then I want to see a Puppeteer kick out the still-beating heart of the enemy party's leader.

It would take a lot of talent to make a Puppeteer look non-goofy. Possible, maybe.

@Lorne Kates said:

What we'll get: Shia LeBeouf playing Luis Wu against a CGI backdrop that's five passes away from being properly textured.

Last time we got a Speaker-esque alien on-screen. Ironically, the film-budget production had worse-looking Kilrathi than the video game-budget production it was based on, go figure.

And you're totally right, they'd totally cast a white-white-white actor to play Louis. And they probably wouldn't have the casual nudity and body-painting in the Earth scenes. Which, eh.

Even if they fucked up Speaker's appearance, they could pull it off if it still had his attitude. The fact that Louis Wu had, as his "second in command"-esque guy, an alien who was openly plotting to destroy the Earth and kill all humans is pretty much the best thing in science fiction ever. That scene where he sees how the Ringworld deflects asteroids and he goes, "with a weapon like that I could boil the Earth! ... it was a natural thought, Louis." Epic.

• @blakeyrat said:

But the point is, the Godfather movies (well, the first two) are constantly brought up by everybody listing great movies. The Godfather novels are never brought up by people listing great novels. Case closed.

Maybe books are on a different scale so an average book equates a great movie

@blakeyrat said:

the books are so poorly-written

How so? I read the LOTR in my language so I don't know if the translation does justice. I did read some of his other books in english and I kind of enjoyed it, then again I do love books and one of my favorites is Don Quixote (one of the funniest books ever) so maybe my tastes are broken.

@Cassidy said:

Catch the latest film, the reboot. I thought it pretty good.

Sure I'll add it to my list but Star Trek has been a dissapointment so far, Galaxy Quest on the other hand...

@Cassidy said:

You may like Stargate:Universe, if you've not seen it. You don't need to have seen the original Stargate series, but if you do then some concepts may be a bit clearer (they don't backstory much).

I watched the whole thing, the movies, SG1, Atlantis and catched some of the episodes of Universe, hmmm I thought that they cancelled it, I will finish it when I find the time but on the whole I was not so impressed by the direction the series took. I'm not fond of the fake documentary stuff, it is kind of annoying to me and I'm not sure they could pull an awesome finale, however I'll give it a try.
    @Cassidy said:

Seen "Caprica"? Some felt it was quite weak, but I enjoyed it - more because everyone knew the destination but were along to experience the journey

I think I watched a trailer or something, I'll see if I can get it

• @serguey123 said:

@blakeyrat said:

How so? I read the LOTR in my language so I don't know if the translation does justice. I did read some of his other books in english and I kind of enjoyed it, then again I do love books and one of my favorites is Don Quixote (one of the funniest books ever) so maybe my tastes are broken.

I was able to easily get through Don Quixote, but trying to read LOTR was like wandering around aimless in a fog.

• @Cassidy said:

You may like Stargate:Universe,

Yessss. IT was so damn good.

Until partway through S2, when the serious, quiet, introspective tone got muddled with SG1's quirkiness. It just didn't work at all. :\

Catch the latest film, the reboot. I thought it pretty good.

The movie Star Trek had high production values. And nothing else at all.

• @Cassidy said:

Generations sucked massive throbbing veiny cock.

I liked it a lot. My primary judgement for Star Trek movies is that they do not feel like stretched-out episodes (like Nemesis and Insurrection did. God what trite nonsense were those.)

@Cassidy said:

First Contact was good

+1

• @serguey123 said:

I'm not fond of the fake documentary stuff

SGU is not a fake documentary. There's just a few sequences where Eli films some stuff, but its basic format is  definitely not fake documentary.

• OK guys, now talk about Dr Who, and that new Sherlock series that pretty much every tumblerer is such a fan of.

Also Game Of Thrones which is pretty good!

I already saw the first episode of Dexter. Two months ago.

• @dhromed said:

@Cassidy said:
    Generations sucked massive throbbing veiny cock.
    I liked it a lot. My primary judgement for Star Trek movies is that they do not feel like stretched-out episodes (like Nemesis and Insurrection did. God what trite nonsense were those.)

Seriously?

Ladies and gentlemen, the only person in the universe who liked Star Trek Generations! (Although he is right about Nemesis and Insurrection. The sad fact is that all Next Gen movies, other than First Contact, were shit on toast.)

• @blakeyrat said:

The sad fact is that all Next Gen movies, other than First Contact, were shit on toast.

I still like Generations.

I didn't much like Wrath of Khan.

• @blakeyrat said:

I was able to easily get through Don Quixote, but trying to read LOTR was like wandering around aimless in a fog.

I was expecting reasons as to why you hated LOTR

@dhromed said:

SGU is not a fake documentary

Never said it was
    @dhromed said:
    There's just a few sequences where Eli films some stuff,

Henceforth called "horrible horrible chapters" because they use the kinos more than one for the same purpose, heck there is even an entire chapter of pretty much recorded kinos, anyhow this kind of killed the magic for me.
    @dhromed said:
    its basic format is  definitely not fake documentary.

Is was more like a gritty reboot with dark undertones which is very different from what previous TV Series were about, however it felt disconnected as Earth had almost zero stakes in this endeavor because they were basically cut off, alone in space, destined to die a horrible horrible dead recorded by the chubby computer guy.
    @dhromed said:
    Sherlock series

Ohh, they made another season of that?
    @dhromed said:
    tumblerer

Is that an actual word?
    @dhromed said:
    Game Of Thrones which is pretty good!

I watched the first episode of the first season, it looks that it has good production values but I'll withhold judgement until all seasons are out, however I was mildly annoyed that they chose to skip the first book altogether.
    @dhromed said:

So.... good for you?

• @serguey123 said:

@dhromed said:
    Game Of Thrones which is pretty good!

I watched the first episode of the first season, it looks that it has good production values but I'll withhold judgement until all seasons are out, however I was mildly annoyed that they chose to skip the first book altogether.

Beg pardon? Game of Thrones is the first book of GRR Martin's "A Song of Ice and Fire" series. And Martin has not yet finished the series. My guess is that there are at least two books to go, which, given Martin's rate of production, means the finale should be on bookshelves by December, 2022.

• @rstinejr said:

Beg pardon? Game of Thrones is the first book of GRR Martin's "A Song of Ice and Fire" series

*headdesk
    I f**ed there, sorry, for some reason I had this series and another kind of like it mixed up, so far the series looks good with only some minor differences with the book (well at least on the first episode), when I watch the rest by 2022 I let you know.

• @serguey123 said:

Henceforth called "horrible horrible chapters" because they use the kinos more than one for the same purpose, heck there is even an entire chapter of pretty much recorded kinos, anyhow this kind of killed the magic for me.

Maybe you want to restate that because I don't really know what you mean. Chapter = episode? Same purpose... what purpose?

@serguey123 said:

Ohh, they made another season of that?

All I know is those subtitled gif-collections of scenes that people make nowadays.

• @dhromed said:

Chapter = episode?

Yes
    @dhromed said:
    Same purpose... what purpose?

Fake documentary vibe

• @dhromed said:

OK guys, now talk about Dr Who, and that new Sherlock series that pretty much every tumblerer is such a fan of.

I don't trust the taste of anybody who thinks Tumblr is a good blogging platform.

• @serguey123 said:

@blakeyrat said:

I was expecting reasons as to why you hated LOTR

I was fucking 15. Give me a break. I don't keep a super-detailed "why Blakey hates X" diary. Especially for something I looked at 20 years ago.

• @blakeyrat said:

I was fucking 15

That must have been a hell of a party
    @blakeyrat said:
    Give me a break

^c
    @blakeyrat said:
    I don't keep a super-detailed "why Blakey hates X" diary

I thought you had a blog
    @blakeyrat said:
    Especially for something I looked at 20 years ago

Ohh, ok, that is fair then, it would have been interesting to know why you considered it bad.

So any takers?

• @dhromed said:

@blakeyrat said:

The sad fact is that all Next Gen movies, other than First Contact, were shit on toast.

I still like Generations.

I didn't much like Wrath of Khan.

I will definitely give you credit for forming your own opinions and not simply following the crowd.

• @dhromed said:

I stopped watching in the middle of the third episode. To me, Dexter is clearly murder porn for sociopaths.

A lot of my friends like it and have told me that the end of the 4th season is utter shit.

• @serguey123 said:

Ohh, ok, that is fair then, it would have been interesting to know why you considered it bad.

So any takers?

It's plodding. Pages and pages of descriptions of the landscape they are passing through. Most of the book just seems to be a nature walk.

The characters didn't seem particularly developed. Maybe it's just me, but I couldn't keep Merry and Pippin straight.

A lot of the plot seems to hinge on deus ex machina. Things rarely seemed to progress naturally.

The level of detail really seems to detract from the plot (or lack thereof). You spend so much time cataloging and organizing your understanding of Middle Earth that the plot almost feels secondary.

Maybe people like those things, I don't know. I read the Hobbit when I was 14 or so and I liked it a lot. I read the LOTR books about 9 years ago when the movies came out (I think it was between the release of Fellowship and Two Towers). I liked the movies well-enough (and several of my friends were going through Tolkein Madness) so I thought the books would be really good. I made it about 40 pages into Fellowship when the smile was erased from my face and I was like "Oh, fuck, this isn't a slow start, this is how the rest of the book is going to be."

I read it in 2 days, then pushed on to Two Towers. By that point I just wanted to plow through the rest of the books and be done with it, just so I could say I had. A nagging voice in the back of my head said "You shouldn't be wasting your time on this stuff if you don't like it." Then I hit a wall. I had cleared Fellowship quickly from sheer momentum going into it, but once I start disliking a book and seeing reading it as a chore, I procrastinate and it can take me months to finish it. I saw Two Towers heading that way and said to myself "Okay, buckle down, push on." Then there was an egregiously long section of hobbit songs; I remember cursing loudly and flipping through it as quickly as possible. Then I said something like "Okay, if there's one more hobbit song I'm throwing this away" mostly as a joke, but there was another hobbit song and I realized that I might die tomorrow and life is too short to spend it hating what I'm doing, so I flung the book hard against the wall and never read it again.

• @blakeyrat said:

@serguey123 said:
    @blakeyrat said:

I'd be interested in your take on Journey to the West. Ostensibly about a monk retrieving a set of sacred texts, the bulk of it is taken up with a digression into the adventures of his secondary characters.  Sort of like if you inserted sixteen hours of Wookiee history into the middle of The Empire Strikes Back.

• My only complain is the nested quoting. You'll have paragraphs describing a scene, and then a character starts telling a story, and you get paragraphs describing a scene, and then in that story another character starts talking. I remember this happening a lot at Agent Smith's hangout. I frequently got confused with who was talking, and who was talking about talking, and who was describing, or if we were at top-level narration. I'd be like, finally! End quote! We're back to the story! and then a page or two later, there's another end quote! Noooooo!! Who was doing the talking all this time??

But other than that, when I got things straight again, I'd have to call them monumentally epic. I always fall for large-scopes, be it in TV, movies, books, or programming projects. Things that are conceptually big always feel more exciting!

• @da Doctah said:

I'd be interested in your take on Journey to the West.

1) Obviously everybody's interested in my opinion on everything, duh.

2) As I posted above, all I read now is histories.

@da Doctah said:

Ostensibly about a monk retrieving a set of sacred texts, the bulk of it is taken up with a digression into the adventures of his secondary characters.

Sounds like The Life and Opinions of Tristram Shandy, Gentleman. Ostensibly a biography of Tristram Shandy, the author gets so distracted and derailed that it doesn't even cover his birth until the third volume.

• @Xyro said:

My only complain is the nested quoting. You'll have paragraphs describing a scene, and then a character starts telling a story, and you get paragraphs describing a scene, and then in that story another character starts talking. I remember this happening a lot at Agent Smith's hangout. I frequently got confused with who was talking, and who was talking about talking, and who was describing, or if we were at top-level narration. I'd be like, finally! End quote! We're back to the story! and then a page or two later, there's another end quote! Noooooo!! Who was doing the talking all this time??

I don't remember that, but I probably didn't have much trouble with it (I have a deep stack). However, I probably would have been annoyed by nested quotes because it's such sloppy, self-indulgent writing. I think that's another gripe: Tolkein seems to really think his readers are going to love having every aspect of the fictional world his aspie mind created explained to them. Tolkein was pretty anti-modernism, so maybe he felt it was more important for people to wile away their days reading descriptions of grass, but the modern world won and I don't have time to read prosaic, self-indulgent nonsense. That dog don't hunt.

@Xyro said:

I always fall for large-scopes, be it in TV, movies, books, or programming projects. Things that are conceptually big always feel more exciting!

The thing is, the movies feel "epic" (as in important, having a large scope). The books felt very tiny. What is Middle Earth? Why should I care about it? As far as I can tell, Sauron is just some local bully madman harassing the gentle forest creatures, like a rich man's Gargamel. (I know it was explained as being very important, but it didn't feel very important to me.)

• @morbiuswilters said:

To me, Dexter is clearly murder porn for sociopaths.

Ok so why did you stop watching? You're like, the perfect demographic.

• @morbiuswilters said:

the LOTR books

I hated the books as well.

Read the Hobbit and it was cool.

Read the Silmarillion and it was awesome.

Read Unfinished Tales and they were awesome.

I struggle to understand why then the LOTR books are so dull, and why everybody likes them, to the point where nobody actually knows about the other stuff.

• @morbiuswilters said:

murder porn for sociopaths

So you think it is really good?
    @morbiuswilters said:
    he end of the 4th season is utter shit.

We could make a law about this
    Length of Tv series inversely proportional to quality of ending or something like that
    @morbiuswilters said:
    I couldn't keep Merry and Pippin straight

I always had my suspicion that they weren't
    @morbiuswilters said:
    Then there was an egregiously long section of hobbit songs

I watched the animated version so everytime one of those section came I just played thel song in my head.

Anyways, thanks for your opinion, it is interesting seeing it through your POV. I agree that as novels they aren't that great and that the guy tried to hard to make a superdetailed world that he failed somehow to make it accesible however I still like the book and admire the sheer ammount of effort and imagination put into it. Some of the unfinished stories I loved because I got to see the drafts and rewrites because one of my hobbies is writing. The Silmarillion was an interesting read as well and way better than LOTR.

@da Doctah said:

I'd be interested in your take on Journey to the West. Ostensibly about a monk retrieving a set of sacred texts, the bulk of it is taken up with a digression into the adventures of his secondary characters

That is why people watch Saiyuki instead ;)

@da Doctah said:

Sort of like if you inserted sixteen hours of Wookiee history into the middle of The Empire Strikes Back.

They kind of did that in the Extended Universe.

@morbiuswilters said:

As far as I can tell, Sauron is just some local bully madman harassing the gentle forest creatures

On the large scale of things... yeah pretty much

@dhromed said:

nobody actually knows about the other stuff

+1
    That is the real tragedy

• @dhromed said:

@morbiuswilters said:

Same reason doctors don't watch House and lawyers don't watch legal dramas.

• @serguey123 said:

@morbiuswilters said:

Oh no, serguey tried the veal!!

• @serguey123 said:

@morbiuswilters said:
    he end of the 4th season is utter shit.
    We could make a law about this Length of Tv series inversely proportional to quality of ending or something like that

With Star Trek: TNG as the exception that proves the rule?

• @morbiuswilters said:

@dhromed said:

@morbiuswilters said:

Yet sci-fi geeks love to watch Big Bang Theory

• @morbiuswilters said:

oooh good point!

• ♿ (Parody)

@morbiuswilters said:

The characters didn't seem particularly developed. Maybe it's just me, but I couldn't keep Merry and Pippin straight.

Well, I definitely feel that the characters are pretty well developed. The first time reading through, though, I couldn't keep Sauron and Saruman straight. I had a similar experience with all of the Russian names in War and Peace.

@morbiuswilters said:

The level of detail really seems to detract from the plot (or lack thereof). You spend so much time cataloging and organizing your understanding of Middle Earth that the plot almost feels secondary.

@morbiuswilters said:
    The thing is, the movies feel "epic" (as in important, having a large scope). The books felt very tiny. What is Middle Earth? Why should I care about it? As far as I can tell, Sauron is just some local bully madman harassing the gentle forest creatures, like a rich man's Gargamel. (I know it was explained as being very important, but it didn't feel very important to me.)

I cannot reconcile these two statements. The geography and the songs and everything else makes the world seem so much more than the tiny glimpse you get in the movies. Now, it's the sort of book that you really only scratch the surface of in just one reading. That's obviously not for everyone, which is OK.

• @morbiuswilters said:

@serguey123 said:
    @morbiuswilters said:

Oh no, serguey tried the veal!!

More Godfather's references?

• @Anketam said:

@morbiuswilters said:

@dhromed said:

@morbiuswilters said:

Yet sci-fi geeks love to watch Big Bang Theory

I don't know any who do; it's a pretty awful show.