Facebook invents a new day in April



  • I was looking at Facebook's Statement of Rights and Responsibilities and noticed they had added a new day in April (I refuse to believe it's a Roman numeral notation).

    [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/jp2hV.png[/IMG]



  • Obviously algebra, therefore x^2.



  • Nobody ever gets to call one of my WTFs lame ever again.



  • Beware of super fighting robots!



  • @blakeyrat said:

    Nobody ever gets to call one of my WTFs lame ever again.

    That depends whether we're using an absolute or relative scale of WTF-yness, surely. Or was that just an order unrelated to the original post?



  • @blakeyrat said:

    Nobody ever gets to call one of my WTFs lame ever again.
    And nobody puts Baby in a corner!



  • @da Doctah said:

    @blakeyrat said:

    Nobody ever gets to call one of my WTFs lame ever again.
    And nobody puts Baby in a corner!

    And no wire hangers! What are wire hangers doing in this closet when I told you no wire hangers ever!?



  • Didn't they teach you Roman numerals in grade school?



  • @barfoo said:

    Didn't they teach you Roman numerals in grade school?
    Didn't they teach you to read the OP before posting a comment?



  • TRWTF is you for apparently reading neither Section 14 nor the resources at the end of the document that help you understand how Facebook works.



  • @da Doctah said:

    @barfoo said:

    Didn't they teach you Roman numerals in grade school?
    Didn't they teach you to read the OP before posting a comment?

     

    If only they taught that in school.

     



  • @barfoo said:

    Didn't they teach you Roman numerals in grade school?

    Yes, but in hindsight it was a frivolous waste of taxpayer money.


    Come to think of it, that's what the school system said about my entire education.



  • Yeah, but the xxx version will be much more explicit!



  • XX Files: I refuse to believe



  • @Kittemon said:

    TRWTF is you for apparently reading neither Section 14 nor the resources at the end of the document that help you understand how Facebook works.

    Mission Acomplished!



  • @serguey123 said:

    @Kittemon said:
    TRWTF is you for apparently reading neither Section 14 nor the resources at the end of the document that help you understand how Facebook works.

    Mission Acomplished!

    Section 14 is that secret intelligence force in Star Trek: DS9, right?



  • @blakeyrat said:

    @da Doctah said:

    @blakeyrat said:

    Nobody ever gets to call one of my WTFs lame ever again.
    And nobody puts Baby in a corner!

    And no wire hangers! What are wire hangers doing in this closet when I told you no wire hangers ever!?

    Everytime I think I've put that movie out of my mind, some asshat has to do this 'line' and remind me of it.

    Thanks.



  • @zelmak said:

    @blakeyrat said:

    @da Doctah said:

    @blakeyrat said:

    Nobody ever gets to call one of my WTFs lame ever again.
    And nobody puts Baby in a corner!

    And no wire hangers! What are wire hangers doing in this closet when I told you no wire hangers ever!?

    Everytime I think I've put that movie out of my mind, some asshat has to do this 'line' and remind me of it.

    Thanks.

    That is the best line read in motion picture history. Way ahead of Pulp Fiction's "Any of you fucking pricks move, and I'll execute every motherfucking last one of ya!" and Flash Gordon's "Gordon's alive!"

    Still not as good as "they call me MISTER TIBBS!" though.



  • @blakeyrat said:

    @serguey123 said:
    @Kittemon said:
    TRWTF is you for apparently reading neither Section 14 nor the resources at the end of the document that help you understand how Facebook works.

    Mission Acomplished!

    Section 14 is that secret intelligence force in Star Trek: DS9, right?

    No, that was the Tal Shiar.



  • @morbiuswilters said:

    No, that was the Tal Shiar.

    It was totally Section 31. Totally. Turn in your communicator badge and get in line to get a girlfriend, you are kicked out of Star Trek fandom!



  • @blakeyrat said:

    @morbiuswilters said:
    No, that was the Tal Shiar.

    It was totally Section 31. Totally. Turn in your communicator badge and get in line to get a girlfriend, you are kicked out of Star Trek fandom!


    You nerds are funny



  • @blakeyrat said:

    @morbiuswilters said:
    No, that was the Tal Shiar.

    It was totally Section 31. Totally. Turn in your communicator badge and get in line to get a girlfriend, you are kicked out of Star Trek fandom!

     

    Damn straight. The Tal Shiar are the secret alien society from Stargate.



  • @blakeyrat said:

    @morbiuswilters said:
    No, that was the Tal Shiar.

    It was totally Section 31. Totally. Turn in your communicator badge and get in line to get a girlfriend, you are kicked out of Star Trek fandom!

    Naw, I was just trolling you. This Red Squad cadet is still safely celibate!



  • @serguey123 said:

    @blakeyrat said:
    @morbiuswilters said:
    No, that was the Tal Shiar.

    It was totally Section 31. Totally. Turn in your communicator badge and get in line to get a girlfriend, you are kicked out of Star Trek fandom!


    You nerds are funny

    Unfortunately we don't have dissident mass graves to hang out at like in your country so we have to invent our own entertainment. It sucks, I'd prefer a mountain of skulls to climb around on, but I'll take what I can get.



  • @morbiuswilters said:

    Unfortunately we don't have dissident mass graves to hang out at like in your country

    I don't recall any, at least in the last 100 years, unfortunately our dissidents are very much alive and being all dissidenty much to our disappointment. On hindsight they do make some mildly interesting talk shows that we don't watch because of the thought police so keeping them alive makes more sense at least in the entertainment area if not for us (who censor the censors?).@morbiuswilters said:

    we have to invent our own entertainment

    *childhood memories flood in
    @morbiuswilters said:
    I'd prefer a mountain of skulls to climb around on

    *inner child thinks that is awesome while outer adult becomes outraged (also secretly thinks that is awesome and is vaguely aroused by the imagery)



  • @serguey123 said:

    ...unfortunately our dissidents are very much alive and being all dissidenty much to our disappointment.

    Yeah, ours too. Wow, it's almost like you live in Schenectady, NY!

    @serguey123 said:

    outer adult becomes outraged (also secretly thinks that is awesome and is vaguely aroused by the imagery)

    So you are outraged at yourself for being aroused?



  • @morbiuswilters said:

    Yeah, ours too. Wow, it's almost like you live in Schenectady, NY!

    Nahh, the problem is that your dissidents are our dissidents, we have been outsourcing them.
    @morbiuswilters said:
    So you are outraged at yourself for being aroused?

    Pretty much, that is like 99% of what religion is about



  • Actually, the Tal Shiar are in DS9--they're the Romulan secret agency. Section 31 (which actually does have a tie to the number 14--it's authorized by Art. 14 §31 of the Starfleet charter) is the Federation one. Others known are the Obsidian Order (Cardassia) and the V'Shar (Vulcan).



  • @silverpie said:

    Actually, the Tal Shiar are in DS9--they're the Romulan secret agency. Section 31 (which actually does have a tie to the number 14--it's authorized by Art. 14 §31 of the Starfleet charter) is the Federation one. Others known are the Obsidian Order (Cardassia) and the V'Shar (Vulcan).

    Every time I try to troll people by acting like a pathetic nerd, someone comes along and one-ups me.


    I do think the reason DS9 is so good compared to the mediocre TOS and TNG is because Roddenberry was dead and couldn't interfere with his silly little diktats.



  • @morbiuswilters said:

    I do think the reason DS9 is so good compared to the mediocre TOS and TNG is because Roddenberry was dead and couldn't interfere with his silly little diktats.
     

    That doesn't explain Voyager and Enterprise.



  • @morbiuswilters said:

    I do think the reason DS9 is so good compared to the mediocre TOS and TNG is because Roddenberry was dead and couldn't interfere with his silly little diktats.

    Fuck yeah. People joke that Star Trek got good when "Riker grew the beard", but the fact is Star Trek got good the instant Roddenberry was no longer involved in its production.

    Roddenberry was the guy responsible for having little kids on TNG, and the one episode where they used that conceit to tell a good story (Picard leading a group of children up a elevator shaft) doesn't make up for the 834 times people were yelling at the screen, "RIKER YOU DUMB FUCK! Why are you shooting at Romulans! There's a FUCKING DAYCARE full of TWO-YEAR-OLDS one floor down!"*

    I mean, there were kids on DS9 too, but at least:
    1) there were only a few (barely enough to fill a single classroom-- yes the mile-wide space station had fewer kids than the significantly smaller starship)
    2) DS9 was technically a civilian establishment and never originally meant to be a military outpost

    All other Star Trek shows? NO KIDS. As it should be. Hell, even SeaQuest: DSV, a shitty show which ripped-off the Star Trek: TNG setting almost 100%, was smart enough to leave the kids OUT.

    *) plus the one good example could easily have been written as having the kids visiting the Enterprise during a slow, safe, boring trip (as was established, hell Troi was on the bridge) as a educational opportunity, and it would have been just as good. The fact that the kids lived on the ship had no real bearing to the events in the episode.



  • @dhromed said:

    That doesn't explain Voyager and Enterprise.

    Voyager had spastic quality*, but I think even the worst Voyager season was on-par with the TNG season Roddenberry was involved heavily with.

    Enterprise started good, and I personally think most of its flaws were due more to executive meddling than any problem with the show's writers. (The whole "temporal cold war?" Executive meddling. The whole "Xindi attack Earth" plot? Executive meddling. The stupid episode where T'Pol gets "space AIDS"? Executive meddling.)

    Then season 4 came along and they just fucking gave up in spectacular fashion-- "let's do an episode where we bring back every trope from TOS! Including the evil mirror universe, the Gorn monster, and the old-school TOS ship all in one 2-parter episode!" "let's do an episode where a Bond supervillain flies a mining colony on the moon to Mars, then tries to blow the shit out of Earth using a communication laser unless Earth promises to kick out all the aliens!"**

    Then the series finale of Enterprise was the worst Star Trek-related thing ever filmed, and that includes the Voyager episode "Threshold"***.

    *) "spastic" meaning they'd have a season of 20 awful episodes, 2 good ones, and 2 blow-you-out-of-the-water good ones coming in out of nowhere. The 2 blow-you-out-of-the-water good episodes never had anything to do with the terrible running plots about the Kaizon or Borg or Hirogen or whatever lame-ass running plot they were doing that season.

    **) That. Really. Happened.

    ***) "Threshold" being the only Star Trek episode so awful that it was ret-conned only a few episodes after it aired. Paris: "warp 10? I've never gone warp 10."

    I OUT-NERD YOU ALL!



  • @morbiuswilters said:

    I do think the reason DS9 is so good compared to the mediocre TOS and TNG is because Roddenberry was dead and couldn't interfere with his silly little diktats.
    I disagree.  The reason DS9 was so good was because it had Chase Masterson as Leeta.



  • @blakeyrat said:

    ***) "Threshold" being the only Star Trek episode so awful that it was ret-conned only a few episodes after it aired. Paris: "warp 10? I've never gone warp 10."

    That's the only Voyager episode I remember and I loved it. Lizard babies? Brilliant.



  • @da Doctah said:

    The reason DS9 was so good was because it had Chase Masterson as Leeta.

    You may be right about this.

    @da Doctah said:

    Filed under: All right--I thought James Darren's self-aware holodeck lounge singer character was a neat idea too.

    That was one of the worst parts. It's a tie between that and "Oh Christ, not another Ferengi episode.." for worst recurring theme. Without that crap they could have finished it up in 6 seasons and wouldn't have had to deal with Terry Farrell leaving (nor the awful way they brought "her" back..)



  • @morbiuswilters said:

    @blakeyrat said:
    ***) "Threshold" being the only Star Trek episode so awful that it was ret-conned only a few episodes after it aired. Paris: "warp 10? I've never gone warp 10."

    That's the only Voyager episode I remember and I loved it. Lizard babies? Brilliant.

    If you go into that episode with the right mindset, it's hilarious.



  • @blakeyrat said:

    @dhromed said:
    That doesn't explain Voyager and Enterprise.

    Voyager had spastic quality*, but I think even the worst Voyager season was on-par with the TNG season Roddenberry was involved heavily with.

    Enterprise started good, and I personally think most of its flaws were due more to executive meddling than any problem with the show's writers. (The whole "temporal cold war?" Executive meddling. The whole "Xindi attack Earth" plot? Executive meddling. The stupid episode where T'Pol gets "space AIDS"? Executive meddling.)

    Then season 4 came along and they just fucking gave up in spectacular fashion-- "let's do an episode where we bring back every trope from TOS! Including the evil mirror universe, the Gorn monster, and the old-school TOS ship all in one 2-parter episode!" "let's do an episode where a Bond supervillain flies a mining colony on the moon to Mars, then tries to blow the shit out of Earth using a communication laser unless Earth promises to kick out all the aliens!"**

    Then the series finale of Enterprise was the worst Star Trek-related thing ever filmed, and that includes the Voyager episode "Threshold"***.

    *) "spastic" meaning they'd have a season of 20 awful episodes, 2 good ones, and 2 blow-you-out-of-the-water good ones coming in out of nowhere. The 2 blow-you-out-of-the-water good episodes never had anything to do with the terrible running plots about the Kaizon or Borg or Hirogen or whatever lame-ass running plot they were doing that season.

    **) That. Really. Happened.

    ***) "Threshold" being the only Star Trek episode so awful that it was ret-conned only a few episodes after it aired. Paris: "warp 10? I've never gone warp 10."

    I OUT-NERD YOU ALL!

    Google tells me that your post is spam.


  •  I don't even really remember the virus monsters.



  • @blakeyrat said:

    Voyager had spastic quality*,
     

    Yes.

     



  • I both loved and hated Voyager.  During the first episode I wondered why they did not plant some timed demolitions use the device to get back and then let the timed boom do its thing.



  • @Anketam said:

    I both loved and hated Voyager. During the first episode I wondered why they did not plant some timed demolitions use the device to get back and then let the timed boom do its thing.

    Because they were under attack by like 5 ships, they just lost half their crew and replaced them with a crew that was unfamiliar with the ship and how Starfleet operates, and the space station took hours to recharge. That was not a WTF. Edit: Oh, and the only reason the space station wasn't already kablooey is that one of the Kazon ships rammed it-- the Caretaker had already set the self-destruct before the Voyager crew left.

    What IS a WTF is that while Voyager had no choice but to blow the space station and run, dialog in later episodes makes it sound like they did. One of the huge sources of WTFs for Voyager is that the writers didn't watch their own show. Which is one of the reasons the quality is so spastic.



  • @blakeyrat said:

    @Anketam said:
    I both loved and hated Voyager. During the first episode I wondered why they did not plant some timed demolitions use the device to get back and then let the timed boom do its thing.

    Because they were under attack by like 5 ships, they just lost half their crew and replaced them with a crew that was unfamiliar with the ship and how Starfleet operates, and the space station took hours to recharge. That was not a WTF. Edit: Oh, and the only reason the space station wasn't already kablooey is that one of the Kazon ships rammed it-- the Caretaker had already set the self-destruct before the Voyager crew left.

    What IS a WTF is that while Voyager had no choice but to blow the space station and run, dialog in later episodes makes it sound like they did. One of the huge sources of WTFs for Voyager is that the writers didn't watch their own show. Which is one of the reasons the quality is so spastic.

    That is a recipe for success in any other episode.  The lower their shields are, the more exploding panels, the more dead red (eh... yellow) shirts, the more likely they are able to pull out an impossible solution.  In this case all they had to do was reverse the polarity of some piece of equipment on the ship (like the deflector dish) do some button smash on a console on the space station and they could have been sent back to the alpha quadrant in no time flat.  It would have been less far fetched than some of the other crazy stuff they have done.



  • The virus monsters were awesome. (In a campy sort of way...) When else do you get to see Janeway go Sigourney Weaver on some creepy critters? (I thought she fought them with a phaser rifle, not a knife...)

    Oh, and remember the one episode where the ship gets attacked by space parasites that drain the warp core of energy? Maybe I was imagining things but I thought Paris said something about "man, flying the ship with these things all over it is harder than flying in a Tourian ice storm!" Hmm, a Tourian ice storm... there are certain other space parasites that drain energy that are found in Tourian, and they happen to be vulnerable to ice... :P

    And come to think of it, the virus monsters were sorta like metroids too... ;)



  • @ekolis said:

    (I thought she fought them with a phaser rifle, not a knife...)

    She started with a rifle, but she definitely lost it at one point and had a knife fight. I remember this clearly, because of course I do.

    @ekolis said:

    Maybe I was imagining things but I thought Paris said something about "man, flying the ship with these things all over it is harder than flying in a Tourian ice storm!" Hmm, a Tourian ice storm... there are certain other space parasites that drain energy that are found in Tourian, and they happen to be vulnerable to ice... :P

    And come to think of it, the virus monsters were sorta like metroids too... ;)

    I have no fucking clue what you're talking about. Go back to knife-fighting giant viruses.



  • @blakeyrat said:

    I have no fucking clue what you're talking about. Go back to knife-fighting giant viruses.

    I think he's saying he appreciates that Voyager made a reference to Metroid. I never understood why nerds are always impressed when some work can name-drop a better work; it's like when I try shouting Mandingo's name during sex.



  • My personal favorite voyager episodes were the ones featuring Q (and specially the one with Q jr).



  • @morbiuswilters said:

    I think he's saying he appreciates that Voyager made a reference to Metroid.

    I've played Metroid and I don't remember a "Turian ice storm". Whatever.

    I have to admit I was impressed when MST3K made a Parappa the Rapper riff, since it's a pretty obscure game and they'd never riffed on a video game theme before. Well they name-dropped Doom once "this movie is like playing Doom with no weapons or monsters". And they made fun of an actor who looked like Mario once. But that's it.



  • @blakeyrat said:

    I have to admit I was impressed when MST3K made a Parappa the Rapper riff, since it's a pretty obscure game and they'd never riffed on a video game theme before. Well they name-dropped Doom once "this movie is like playing Doom with no weapons or monsters". And they made fun of an actor who looked like Mario once. But that's it.

    Yeah, but MST3K is pop culture commentary, so referencing other works is what they do. What I don't understand are the people who get all hot-and-bothered because some sci-fi movie made an obscure reference to comic books, or whatever. It's pure, whoreish pandering; it's not like it takes any skill to insert a Metroid joke into an episode of Voyager, it just requires that you know something about Metroid and can contrive some situation to mention it. I think fans just like it because it makes them feel smart "Oh, hey, I recognize that reference!"



  • @morbiuswilters said:

    It's a tie between that and "Oh Christ, not another Ferengi episode.." for worst recurring theme. Without that crap they could have finished it up in 6 seasons and wouldn't have had to deal with Terry Farrell leaving (nor the awful way they brought "her" back..)

    I liked those Ferengi episodes; they were campy, fun, and usually made sense. For as comical as the Ferengi were, their society was at least internally logical, unlike the otherwise much cooler Klingons. (How did Klingons ever settle down to invent space technology??)

    Also, while Jadzia's on-screen death was pretty pathetic, Dax's return also made complete sense. The Dax symbiote was always part of the story, and the passing on of the symbiote was explained numerous times. I can't think of a better way to resurrect a character. ... Maybe Timelord regeneration.



  • @morbiuswilters said:

    I think fans just like it because it makes them feel smart "Oh, hey, I recognize that reference!"

    Isn't that the whole MO of Family Guy?


Log in to reply
 

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.