Clerks (administration workers) and documents

• @blakeyrat said:

@ASheridan said:
    I don't think everyone should have to use the same IDE. Some people will always prefer one over the other, but as long as it doesnt have a detrimental effect on your job, does it really matter?

Everybody on a particular project should use the same IDE, otherwise project files become useless.

The problem isn't that we're trying to limit choice, the problem is that there's only a precious few IDEs that don't suck shit. You know what I'd really like to see? Someone re-write NetBeans in a non-Java language, fix all of the stupid bugs (even just the 5-6 bugs that make it a deal-breaker for me), and COMPETE with Visual Studio on merit. Instead of just on, "oh well NetBeans can do Java and VS can't." I'd love nothing more than to see 4-5 really stellar IDEs all competing with each other in an active marketplace.

But that's never going to happen as long as idiots keep coming around and saying, "eh, NetBeans is good enough."

OK, now I'm probably be going to show some ignorance here, but what kinds of project files would need to be shared? Where I work, we keep the code in SVN, and have local copies on our own machines, so we never need to share project files, and we all use a variety of editors and IDEs. I'm not saying it's not a problem, just that it's not something I've personally had a problem with.

• ♿ (Parody)

@ASheridan said:

OK, now I'm probably be going to show some ignorance here, but what kinds of project files would need to be shared? Where I work, we keep the code in SVN, and have local copies on our own machines, so we never need to share project files, and we all use a variety of editors and IDEs. I'm not saying it's not a problem, just that it's not something I've personally had a problem with.

I think it varies wildly depending on the language, etc, that you use. VS stores all sorts of stuff in the project file, IIRC, like compiler options, different build configurations, etc. In that sense, it's roughly equivalent to, say a full set of autoconf scripts. But if you use a different IDE, VS's project file is probably useless to you. So if you're working in a language that requires that sort of thing, you'd need to build an equivalent (or at best, convert it...but I've never seen that happen very cleanly, even between different VS versions).

• @ASheridan said:

VS's deployment projects, which create installers and .msi files, store everything (paths, icons, what files get placed where) in the project file IIRC.

• @lettucemode said:

@ASheridan said:

VS's deployment projects, which create installers and .msi files, store everything (paths, icons, what files get placed where) in the project file IIRC.

Ah, I just assumed that would become part of the stuff that got chucked into SVN too. I know we shouldn't use SVN for binary files, but disk space is cheap and it's easy to let that sort out versioning stuff.

• ♿ (Parody)

@ASheridan said:

@lettucemode said:
    @ASheridan said:

Ah, I just assumed that would become part of the stuff that got chucked into SVN too. I know we shouldn't use SVN for binary files, but disk space is cheap and it's easy to let that sort out versioning stuff.

What? I didn't see anything in lettucemode's post that said you wouldn't put that stuff in SVN. But if your team used different IDEs, then you'd end up with multiple versions of all that to make it work with everyone's IDE, which is why you'd want to stay with a particular IDE for a particular project.

• @ASheridan said:

They don't need to, the editing part is exactly the same.

They don't know that.

• @boomzilla said:

@ASheridan said:
    @lettucemode said:
    @ASheridan said:

What? I didn't see anything in lettucemode's post that said you wouldn't put that stuff in SVN. But if your team used different IDEs, then you'd end up with multiple versions of all that to make it work with everyone's IDE, which is why you'd want to stay with a particular IDE for a particular project.

Yeah, I missed the point, sorry.

• @dhromed said:

@ASheridan said:

They don't know that.

The WTF is how can they not? Pretty much all software uses the same icons for bold, italic and underlined text, ditto for the paste button, etc. Sorry, but I don't see plain stupidity on their part as being an excuse. It's not just a matter of missing something that isn't obvious until you've been shown it at least once, it's the exact same thing but in a different program. If they really can't grasp that, then they shouldn't be anywhere near a computer.

• What smells like shoe polish?

• @ASheridan said:

I said nothing about my sister having to manipulate the image, so you just made that up and brought it in all by yourself.

Excuse me, I thought we were trying to discuss generalities of UI design, not Boring Stories About ASheridan's Sister. Regardless, people often think of using Word because they want to resize the image (which is the manipulation I was talking about). Since people know that works in Word, they're going to do what they know works. It's very sensible on their part. Who cares if Outlooks uses Word? The users don't know that. They aren't sitting there thinking "Okay, I can do this in Outlook because it behaves the same as Word." Also, not everybody uses Outlook.

@ASheridan said:

Well done for being a complete fucking moron

Man, you are such a crybaby.

• @blakeyrat said:

Everybody on a particular project should use the same IDE, otherwise project files become useless.

For the languages I've worked heavily with (Java, PHP, JS) there isn't much to the project files. In fact, you can't really share project files in Eclipse because a bunch of preferences and paths end up hard-coded. You can hand-edit the files to make the paths relative which fixes the problem, but as soon as Eclipse tries to re-generate the project files it will change the paths back to absolute ones specific to that machine. So for the case I was talking about, I really can't see any benefit. I think the reason they're pushing Eclipse is because we have a number of off-shore developers who can't manage to get their tab formatting consistent (our spec says 4 spaces, no tabs). shrug So far, I'm the only person in the company who has always followed the agreed-upon coding standards 100% of the time.

@blakeyrat said:

The problem isn't that we're trying to limit choice, the problem is that there's only a precious few IDEs that don't suck shit. You know what I'd really like to see? Someone re-write NetBeans in a non-Java language, fix all of the stupid bugs (even just the 5-6 bugs that make it a deal-breaker for me), and COMPETE with Visual Studio on merit. Instead of just on, "oh well NetBeans can do Java and VS can't." I'd love nothing more than to see 4-5 really stellar IDEs all competing with each other in an active marketplace.

But that's never going to happen as long as idiots keep coming around and saying, "eh, NetBeans is good enough."

Agreed. And if there was a FOSS IDE that didn't suck shit, I'd probably migrate to using it. I'd really prefer something lightweight, fast and stable; Eclipse and NetBeans don't fit the bill. I'm actually considering buying VS and running it in a VM; the PHP support in VS actually isn't half-bad.

• @frits said:

What smells like shoe polish?

Sorry, thought I washed all of the blackface off..

• @morbiuswilters said:

@frits said:

Wait- are you Nagesh?

• @frits said:

@morbiuswilters said:

@frits said:

Wait- are you Nagesh?

Nagesh isn't black. He's a dumb white guy pretending to be a dumber Indian guy.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@frits said:

Nail polish after you've fluffed your lines?

•  This used to be such a nice thread before Morbs: The Living Forum Cancer showed up.

• @Zylon said:

This used to be such a nice thread before Morbs: The Living Forum Cancer showed up.

If you don't like it, don't read it. Don't pollute the thread with your bitchy personal attacks.

• ♿ (Parody)

@morbiuswilters said:

@Zylon said:
    This used to be such a nice thread before Morbs: The Living Forum Cancer showed up.

If you don't like it, don't read it. Don't pollute the thread with your bitchy personal attacks.

I think it's at least good form to cross post your indignant tweet about how we should be curing GUI-induced eyeball cancer instead of engaging in deep discussion frivolous trolling and flaming.

• @boomzilla said:

@morbiuswilters said:
    @Zylon said:

I think it's at least good form to cross post your indignant tweet about how we should be curing GUI-induced eyeball cancer instead of engaging in deep discussion frivolous trolling and flaming.

I don't like Twitter; I only created one so I could troll the dumb hippies who were protesting Georgia executing that guy who killed that other guy. And, really, it was much more effective and satisfying to troll the Facebook memorial page set up by his family.

• @blakeyrat said:

Between the Java language being about as powerful as a wet noodle compared to things like C# or even Python, the saddest thing for me about the entire Java landscape is the fact that the best Java IDE I ever used was Visual J++. It's almost like Microsoft looked at Java, saw that all it's dev tools sucked ass, and tried to, you know, make something that didn't. It's too bad Sun got a stick up their ass about the additions MS made in their Java VM to make the language suck a little bit less. You know, like that crazy idea to add properties to Java, or a sane form of interop, or my favourite part, which was the WFC that actually let Java do this insane thing which actually allowed it to look like a fucking windows application, rather than some school project splattered into a window using non-standard UI elements that always draw the same regardless of OS and thus never match the running system. I've always felt that the Microsoft having any sort of "monopoly" is as much the fault of every other vendor sucking ass at making software as it is anything else. Netscape being a good example. 

On the other hand, Sun did go on to become an extremely successful.... oh wait, they got eaten by Oracle, right. So I guess that proves that companies that get a stick up their ass are going to end up with splinters, or some equally colourful metaphor.

• I tried Netbeans, after spending a day setting it all up and configuring it, I played with 6.9 for a while. Some things were ok, others a bit crap.

Then Netbeans 7 came out and fucked everything up. It complained about all of my projects and refused to build them.

Eventually, I just went back to Visual Studio + Visual Assist, as I always seem to do.

• @ASheridan said:

@dhromed said:
    @ASheridan said:
    They don't know that.

The WTF is how can they not? Pretty much all software uses the same icons for bold, italic and underlined text, ditto for the paste button, etc. Sorry, but I don't see plain stupidity on their part as being an excuse. It's not just a matter of missing something that isn't obvious until you've been shown it at least once,
    This goes back to earlier comments about lack of intellectual curiosity.  To anyone who possesses the tiniest amount of intellectual curiosity it quickly becomes obvious -- "Hey, this program can copy and paste and make text bold just like that other one". @ASheridan said:
    it's the exact same thing but in a different program.  If they really can't grasp that, then they shouldn't be anywhere near a computer.
    It's not that they can't grasp it -- the problem is that the thought never enters their brain in the first place.  They never make the connection that it's the exact same thing but in a different program, until someone specifically explains it to them.  And even then, they won't always "get it" -- not so much because they are stupid but more because they are intellectually lazy.   When a person completely lacks the slightest bit of intellectual curiosity (sadly a very large portion of society) they don't see themselves as "using a computer", they simply see themselves as "typing a letter" or "sending an email" and that big row of icons is just a lot of "computer stuff" that is only understood by "computer guys".

• Isn't the real WTF converting a word document to PDF just for the sake of doing it, when all you actually need to do is print the thing out, sign it, and send it back ? This IS for a lawyer, he's going to want a hand-signed hardcopy anyway.

Why would you need a document to be in a PORTABLE document format, when it's a personal document that only YOU need anyway ?

• @morbiuswilters said:

I don't like Twitter; I only created one so I could troll the dumb hippies who were protesting Georgia executing that guy who killed that other guy. And, really, it was much more effective and satisfying to troll the Facebook memorial page set up by his family.
    You are one cold-hearted son of a bitch.  The family had nothing to do with his actions.  Words escape me . . . that is just plain wrong, pure and simple.  How dare you.

• @daveime said:

Isn't the real WTF converting a word document to PDF just for the sake of doing it, when all you actually need to do is print the thing out, sign it, and send it back ? This IS for a lawyer, he's going to want a hand-signed hardcopy anyway.

Why would you need a document to be in a PORTABLE document format, when it's a personal document that only YOU need anyway ?

The only printer I've got at home is connected to a mac. Have you ever tried to open .doc on mac?

• @SEMI-HYBRID code said:

The only printer I've got at home is connected to a mac. Have you ever tried to open .doc on mac?

Is this question sort of like asking, "have you ever tried to eat water"?

• @El_Heffe said:

To anyone who possesses the tiniest amount of intellectual curiosity it quickly becomes obvious -- "Hey, this program can copy and paste and make text bold just like that other one".
    Damn.  You just reminded me of the first version of Wordpad, which could do all the formatting the casual user wanted in a tiny fraction of the space Word required, with the single exception that there was no way to force a page break at a specific place.

• @daveime said:

Isn't the real WTF converting a word document to PDF just for the sake of doing it, when all you actually need to do is print the thing out, sign it, and send it back ?

PDF files aren't something most users can edit. They open it, read it, and print it. With a Word .doc, all you need is a schmuck to decide the margins are wrong and suddenly the contract is missing words, or who auto-runs a spell-check and changes words, and there's a potential fight down the road.

@daveime said:

This IS for a lawyer, he's going to want a hand-signed hardcopy anyway.

Not always. I remember a few low-cost service agreements and lease amendments from my days dealing with them that didn't require reciept of the original executed copy. They came with a beefier faxsimile clause instead. 

• @BC_Programmer said:

@SEMI-HYBRID code said:

yes.
    (hint: even original Office for Mac fucks up most of the documents that were created in original Office on PC)

• @nonpartisan said:

You are one cold-hearted son of a bitch.

How did you know I keep my human hearts in the fridge? Have you been spying on me??

@nonpartisan said:

The family had nothing to do with his actions.

No, but they did defend him. And lie about his actions. And say insulting things about the man he murdered.

@nonpartisan said:

How dare you.

I think this was supposed to be a question. I dare because I have a sense of morality and justice.

• @morbiuswilters said:

@nonpartisan said:
    The family had nothing to do with his actions.

No, but they did defend him. And lie about his actions. And say insulting things about the man he murdered.

That gives you zero right to invade their time of suffering.

@morbiuswilters said:

@nonpartisan said:
    How dare you.

I think this was supposed to be a question. I dare because I have a sense of morality and justice

You have your own warped sense of self-righteousness to force your ideas and opinions on others without regard to what they're going through.  You have no sense of civility and how to get along in today's society.  You act and speak with the immaturity of a child.  The part that scares me the most -- if I ask you if you would make such comments in person to the family, I believe the answer would be yes.  And I'm sure if challenged, you will wrap the first amendment around your comments.  Just because you can say something doesn't mean you should.

• @nonpartisan said:

That gives you zero right to invade their time of suffering.

You're absolutely right. Where do I get off criticizing a murderer? Shame! Shaaaaame!!

@nonpartisan said:

You have your own warped sense of self-righteousness to force your ideas and opinions on others without regard to what they're going through.

I'm sorry that you think "Murderers are bad" is an opinion only held by the warped self-righteous.

@nonpartisan said:

You act and speak with the immaturity of a child.

You act and speak with the stupidity of a stupid-head.

@nonpartisan said:

The part that scares me the most -- if I ask you if you would make such comments in person to the family, I believe the answer would be yes.

No way; they probably would have murdered me. Because they love murder and murdering and murderers.

@nonpartisan said:

And I'm sure if challenged, you will wrap the first amendment around your comments.

Nope, I'd use the Bible. Only the Old Testament, though, not the sissy-ass New Testament where God became some kind of dope-smoking hippie jackass. shudder

• @morbiuswilters said:

Nope, I'd use the Bible. Only the Old Testament, though, not the sissy-ass New Testament where God became some kind of dope-smoking hippie jackass. *shudder*

Spiteful fellow, certainly.

•  @morbiuswilters said:

@SEMI-HYBRID code said:
    @OzPeter said:
    This showed me that there are severe limits to how much effort people will put into thinking about how they do their job. They'd rather take the manually intensive long way than exploring the more intelligent simple way. I'm not sure why this is, but it is possible that it is due to a lack of curiosity - or curiosity focussed in a narrow viewpoint.
    i always had a theory that the thing which distinguishes programmers from non-programmers is their level of curiosity, and their distribution of effort - programmers prefer investing effort into thinking how to make the process/work itself as effortless as possible, while "other people" prefer not thinking when they don't have to, so they tend to invest the effort into the inneffective method. the amout of effort required might actually be the same (or larger for programmers, even) when it's a one-time process, but in the long run, with enough repetitions, we win.

I have a theory that what separates programmers from non-programmers is a completely undeserved sense of intellectual superiority.

You would be one to know.

• @SEMI-HYBRID code said:

@BC_Programmer said:

@SEMI-HYBRID code said:

yes.
    (hint: even original Office for Mac fucks up most of the documents that were created in original Office on PC)

ftfy, ime.

• :belt_onion:

@morbiuswilters said:

In fact, you can't really share project files in Eclipse because a bunch of preferences and paths end up hard-coded. You can hand-edit the files to make the paths relative which fixes the problem, but as soon as Eclipse tries to re-generate the project files it will change the paths back to absolute ones specific to that machine.

The build for the project on which I'm working automatically generates all the Eclipse projects, setting the classpaths and dependencies correctly. I don't know if that's built-in functionality with Ivy or if it's a custom Ant task (I'm guessing the latter), but it's pretty incredibly useful for making sure everyone has the same development environment.

• @morbiuswilters said:

@Zylon said:

It's not an attack, it's a diagnosis. This was a better thread before you began posting in it. You are an obnoxious, thread-shitting irritant. Apparently deliberately, so you can hardly cry about it when you get called on it.

• @dhromed said:

@morbiuswilters said:

Nope, I'd use the Bible. Only the Old Testament, though, not the sissy-ass New Testament where God became some kind of dope-smoking hippie jackass. shudder

Spiteful fellow, certainly.

The only problem with that story is that Abraham didn't go through with it. You know family dinners were really awkward after that.

• @Zylon said:

It's not an attack, it's a diagnosis. This was a better thread before you began posting in it. You are an obnoxious, thread-shitting irritant. Apparently deliberately, so you can hardly cry about it when you get called on it.

It was also a better thread before you started posting in it. If you don't have anything useful to say, shut your mouth.

• @fschmidt said:

@morbiuswilters said:

@SEMI-HYBRID code said:
    @OzPeter said:
    This showed me that there are severe limits to how much effort people will put into thinking about how they do their job. They'd rather take the manually intensive long way than exploring the more intelligent simple way. I'm not sure why this is, but it is possible that it is due to a lack of curiosity - or curiosity focussed in a narrow viewpoint.

i always had a theory that the thing which distinguishes programmers from non-programmers is their level of curiosity, and their distribution of effort - programmers prefer investing effort into thinking how to make the process/work itself as effortless as possible, while "other people" prefer not thinking when they don't have to, so they tend to invest the effort into the inneffective method. the amout of effort required might actually be the same (or larger for programmers, even) when it's a one-time process, but in the long run, with enough repetitions, we win.

I have a theory that what separates programmers from non-programmers is a completely undeserved sense of intellectual superiority.

You would be one to know.

Indeed, over half the people here seem to think that knowing how to output some text to a screen makes them smarter than all of the people who don't program for a living. It's pathetic, but most of IT is.

• @morbiuswilters said:

@Zylon said:
    It was also a better thread before you started posting in it. If you don't have anything useful to say, shut your mouth.

I see a pattern here. I think you can generalize this property to all threads are better until anyone starts posting in them.

• @heterodox said:

@morbiuswilters said:

In fact, you can't really share project files in Eclipse because a bunch of preferences and paths end up hard-coded. You can hand-edit the files to make the paths relative which fixes the problem, but as soon as Eclipse tries to re-generate the project files it will change the paths back to absolute ones specific to that machine.

The build for the project on which I'm working automatically generates all the Eclipse projects, setting the classpaths and dependencies correctly. I don't know if that's built-in functionality with Ivy or if it's a custom Ant task (I'm guessing the latter), but it's pretty incredibly useful for making sure everyone has the same development environment.

strokes chin So how do you actually determine what the build script puts into the project files? Does somebody have to use the Eclipse UI to make changes, then separate out what changed in the project files and add them to the build script?

• :belt_onion:

@morbiuswilters said:

strokes chin So how do you actually determine what the build script puts into the project files? Does somebody have to use the Eclipse UI to make changes, then separate out what changed in the project files and add them to the build script?

That's a good question; as far as I know, Ivy just automagically... does it. Obviously it's a bit of a black box to me, but I'll look into it in the morning as I'm interested too.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@nonpartisan said:

@morbiuswilters said:

@nonpartisan said:
    The family had nothing
    to do with his actions.
    No, but they did defend him. And lie about his
    actions. And say insulting things about the man he murdered.
    That gives
    you zero right to invade their time of suffering.

Coming late to this, and without knowledge of the purported crime ('cos I can't google it at the mo)... WTF?

• @PJH said:

Coming late to this, and without knowledge of the purported crime ('cos I can't google it at the mo)... WTF?
    Troy Davis is a murderer who was executed in Georgia.  Morbs finds it funny to troll Twitter and Facebook forums that are read by the family in their time of mourning.  I find it disgusting, reprehensible, and immoral.  He says the family insulted Troy Davis' victim.  I say he has no idea what is going on in the minds of the family that would cause them to make such statements.  Maybe they're assholes too.  But maybe they're reacting to the pain of their beloved family member being executed and finding a scapegoat for their pain.  Whatever the reason, Morbs has no direct involvement.  As a moral human being, he'd leave the family alone.  But he is not a moral human being.

• @nonpartisan said:

@PJH said:
    Troy Davis is a murderer who was executed in Georgia.  Morbs finds it funny to troll Twitter and Facebook forums that are read by the family in their time of mourning.  I find it disgusting, reprehensible, and immoral.  He says the family insulted Troy Davis' victim.  I say he has no idea what is going on in the minds of the family that would cause them to make such statements.  Maybe they're assholes too.  But maybe they're reacting to the pain of their beloved family member being executed and finding a scapegoat for their pain.  Whatever the reason, Morbs has no direct involvement.  As a moral human being, he'd leave the family alone.  But he is not a moral human being.
    Creating a memorial for a person who had done evil does not make much sense to me in the first place.  Memorials should only exist for victims and great people, aka people that should be remembered.  Is it any wonder that people will treat a memorial for a murderer like trash?

• Memorials are a waste of space and taxpayer money, no matter what they are for and boy, are they ugly

• @Anketam said:

@nonpartisan said:

@PJH said:
    Creating a memorial for a person who had done evil does not make much sense to me in the first place.  Memorials should only exist for victims and great people, aka people that should be remembered.  Is it any wonder that people will treat a memorial for a murderer like trash?

Not saying that Troy Davis was a pillar of his community. Not arguing whether Troy Davis deserved a memorial or not. At the end there was a question about Mr. Davis' guilt, but Morbs has an answer for that too. Regardless, if a house is in disrepair, that does not obligate a person to go and spray graffiti all over it or bust out its windows. You walk on by, or you stop to help, but you don't do anything to make it worse, which is what Morbs did.

•  @Zylon said:

what? so it's not a required tdwtf etiquette?

• @nonpartisan said:

It's cool, I checked with God beforehand and he gave me the go-ahead.

I don't even think his family was reading the memorial, it was just resurrected by outraged nitwits who thought he was innocent. But for the fun of it, I want to challenge your holier-than-thou morals. Let's say Hitler's family resurrected a memorial to him, would it be wrong to deface it? What if the family was really, really sad over their loss of him?

Now, obviously Troy Davis wasn't Hitler, I'm just making the point that there's obviously a line after which you think someone was enough of an asshole that it's okay to laugh at his death, even if his family overhears you.

The really awesome part was they couldn't figure out how to ban me so they ended up having to take down the whole memorial (although they put up another one later on, but had to restrict access).