Macs don't crash

• On Friday I was complaining to my boss about the 3D modelling software we use constantly crashing. I got the reply "You should use a Mac instead, they never crash" (I'm using a fairly decent PC). After explaining that the software doesn't work on a Mac and isn't even available on the Mac, I got the reply "Don't be stupid, Macs run Windows, so they can run your package as well".

In the end I just gave up and said "Fine, ok, buy me a Mac". He's now going to talk it over with our IT department to get me a quad core Mac, 16GB RAM, and Windows 7.

I don't know if they are just going to laugh at him or just buy it. I'd love to be in the same room as him when he asks, but alas, I can't even access that part of the building.

• [img]http://i49.tinypic.com/2dslf86.jpg[/img]

I saw this at a shopping centre. A bank had a kiosk there and for some reason decided that using a Mac to run a digital sign was a good idea.

Yep, Macs don't crash. At all. Ever.

• I had one of those first-gen 14" iBooks, that thing was a piece of shit. To be fair to Apple, it crashed due to a bad run of capacitors (or some component) that they ended up putting in like 100,000 motherboards before the problems started, but to be mean to Apple when they did realize the problem they didn't bother doing another run of motherboards.

Result? Get a iBook, use it for about a year-- crashes and burns. Have Apple replace it, use the replacement for about a year-- crashes and burns. Get a replacement, use the replacement for about a year-- crashes and burns. Apple store manager (who did the two replacements) finally just says "fuck it" and updates me to the second gen for free, just so he doesn't have to see my face again.

• Of course Macs crash — any sufficiently complicated piece of software can and will crash, is my experience. It'll probably crash under Windows 7 as often as it does under OS X — most likely not a lot.

@Blakey: I had an iMac G5 with capacitors of probably the same batch. It died on me a week before the warranty ran out (luckily), and when the motherboard was replaced I didn't have any more problems like that in the couple of years I used it afterward.

• @blakeyrat said:

Get a iBook, use it for about a year-- crashes and burns. Have Apple replace it, use the replacement for about a year-- crashes and burns. Get a replacement, use the replacement for about a year-- crashes and burns.

You were holding it wrong.

• @Speakerphone Dude said:

@blakeyrat said:
    Get a iBook, use it for about a year-- crashes and burns. Have Apple replace it, use the replacement for about a year-- crashes and burns. Get a replacement, use the replacement for about a year-- crashes and burns.

You were holding it wrong.

T4x series IBM ThinkPads actually had that problem. Hold it wrong -> the motherboard flexes -> eventually the GPU solder comes loose and it won't work unless you hold it [i]right[/i], i.e. press on the GPU.

• Back in the day I got plenty of "beachballs of death" using Maya. Maya was especially good at doing that. Mind you, it rarely took the OS down with it, but given enough time, it often did. Newer versions of Maya and newer versions of OSX have remedied the problem, but being crash-proof is a myth.

Also, if you want to guarentee a kernel panic, try reinstalling from an OSX upgrade CD. I had it happen with my Snow Leopard disc several times until I realized I was using the upgrade when I should have been using the original OS disc.

• @Gurth said:

...any sufficiently complicated piece of software can and will crash, is my experience.

Not Linux.

• @Gurth said:

any sufficiently complicated piece of software can and will crash

That sounds like the solution to the Turing Halting Problem. Just add a PhD worth of math and you'll be world-famous.

• @Qwerty said:

@Gurth said:
    That sounds like the solution to the Turing Halting Problem. Just add a PhD worth of math and you'll be world-famous.

It's a statistical claim. The probability simply approaches 1 as you go on.

• @dhromed said:

@Qwerty said:

@Gurth said:

A claim that does not allow for exceptions cannot be said to have a probability that approaches 1 unless the probability is expressed in base 2.

A claim that does not allow for exceptions cannot be said to have a probability that approaches 1 unless the probability is expressed in base 2.

TDEMSYR

@dhromed said:

@Qwerty said:

@Gurth said:

Christ on a bicycle...

@dhromed said:

@Qwerty said:

@Gurth said:

Take a claim with infinite different events, for which only one event the claim does not hold:
    Latex: P(claim\;is\;correct)&space;=&space;\lim_{n&space;\to&space;\infty&space;}{\frac{n-1}{n}}=1
    Q.E.D.

Also you use a double negation, but I think it's not on purpose, because now you say "A claim that does allow for exceptions can be said to have"

• @morbiuswilters said:

@Gurth said:
    ...any sufficiently complicated piece of software can and will crash, is my experience.

Not Linux.

Unfortunately, Linux doesn't just not crash. It also does not do anything at all.

• ♿ (Parody)

@gu3st said:

@morbiuswilters said:
    @Gurth said:

Not Linux.

Unfortunately, Linux doesn't just not crash. It also does not do anything at all.

BAZINGA!

• @boomzilla said:

@gu3st said:
    @morbiuswilters said:
    Not Linux.

BAZINGA!

You're not funny.

• @gu3st said:

@morbiuswilters said:
    @Gurth said:

Not Linux.

It runs Tux Racer.

• @morbiuswilters said:

@gu3st said:
    @morbiuswilters said:
    @Gurth said:

Not Linux.

It runs Tux Racer.

And other software, such as everything.

• @Vortico said:

"Everything" being a euphemism for "Frozen Bubble".

• ♿ (Parody)

@Vortico said:

@morbiuswilters said:
    @gu3st said:
    @morbiuswilters said:
    @Gurth said:

Not Linux.

It runs Tux Racer.

Looks like you and Gurth gu3st are both wrong:

$ aptitude search everything
    $ aptitude search anything
    p   anything-el            - open anything / QuickSilver-like candidate-selection framework

Morbs was correctly, though surprisingly, morbs wasn't extreme enough:

$ aptitude search tuxracer
    i   extremetuxracer                                 - 3D racing game featuring Tux, the Linux penguin          
    i A extremetuxracer-data                            - data files for the game Extreme Tux Racer                
    p   extremetuxracer-dbg                             - 3D racing game featuring Tux, the Linux penguin (debuggin
    i A extremetuxracer-extras                          - Additional courses for Extreme Tux Racer                 
    p   extremetuxracer-gimp-dev                        - plugins for GIMP for easy development of etracer courses 

That has to be a first.

• @boomzilla said:

Morbs was correctly, though surprisingly, morbs wasn't extreme enough:

$ aptitude search tuxracer
    i   extremetuxracer                                 - 3D racing game featuring Tux, the Linux penguin          
    i A extremetuxracer-data                            - data files for the game Extreme Tux Racer                
    p   extremetuxracer-dbg                             - 3D racing game featuring Tux, the Linux penguin (debuggin
    i A extremetuxracer-extras                          - Additional courses for Extreme Tux Racer                 
    p   extremetuxracer-gimp-dev                        - plugins for GIMP for easy development of etracer courses 

That has to be a first.

Am I correct in reading that you have Tux Racer installed?

• ♿ (Parody)

@morbiuswilters said:

Am I correct in reading that you have Tux Racer installed?

Extreme Tux Racer. My kids like to play it. Yeah, that's totally why.

• @boomzilla said:

surprisingly, morbs wasn't extreme enough

He doesn't have the aptitude for it.

Perhaps he'll emerge from his shell and discover how yummy the experience can be.

• @Mole said:

On Friday I was complaining to my boss about the 3D modelling software we use constantly crashing. I got the reply "You should use a Mac instead, they never crash" (I'm using a fairly decent PC). After explaining that the software doesn't work on a Mac and isn't even available on the Mac
    What 3D modelling software doesn't run on Mac, that seems bizarre!

• @Cassidy said:

@boomzilla said:

Perhaps he'll emerge from his shell and discover how yummy the experience can be.

The hottest corner of hell is reserved for those that make Unix jokes.

• @morbiuswilters said:

Been there.

Got expelled.

• @Cassidy said:

@morbiuswilters said:

Been there.

Got expelled.

So now you're a zombie? Too bad I can't wait on you.

• @morbiuswilters said:

@Cassidy said:

@boomzilla said:

Linux is not UNIX. Linus has said so many times. [/pedant]

• @zelmak said:

@morbiuswilters said:

@Cassidy said:

@boomzilla said:

Linux is not UNIX. Linus has said so many times. [/pedant]

I was wrong: the hottest corner of hell is reserved for those who pedantically nitpick Unix jokes.

That whole "Linux is not Unix" thing is tiresome, anyway. Call a spade a spade. I can't think of any differences between Linux and Unix that are more significant than the differences between Unix variants.