MS Office Auto-Update

• :belt_onion:

@Cassidy said:

I heard of such a project in the works some time back, where a Microsoft guy was extolling the virtues of central repos and looking at the logistics of reproducing a windows model. Looks like someone's been working on it.

I've looked at appupdater, but found it to be a clumsy, unattractive piece of ass. I mean, you can tell that yourself just by looking at the screenshot on that page; it looks like every shitty Java UI designer and the Cygwin setup designers had a baby. And it's not even good at keeping up with new versions. I like Ninite for my own use and have in fact looked into Ninite Pro to make a business case for it. Updating software was a big chunk of time for some of the people below me, and documenting the exact installation procedures I wanted so crapware wasn't installed and installs were consistent was a big chunk of time for me. It's pretty clean and I like a few of its conceits (being able to pick apps and download a customized EXE, being able to run the EXE again whenever you want to update).

• @heterodox said:

I mean, you can tell that yourself just by looking at the screenshot on that page; it looks like every shitty Java UI designer and the Cygwin setup designers had a baby.

I went to look at it, but the only screenshot on the site is too small to even determine what the hell is going on. Given how ugly the web site is, I can only imagine the pain of the app itself. Great job, appupdater.

• @morbiuswilters said:

@heterodox said:
    I mean, you can tell that yourself just by looking at the screenshot on that page; it looks like every shitty Java UI designer and the Cygwin setup designers had a baby.

I went to look at it, but the only screenshot on the site is too small to even determine what the hell is going on. Given how ugly the web site is, I can only imagine the pain of the app itself. Great job, appupdater.

Yeah, because the quality of software is directly related to the developers ability to design isn't it?

• @morbiuswilters said:

@heterodox said:

Me: "Ha ha, look at this nub! You can click it to make it bigger!"

Me: click

Me: "Oh, wtf, why even bother."

•  I remember when Microsoft were launching "Hey you know how that ME shit sold anyway because we forced everyone to buy copies through the OEM license agreement so it wasn't like they had a choice no matter how shit it was and then we got them pay for XP to escape the hell that was ME thus making them pay us for two operating systems? Lets do that again!"-OS (Known to some as Vista).

Early versions seemed to have a bit of a problem with things like recycle bins and system restore due to Microsoft's moving around of everything.

I split my windows box down the middle and had XP and Vista dual booting. Pretty soon I noticed a runaway in hard disk space, Microsoft being Microsoft with its "All your disk are belong to us" attitude, each operating system was creating system volume information and restore points and recycle bins on partitions it had no business in, each using differing naming schemes. For a while, XP would make restore points for changes it saw on the vista drive aswell as the XP drive, then vista would do the same.

Combine this with Microsoft's wonderful auto update strategy of "Download an N meg installer, leave it in software distribution.. unpack it to temp, at least doubling the space used... run the patch, which creates a system restore point if that is turned on, also backup the patched files into one of those ntuninstall folders and then forget to clean up after yourself." and the nasty habit those patches had of creating randomly named directories on any partition they could find with enough space (I've had those temp directories you find lying around the root of your drive show on USB sticks!)...

Before you know it the amount of junk windows is holding onto reaches meltdown and one morning there either isn't enough elbow room for windows to masturbate itself enough to boot, or you suddenly that one or the other of you operating systems which you gave 80gb each is complaining its down to its last 20mb of disk space and saying "Maybe YOU should delete something!" - Like its my fucking fault?!

• @EncoreSpod said:

I remember when Microsoft were launching "Hey you know how that ME shit sold anyway because we forced everyone to buy copies through the OEM license agreement so it wasn't like they had a choice no matter how shit it was and then we got them pay for XP to escape the hell that was ME thus making them pay us for two operating systems? Lets do that again!"-OS (Known to some as Vista).

Where are these people coming from? Did Slashdot spring a leak?

Look: Vista had screw-ups.
    Microsoft was far too ambitious on their scheduling, making it late and causing the need to drop features.
    They highly overestimated OEMs' ability/desire to update drivers for a new OS.
    They didn't foresee the rise of the Netbook, and the corresponding need to lower the hardware requirements of the OS
    The first release had a bug that made file copies slow, which if you ask Slashdot was a SUPER DUPER CRITICAL OMG bug but if you ask anybody else they'd just shrug and go, "eh, mildly annoying".
    Microsoft didn't anticipate that actually including the security feature everybody had been asking for for a decade (UAC) would actually just piss stupid people off.
    Other tiny bugs, including an overly-aggressive content indexer and an overly-aggressive cache loader, along with the greater number of UAC prompts while installing new software led to bad reviews by reviewers who only tried the OS for a couple days.

These are all genuine problems with Vista. None of them make Vista a bad OS. Half of them are out of Microsoft's control, or the result of Microsoft assuming that adding in features people wanted would make them happy.

But none of them change the fact that Vista was a stable, usable, fast OS. Anybody who's actually tried it for longer than an hour could tell you that.

@EncoreSpod said:

Before you know it the amount of junk windows is holding onto reaches meltdown and one morning there either isn't enough elbow room for windows to masturbate itself enough to boot, or you suddenly that one or the other of you operating systems which you gave 80gb each is complaining its down to its last 20mb of disk space and saying "Maybe YOU should delete something!" - Like its my fucking fault?!

Hey here's a thought: if you hate Windows so much, WHY THE FUCK DID YOU INSTALL TWO COPIES ON A SINGLE COMPUTER?! Just so you could come here and bitch about it years later? Was that your motive?

• @blakeyrat said:

But none of them change the fact that Vista was a stable, usable, fast OS. Anybody who's actually tried it for longer than an hour could tell you that.

A lot of Vista PCs really were slow when Vista first came out, be they shop-bought (and they could be truly awful), or my brother-in-law's £2000 custom-built PC.

All the Vista computers that I've used in the last few years have run fine – even before SP2; I suspect all the problems got ironed relatively quickly, but at that point everyone had built up such a well of hatred towards it that it could never be good, ever. Vista evil! Must hate Vista!

It's amusing that Vista is seen as evil, and 7 as fabulous, when they really aren't all that different at all.

• @Daniel Beardsmore said:

@blakeyrat said:

A lot of Vista PCs really were slow when Vista first came out, be they shop-bought (and they could be truly awful), or my brother-in-law's £2000 custom-built PC.

All the Vista computers that I've used in the last few years have run fine – even before SP2; I suspect all the problems got ironed relatively quickly, but at that point everyone had built up such a well of hatred towards it that it could never be good, ever. Vista evil! Must hate Vista!

It's amusing that Vista is seen as evil, and 7 as fabulous, when they really aren't all that different at all.

Placebo effect and marketing can do wonders.  How do you think Apple does so well?

Here is a wonderful example of this from Clients from Hell:

@Clients from Hell said:

I accidentally sent my client two identical attachments.

We’re going with the top ad, please lighten the photo (same as the one below) and email only the top ad to ASAP. 
    I’m leaving to an offsite, I will follow-up this afternoon, thanks!

To: Client

Definitely the top one, slogan really stands out. Only concern is photo in bottom one is lighter and would be better in paper.

• @ASheridan said:

@morbiuswilters said:

@heterodox said:

Yeah, because the quality of software is directly related to the developers ability to design isn't it?

If the guy can't manage a halfway decent HTML page, what hope is there that he can design software, which is much more difficult?

• ♿ (Parody)

@morbiuswilters said:

If the guy can't manage a halfway decent HTML page, what hope is there that he can design software, which is much more difficult?

The page is at least halfway decent. But marketing and presentation aside, what other fallacies can we throw at him?

How about: He's writing open source software for a closed source operating system. How can that possibly work?

• @boomzilla said:

The page is at least halfway decent. But marketing and presentation aside, what other fallacies can we throw at him?

No, it looks really shitty. And how is that a fallacy? Web design is easy; if he can't manage to do that correctly, he's probably not going to do a good GUI (which is backed up by what others have said). He doesn't even have a single, acceptable screenshot.

• ♿ (Parody)

@morbiuswilters said:

@boomzilla said:

No, it looks really shitty. And how is that a fallacy? Web design is easy; if he can't manage to do that correctly, he's probably not going to do a good GUI (which is backed up by what others have said). He doesn't even have a single, acceptable screenshot.

Why do you think web design is easy? Why do you think his site looks really shitty? I don't agree with either of those statements. The screenshot is too small, but from what I can see, the GUI looks reasonable. If you can't even get those two simple things right, why should I believe anything you say is accurate?

• @morbiuswilters said:

No, it looks really shitty. And how is that a fallacy? Web design is easy; if he can't manage to do that correctly, he's probably not going to do a good GUI …

Web design is easy, now? HTML 3.2 wasn't too bad, I grant you … give or take a few levels of nested tables! Not only is wrestling with CSS or HTML 3.2 difficult, but so is being visually creative – being a programmer doesn't mean that you have a good aesthetic taste. Worse, people who don't have taste, often don't recognise it. For how many revisions has KDE's digital taskbar clock been off-centre relative to its container? Argh. And what's with Linux distros all having fuzzy, indistinguishable icons? More argh.

I guess the issue is that he hasn't teamed up with someone else who's able to take care of the aesthetic side of things. It amazes me how, in the Mac world, every developer either has the talent for creating professional icons that look 3D rendered, or they have access to someone who does. I don't know whether this is due to better networking, or a greater level of designers using Macs – in the Windows world, even a pretty icon is a blessing (if you get full 48×48 or above, you're especially fortunate). Then you get people like Irfan Skiljan who actually likes his stupid roadkill icon (WTF??)

I'm used to having to do everything myself – if I can, fine, if not, then some stuff will just have to suck. One thing's for sure, no-one else is going to do it for me!

• @Daniel Beardsmore said:

Web design is easy, now?

Compared to GUI application design (web app or desktop)? Yes.

@Daniel Beardsmore said:

Worse, people who don't have taste, often don't recognise it. For how many revisions has KDE's digital taskbar clock been off-centre relative to its container? Argh. And what's with Linux distros all having fuzzy, indistinguishable icons? More argh.

Yes, that's a good example of shitty UI. Did you intend to make my point for me?

@Daniel Beardsmore said:

It amazes me how, in the Mac world, every developer either has the talent for creating professional icons that look 3D rendered, or they have access to someone who does. I don't know whether this is due to better networking...

Mac developers have friends. Windows developers don't. Or, I dunno, Mac people won't buy software that's ugly while Windows people have lower standards.

• @morbiuswilters said:

@Daniel Beardsmore said:
    Web design is easy, now?

Compared to GUI application design (web app or desktop)? Yes

But hard compared to forum posting@morbiuswilters said:
    Mac developers have friends, Windows developers don't, *nix developers never meet another human being. Or, I dunno, Mac people won't buy software that's ugly while Windows people have lower standards and *nix people have no standars (except for a CLI).

FTFY

• @morbiuswilters said:

@Daniel Beardsmore said:
    Web design is easy, now?

So web design is easy compared to web design? Got you, I was worried I might not understand you there, but you've made it perfectly clear.

• @serguey123 said:

*nix developers never meet another human being in person

ftfy

• @ASheridan said:

@serguey123 said:

*nix developers never meet another human being in person

ftfy

No such thing as a human being on the Internet

• @ASheridan said:

@morbiuswilters said:

@Daniel Beardsmore said:
    Web design is easy, now?

So web design is easy compared to web design? Got you, I was worried I might not understand you there, but you've made it perfectly clear.

Right, because designing a web page is exactly the same as designing a web app. Look, I know you're functionally retarded, but stop pestering those of us who aren't.

• @blakeyrat said:

@morbiuswilters said:
    I miss Carrousel.

Life clocks are a lie! Carousel is a lie! THERE IS NO RENEWAL!

(Also, no sanctuary.)

Sure there is (sanctuary)...just a different one then you are thinking about...http://www.syfy.com/sanctuary  ...that one is real!

• @TheCPUWizard said:

@blakeyrat said:
    @morbiuswilters said:
    I miss Carrousel.

(Also, no sanctuary.)

Sure there is (sanctuary)...just a different one then you are thinking about...http://www.syfy.com/sanctuary  ...that one is real!

Yeah, but is full of shitty acting, on the plus side Samantha Carter ;)

• @ASheridan said:

Yeah, because the quality of software is directly related to the developers ability to design
    You don't have to be an expert designer to put up a site that looks halfway decent and know that you need to include a few screen shots that are big enough that people can actual see what's going on.  That's basic common sense.

• @serguey123 said:

@TheCPUWizard said:
    @blakeyrat said:
    @morbiuswilters said:
    I miss Carrousel.

(Also, no sanctuary.)

Yeah, but is full of shitty acting, on the plus side Samantha Carter ;)

+1 on Samantha Carter,but what I find most "worthwhile" is the amount of blue-screen/digital work that is done. Sure there are those scenes where it is obvious, but there are alot more that "most people" believe are being done on a "real" set...

It's sort of like the (ancient) TV show "Space 1999". Not many redeeming qualities, but it was the first TV sci-fi show where the displays were "real" and not painted on later [Tektronix designed the Bridge Consoles]

• @TheCPUWizard said:

It's sort of like the (ancient) TV show "Space 1999". Not many redeeming qualities,

Feh. Space: 1999 was the best.

• @TheCPUWizard said:

It's sort of like the (ancient) TV show "Space 1999". Not many redeeming qualities, but it was the first TV sci-fi show where the displays were "real" and not painted on later [Tektronix designed the Bridge Consoles]

Ahh, I fondly remember all those cheesy british shows like Super Gran, nostalgia is a powerful emotion, but the ancient part makes me feel like a geezer :')

• @serguey123 said:

...but the ancient part makes me feel like a geezer :')

That feeling is probably just your organs failing.

Because you are old.

• @morbiuswilters said:

Right, because designing a web page is exactly the same as designing a web app. Look, I know you're functionally retarded, but stop pestering those of us who aren't.

You said web design. It doesn't matter if you're designing an app or a site, it's still web-fucking-design you moron.

• @TheCPUWizard said:

+1 on Samantha Carter

Do you have a sister that many people around told you is cute? I have this theory that when a male is attracted to a slightly above-average actress, it's a sign that Nature distorted his sense of aesthetics so he won't be attracted to his cute sister. A good test is: what is the name of the cute chick in Friends? If your answer is Courteney Cox you have this condition. (Other symptom would be to pick Piper as the cutest sister in Charmed).

• @Speakerphone Dude said:

Do you have a sister that many people around told you is cute? I have this theory that when a male is attracted to a slightly above-average actress, it's a sign that Nature distorted his sense of aesthetics so he won't be attracted to his cute sister.

Beauty is in the eye of?

You appear to be modelling human attraction as an objective, linear scale from Hideous → Hot. I don't think it works that way, but I would be intrigued to see your data points for this hypothesis.

@TheCPUWizard said:

+1 on Samantha Carter

Do you have a sister that many people around told you is cute? I have this theory that when a male is attracted to a slightly above-average actress, it's a sign that Nature distorted his sense of aesthetics so he won't be attracted to his cute sister. A good test is: what is the name of the cute chick in Friends? If your answer is Courteney Cox you have this condition. (Other symptom would be to pick Piper as the cutest sister in Charmed).

Where did I ever give any indication that my "+1" was based on her physical appearance?

• @ASheridan said:

@morbiuswilters said:

You said web design. It doesn't matter if you're designing an app or a site, it's still web-fucking-design you moron.

No, it's not. The term "web design" specifically refers to designing public-facing web sites. What's more, even if it did refer to both the meaning was abundantly clear from context. You really need to stop being such a shit-for-brains, mmkay?

Do you have a sister that many people around told you is cute?

Nope

@Speakerphone Dude said:

have this theory that when a male is attracted to a slightly above-average actress, it's a sign that Nature distorted his sense of aesthetics so he won't be attracted to his cute sister.

You should publish then, might I recommend Nature?, it seems nowadays they publish any crap that they send.

@Speakerphone Dude said:

A good test is: what is the name of the cute chick in Friends?

They all look the same to me, but I do remember them, Cox was the rich one right?

@Speakerphone Dude said:

Other symptom would be to pick Piper as the cutest sister in Charmed

@Daniel Beardsmore said:

Never watched it, was it any good?

Beauty is in the eye of?

The Tiger?

@Daniel Beardsmore said:

You appear to be modelling human attraction as an objective, linear scale from Hideous → Hot. I don't think it works that way, but I would be intrigued to see your data points for this hypothesis.

Yep, definitions of beauty varies a lot, check old paintings, or other countries.

@TheCPUWizard said:

Where did I ever give any indication that my "+1" was based on her physical appearance?

Take your mind out of the gutter you people, we were discussing her acting, are you not a fan of  Star Gate?.  Although for my age, she is not bad looking.

• @TheCPUWizard said:

@Speakerphone Dude said:
    @TheCPUWizard said:

+1 on Samantha Carter

Right on. You just as easily could have been referring to her cooking.

• @morbiuswilters said:

@TheCPUWizard said:
    @Speakerphone Dude said:
    @TheCPUWizard said:

+1 on Samantha Carter

Right on. You just as easily could have been referring to her cooking.

Actually what got me most interested in Amanda Tapping was her work with Sanctuary for Kids [http://sanctuaryforkids.org/], I had also seen her up in Canada nearly 20 yers ago when she was still doing comedy, and then in when she did Lions in Winter.

I have this theory that when a male is attracted to a slightly above-average actress, it's a sign that Nature distorted his sense of aesthetics so he won't be attracted to his cute sister. A good test is: what is the name of the cute chick in Friends? If your answer is Courteney Cox you have this condition.

Phew, I'm normal!  I said Lisa Kudrow.

(Other symptom would be to pick Piper as the cutest sister in Charmed).

So who's your favorite Powerpuff GIrl?

I'd like to know how this works for me given that I don't have a sister, cute or otherwise.

• @morbiuswilters said:

No, it's not. The term "web design" specifically refers to designing public-facing web sites. What's more, even if it did refer to both the meaning was abundantly clear from context. You really need to stop being such a shit-for-brains, mmkay?

You're wrong, you really need to stop being such a shit-for-brains, mmkay?

• @ASheridan said:

@morbiuswilters said:

You're wrong, you really need to stop being such a shit-for-brains, mmkay?

What a sad little troll. It knows it is wrong but it futilely squirms and strikes out at its master, a pathetic attempt at appearing dominant.

• @morbiuswilters said:

What a sad little troll. It knows it is wrong but it futilely squirms and strikes out at its master, a pathetic attempt at appearing dominant.

Seriously? You have an over-inflated opinion of yourself. It's both funny and sad at the same time, you have my pity, you really do.

• @Anketam said:

Placebo effect and marketing can do wonders.  How do you think Apple does so well?

Possibly, the pictures in question were viewed on a TN-panel monitor, such that the bottom would indeed appear brighter.

• @dhromed said:

@Anketam said:

Possibly, the pictures in question were viewed on a TN-panel monitor, such that the bottom would indeed appear brighter.

Stop bringing science and facts into this. This is about making ourselves feel better by mocking people who spent high school getting laid rather than playing Zork.

• @ASheridan said:

@morbiuswilters said:

Seriously? You have an over-inflated opinion of yourself. It's both funny and sad at the same time, you have my pity, you really do.

squirm squirm

half-hearted nip at his master's hand

gives in, rolls onto his back exposing his soft underbelly as a sign of submission

• @morbiuswilters said:

*squirm* *squirm*

gives in, rolls onto his back exposing his soft underbelly as a sign of submission

Yes, I'm afraid pity is all I have left for you now. You seem to have some deep-rooted psychological insecurity issues, possibly stemming from feelings of not being loved enough as a child. Get over it.

• @ASheridan said:

@morbiuswilters said:

squirm squirm

Yes, I'm afraid pity is all I have left for you now. You seem to have some deep-rooted psychological insecurity issues, possibly stemming from feelings of not being loved enough as a child. Get over it.

(Psst: he's making fun of you)

• @pkmnfrk said:

I know, but it doesn't prevent the very real concern I have for him in his delicate mental state.

• @ASheridan said:

@pkmnfrk said:

I know, but it doesn't prevent the very real concern I have for him in his delicate mental state.

So you apparently can't tell when somebody is mocking your dumb ass, and that makes you concerned for my mental state?

The truth is, you're just a sad little troll who pointlessly derails every thread he participates in with personal attacks on me. Get over yourself. It's gotten to the point where you're contradicting me solely for the sake of contradicting me.

• Trolleybus Mechanic

@morbiuswilters said:

The truth is, you're just a sad little troll who pointlessly derails every thread he participates in with personal attacks on me.

I think he only derails the threads that both you and he participate in.

But since you participate in every thread, I have no way of falsifying my hypothesis. Way to go. Why do you hate science? What did it ever do to you? (Aside from all that-- you know- intrabutt stuff)

• @Lorne Kates said:

But since you participate in every thread, I have no way of falsifying my hypothesis.

I feel the denizens of this slum need to constantly see my face so they are reminded of their duty to me. Once I finish installing the telescreens in everyone's home, I'll post a lot less.

@Lorne Kates said:

Why do you hate science?

I only hate the bad parts of science, like recycling and treatments for childhood cancer. I'm quite pleased with the progress made in the fields of retroviral engineering and death rays.

• @morbiuswilters said:

@ASheridan said:

@pkmnfrk said:

So you apparently can't tell when somebody is mocking your dumb ass, and that makes you concerned for my mental state?

The truth is, you're just a sad little troll who pointlessly derails every thread he participates in with personal attacks on me. Get over yourself. It's gotten to the point where you're contradicting me solely for the sake of contradicting me.

So me saying I know you were attempting to mock me is in-fact me not knowing you were mocking me? Right! And if I make personal attacks on you, just remember, if you weren't such a dick to others in the first place it wouldn't happen. Look back at threads we've both posted in. Now cross reference the times you weren't being a total dick with the times that I didn't have a go at you, and you'll find the list correlates quite nicely.

• @ASheridan said:

And if I make personal attacks on you, just remember, if you weren't such a dick to others in the first place it wouldn't happen. Look back at threads we've both posted in. Now cross reference the times you weren't being a total dick with the times that I didn't have a go at you, and you'll find the list correlates quite nicely.

I'm only a dick when someone is being stupid. I'm sorry that you're quite frequently stupid, but if I made an exception for your stupidity then every moron would expect me to stop being a dick to them, and that's just not going to happen.

• @morbiuswilters said:

This is about making ourselves feel better

But I don't want to.