He told me to do it



  • We allow individual customers to make a real time request of our system. We also allow batch runs (for all customers that come under a given "umbrella organization").

    As  such, we have two versions of most of our stored procedures.One takes a single customer id, the other takes a list of customer id's. We group our batch operations into groups of 1,000 customers for performance.

    When doing batch operations, we typically request all the data for all customers in the batch for any given table in a single query, then iterate and assign the data to the appropriate customer record.

    The guy who wrote a new feature forgot about handling batch operations, and made a separate procedure call to the db to look up a single value for each customer, one at a time. In this case, just to make it fun, depending upon the value that is returned, you might need to do some recursive queries.

    So what used to take 3 minutes now takes 3+ hours.

    I tell the guy.

    So? It's what <boss> told me to build.

    Um, and you didn't think to mention that it would make the application absolutely unusable to everyone?

    Yes, but he told me to do it.

    Don't get me wrong, my boss is (perhaps) too easy going, and doesn't put his foot down as often as he should, but he does listen if you bring him a problem and recommend a solution.

    This guy won't even make the effort to do that!

     



  • So... you're saying he'll be your boss within a year?


  • Discourse touched me in a no-no place

    The term "malicious compliance" comes to mind.



  • I'm surrounded by people that will do anything that a person in power tells them to. They also think that it's not their place to provide an opinion, just to do it. It drives me crazy.



  • @Jaime said:

    I'm surrounded by people that will do anything that a person in power tells them to.  They also think that it's not their place to provide an opinion, just to do it. It drives me crazy.
    That reminds me of several churches I have been to.  It is bad enough when it happens in a workplace where if you call out on it, you are "not a team player" or are an idiot.  However, if you call a person out on being a blind follower in a church you are one of Satan's minions and are going to burn in Hell for all eternity (which is kind of irionic since that is where I think they and the leader they are blindly following off a cliff are going).



  • @snoofle said:

    One takes a single customer ID, the other takes a list of customer IDs.

    Couldn't that be refactored down to one single SP? Surely the latter would suit the former, where the number of customer IDs happens to be one...?

    @snoofle said:

    The guy who wrote a new feature forgot about handling batch operations

    ... So? It's what <boss> told me to build.

    "And did <boss> also stipulate Oh, and make batch operations dog-slow whilst you're at it in the requirements, too? No? So why did you decide to include this as additional functionality?

    Martha? Fetch the ClueBat!"


  • Discourse touched me in a no-no place

    @Anketam said:

    @Jaime said:
    I'm surrounded by people that will do anything that a person in power tells them to.  They also think that it's not their place to provide an opinion, just to do it. It drives me crazy.
    That reminds me of several churches I have been to.
    It reminds me of most religions.



  • @Jaime said:

    I'm surrounded by people that will do anything that a person in power tells them to. They also think that it's not their place to provide an opinion, just to do it. It drives me crazy.

    @Anketam said:

    you are "not a team player" or are an idiot.

    There's a name for this, isn't there? A "Lemmings AntiPattern", or "Sheep Mentality" somesuch, where people blindly follow the crowd for safety is numbers is preferable than drawing attention to yourself for having a different opinion (and questioning blind faith)...?



  • @Cassidy said:

    There's a name for this, isn't there? A "Lemmings AntiPattern", or "Sheep Mentality" somesuch, where people blindly follow the crowd for safety is numbers is preferable than drawing attention to yourself for having a different opinion (and questioning blind faith)...?
    These people piss me off to no end. Mostly because I can't be bothered to manipulate them for my own nefarious ends. On a side note anyone's that into scifi might want to read "Vanni Fucci is Alive and Well and Living in Hell", a brilliant little short story about crooks and the sheep that follow them.

     



  • @Cassidy said:

    There's a name for this, isn't there? A "Lemmings AntiPattern", or "Sheep Mentality" somesuch, where people blindly follow the crowd for safety is numbers is preferable than drawing attention to yourself for having a different opinion (and questioning blind faith)...?
     

    Groupthink.

     

     



  • @snoofle said:

    ...

    This guy won't even make the effort to do that!

     

    How 'bout shooting the guy, huh? :D


Log in to reply
 

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.