Online Cash Payments

• @Scarlet Manuka said:

Quite a few food places etc. over here don't have EFTPOS of any kind.

And actually almost all of them have a sign to the effect of "No EFTPOS" so it's like they are saying "Yeah, we know we should have it but we don't want to pay the Man $x000 for the privilege of paying them more fees!"

@Scarlet Manuka said:

you aren't stuck if the EFTPOS terminal or comm links are down

Heh, I go to a local pizza shop. They are quite busy but only have one phone line - sometimes it takes 15 minutes of constant redialling to get through to place an order. This line is also shared with their EFTPOS machine, and more than once I've had to wait for the order-taker to get off the phone to pay. So now as a rule I pay there in cash. The other day it was down so they were happy I had cash! (Their product is worth this bother)

• @Scarlet Manuka said:

I haven't had it happen to me, but there was a case here a couple of years ago where a whole bunch of McDonalds customers got skimmed.
    In all fairness, though, that was their fault for continuing to use a known bad model of machine (Ingenico PX328) that are not tamper proof. Australia Post still continues to use them, and several other businesses were also using them, strangely enough up until McDonalds had the big skimming scandal.

• @Zemm said:

Heh, I go to a local pizza shop. They are quite busy but only have one phone line - sometimes it takes 15 minutes of constant redialling to get through to place an order. This line is also shared with their EFTPOS machine, and more than once I've had to wait for the order-taker to get off the phone to pay.

Now, if only there was some way of submitting your order without calling the shop directly, avoiding contention for the phone line.

Perhaps presenting customers with some kind of form where they could fill in all the details themselves, that's be cool.

Hell, if I could do it all from the luxury of my own home, that'd be even better!

• @morbiuswilters said:

@Scarlet Manuka said:

there's much less chance of being skimmed

Is this a big thing overseas?

Yup, especially in some far-eastern places. There's a website that shows plenty of Russian-made skimming devices, and many of them are quite professionally-made for insertion into ATMs to read the magnetic strip and capture PIN keystrokes. (Egypt has a cowl over the keypad to defeat unwanted observation).

Over in the far east, some resturants will take your CC to their "tills" and have a replacement faked in a matter of minutes to return to the customer.

Check your card carefully upon return - or better still, ensure your card doesn't leave your sight.

• @Cassidy said:

Check your card carefully upon return - or better still, ensure your card doesn't leave your sight.

Not living in a third world craphole surrounded by kleptomaniacs, it's not something I tend to worry about.

• @morbiuswilters said:

@Cassidy said:

Not living in a third world craphole surrounded by kleptomaniacs, it's not something I tend to worry about.

Still, you should visit so that we can have a stab at your money (or body).

• @serguey123 said:

@morbiuswilters said:
    @Cassidy said:

If I wanted to visit a place that smells like an open sewer and where there's a high chance I'll be sold into the white slave trade, I'd visit Detroit.

• @morbiuswilters said:

@serguey123 said:
    @morbiuswilters said:
    @Cassidy said:

If I wanted to visit a place that smells like an open sewer and where there's a high chance I'll be sold into the white slave trade, I'd visit Detroit.

Detroit? That place still exist? I thought Michigan as a whole died and they only kept the city's name for futuristic scenarios in movies and games of shitty places to live. But again our mimosas are cheaper (but maybe deadlier) and we have better wheather (except for hurricanes, flash floods or military coups) so we win by a far margin

• @morbiuswilters said:

@Cassidy said:

Perhaps not, but I hope that answers the question you asked - and others may find the information useful in the possibility of visiting said places, let alone live there.