Online Cash Payments



  • I got a confirmation from Pizza Hut yesterday:

    Order Date/Time: April 16, 2012 / 4:50 PM
    Order Total: $10.80
    Form of Payment:  Cash
    (REMEMBER: Bills larger than $20 will not be accepted for online cash transactions.)

    The simplest reading of the form of payment section is that they accept bills $20 and lower over the Internet. Even giving them the benefit of the doubt and reading it as they only accept small bills at the time of pickup for an order placed over the Internet, WTF? If they're worried about large fake Internet orders, the bill size won't matter becasue nobody will come to pick it up. If they're worried about counterfeit money, how is it better to force the criminal to place their order in person?



  • I would guess it has something to do with the amount of cash the drivers carry*.  If they have $20 in change, then if your largest bill is a $20, they can make change for whatever price.  But if you pay with a $50 and the pizza is $25, they don't have enough change for you.



  • See, you've gotta put your $20 bill on a wooden table, then take a picture of it, then print the picture, then scan it back in, then convert to PDF, then print it again, then fax it to them...



  • @Sutherlands said:

    I would guess it has something to do with the amount of cash the drivers carry*.  If they have $20 in change, then if your largest bill is a $20, they can make change for whatever price.  But if you pay with a $50 and the pizza is $25, they don't have enough change for you.

    The order was for store pickup. Besides, even if it is a delivery restriction, why prohibit on-line orders from paying with fifties but allow telephone orders to pay with fifties?



  • @Jaime said:

    @Sutherlands said:

    I would guess it has something to do with the amount of cash the drivers carry*.  If they have $20 in change, then if your largest bill is a $20, they can make change for whatever price.  But if you pay with a $50 and the pizza is $25, they don't have enough change for you.

    The order was for store pickup. Besides, even if it is a delivery restriction, why prohibit on-line orders from paying with fifties but allow telephone orders to pay with fifties?

    A lot of brick and mortar places wont take fifties either, because why should they? Just carry twenties. Fifties are only good for showing off.



  • @Jaime said:

    If they're worried about large fake Internet orders, the bill size won't matter becasue nobody will come to pick it up. "Bill" is referring to the order total, not your currency. Limiting the size of the order limits their risk.

    That's exactly what they're worried about. It's not about the change at all.

    Pizza is not something you can put back on the shelf and resell to someone else later. Their cost is in the ingredients and prep time, so by the time 'nobody picks it up', they've fully committed to the expense of making the pizza(s).



  • What seems likely to me is that they only accept bills up to $20 in the store (or for delivery). I doubt they would accept large bills for a telephone or in-person order, either. The "for online cash transactions" part just seems like excess verbosity; it doesn't really have any significance.



  • @BlueKnot said:

    @Jaime said:

    If they're worried about large fake Internet orders, the bill size won't matter becasue nobody will come to pick it up. "Bill" is referring to the order total, not your currency. Limiting the size of the order limits their risk.

    That's exactly what they're worried about. It's not about the change at all.

    Pizza is not something you can put back on the shelf and resell to someone else later. Their cost is in the ingredients and prep time, so by the time 'nobody picks it up', they've fully committed to the expense of making the pizza(s).

    I think your quoting is all screwy, but you're wrong: you can definitely order more than $20 online. They'd probably place a callback if the order was large enough, but they're definitely not limiting online orders to $20.



  • @morbiuswilters said:

    I think your quoting is all screwy, but you're wrong: you can definitely order more than $20 online. They'd probably place a callback if the order was large enough, but they're definitely not limiting online orders to $20.
    Agreed.  Only takes 2 large pizzas not on sale or with a special deal to break $20.



  • Almost relevant:

     

     



  • @Zylon said:

    Almost relevant:

    http://notalwaysright.com/pay-me-up-scotty/18194

    I'm actually kind of amazed there's a hotel that doesn't require a credit card.



  • @Jaime said:

    @Sutherlands said:

    I would guess it has something to do with the amount of cash the drivers carry*.  If they have $20 in change, then if your largest bill is a $20, they can make change for whatever price.  But if you pay with a $50 and the pizza is $25, they don't have enough change for you.

    The order was for store pickup. Besides, even if it is a delivery restriction, why prohibit on-line orders from paying with fifties but allow telephone orders to pay with fifties?

    Domino's won't even allow you to pay for an online order over $50 with cash at all, regardless of what denomination you plan on using. They require you to either call the store or use a credit card. I can see why, though, to keep someone from ordering $300 worth of pizza to be delivered to some random guy's house. Makes it a little less useful when you're trying to order 6 peoples' worth of food for a game night and nobody's willing to put it on their plastic though...



  • @morbiuswilters said:

    What seems likely to me is that they only accept bills up to $20 in the store (or for delivery). I doubt they would accept large bills for a telephone or in-person order, either. The "for online cash transactions" part just seems like excess verbosity; it doesn't really have any significance.

    It could also be that some locations do that, but not others, but since they have a central site, it's easier to just tell that to everybody, rather than trying to keep track of all the local policies.



  • @boomzilla said:

    @morbiuswilters said:
    What seems likely to me is that they only accept bills up to $20 in the store (or for delivery). I doubt they would accept large bills for a telephone or in-person order, either. The "for online cash transactions" part just seems like excess verbosity; it doesn't really have any significance.

    It could also be that some locations do that, but not others, but since they have a central site, it's easier to just tell that to everybody, rather than trying to keep track of all the local policies.

    Yeah, good point.



  • @morbiuswilters said:

    @Zylon said:

    Almost relevant:

    http://notalwaysright.com/pay-me-up-scotty/18194

    I'm actually kind of amazed there's a hotel that doesn't require a credit card.

    Seems to be the norm in some countries (e.g. Netherlands) to not even require a CC to verify.

    Very common over here (Ireland) to hold the room on your CC and pay in cash or via debit card when checking out (our local debit card system does not allow pre-auth).



  • @Cian said:

    @morbiuswilters said:
    @Zylon said:

    Almost relevant:

    http://notalwaysright.com/pay-me-up-scotty/18194

    I'm actually kind of amazed there's a hotel that doesn't require a credit card.

    Seems to be the norm in some countries (e.g. Netherlands) to not even require a CC to verify.

    Very common over here (Ireland) to hold the room on your CC and pay in cash or via debit card when checking out (our local debit card system does not allow pre-auth).

    You might be able to reserve some places in the US without a CC, but they're going to ask for a CC when you check in. That way if you rack up a bunch of charges or do damage to the room they can charge you.



  • @morbiuswilters said:

    @Cian said:
    @morbiuswilters said:
    @Zylon said:

    Almost relevant:

    http://notalwaysright.com/pay-me-up-scotty/18194

    I'm actually kind of amazed there's a hotel that doesn't require a credit card.

    Seems to be the norm in some countries (e.g. Netherlands) to not even require a CC to verify.

    Very common over here (Ireland) to hold the room on your CC and pay in cash or via debit card when checking out (our local debit card system does not allow pre-auth).

    You might be able to reserve some places in the US without a CC, but they're going to ask for a CC when you check in. That way if you rack up a bunch of charges or do damage to the room they can charge you.

    €850 isn't an uncommon standard credit card limit here. Not a huge amount of recovery they can do from the card if you wreck the room. Also, its mostly a minibar and pay pre view free country here.

    Haven't had to do it in a long while but a cash deposit of ~€100 more than the room charges is the usual if you have no CC or just don't trust them with it - but I'm not sure who you'd trust with physical cash and not a card./



  • @Cian said:

    €850 isn't an uncommon standard credit card limit here.

    Wow. In the US that's the kind of credit limit they give to teenagers, not real adults. My current limit across all cards is over $60k. That's not even particularly high.



  • Until they can email me a pizza, ordering online makes no sense.

     



  • @El_Heffe said:

    Until they can email me a pizza, ordering online makes no sense.

    ... yes it does.


Log in to reply
 

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.