Banking WTFs

• @Cassidy said:

In USD?

No, Euros... Yes, USD!

@Cassidy said:

Either you had quite a crowd there, or someone's got a TARDIS for a gut.

I think it was 7 people total drinking for 10 hours or so. Included some appetizers but no cab rides and wasn't at a titty bar. $1200 is about $250 in tips, which means $950 total. Subtract, say, $100 for food and you end up with $120 each on booze. $10 of that is tax, so $110 each. With a (US) pint being around $7 and mixed drinks being $10-15, that comes out to maybe 6 mixed @ avg of $12 and 6 beer @ $7. Six beers and six mixed drinks in 10 hours isn't really that excessive. I think everybody there has had more to drink, it just looked like a lot because it was 7 people on one tab.

• @morbiuswilters said:

I think it was 7 people total drinking for 10 hours or so. Included some appetizers but no cab rides and wasn't at a titty bar. $1200 is about $250 in tips, which means $950 total. Subtract, say, $100 for food and you end up with $120 each on booze. $10 of that is tax, so $110 each. With a (US) pint being around $7 and mixed drinks being $10-15, that comes out to maybe 6 mixed @ avg of $12 and 6 beer @ $7. Six beers and six mixed drinks in 10 hours isn't really that excessive. I think everybody there has had more to drink, it just looked like a lot because it was 7 people on one tab.

... in Manhattan maybe. Or someplace trendy in LA.

Here in the rest of the US, those prices are ridiculous. Stadiums charge less for beer.

• ♿ (Parody)

@morbiuswilters said:

And a great demonstration of why it's so much more economical to drink at home, alone and on an empty stomach.

• @blakeyrat said:

@morbiuswilters said:

... in Manhattan maybe. Or someplace trendy in LA.

Here in the rest of the US, those prices are ridiculous. Stadiums charge less for beer.

This was Boston; Manhattan would be more expensive. In Midtown you can easily spend $10 for a beer and $20 for a cocktail. These weren't excessively trendy places, just nice, upscale joints; those prices are about spot-on for Boston. Regardless, I never said the prices weren't excessive, I said the amount of booze wasn't.

• @morbiuswilters said:

@Cassidy said:
    In USD?

No, Euros... Yes, USD!

@Cassidy said:

Either you had quite a crowd there, or someone's got a TARDIS for a gut.

That is 12 drinks per person... AMA (American Medical Association) guidlines state more than three drinks in a 24 hour period is "Excessive" and 6 or more is binge drinking.

• @TheCPUWizard said:

That is 12 drinks per person... AMA (American Medical Association) guidlines state more than three drinks in a 24 hour period is "Excessive" and 6 or more is binge drinking.

I could really give a shit what the AMA thinks. I don't know anybody who drinks who would think 12 drinks in 10 hours is binge drinking. Three drinks in 24 hours? I wouldn't even consider 3 drinks in 24 hours real drinking. I could barely get tipsy on 3 drinks.

• ♿ (Parody)

@TheCPUWizard said:

You, sir, need to stop this abominable short term thinking.

• @boomzilla said:

@TheCPUWizard said:

Not passing any judgement, just having a (extended) famiy member die during a college party from alcohol toxicity (and well under 12 drinks) makes me a bit sensitive even more than a decade later....

• @TheCPUWizard said:

@boomzilla said:

@TheCPUWizard said:

Not passing any judgement, just having a (extended) famiy member die during a college party from alcohol toxicity (and well under 12 drinks) makes me a bit sensitive even more than a decade later....

I'm guessing those drinks were closer to 3-4 hours, not 10?  The liver can metabolize about a drink an hour, so 10 hours certainly makes a difference.

• @Sutherlands said:

@TheCPUWizard said:

@boomzilla said:

@TheCPUWizard said:

I'm guessing those drinks were closer to 3-4 hours, not 10?  The liver can metabolize about a drink an hour, so 10 hours certainly makes a difference.

In general that rate is true for a healthy liver under "normal circumstances". In my cousin's case, he apparently sustained a minor injury during the soccar game (they were celebrating making it to the championship) which caused a clot inside the liver. As  a result, on that specific day, only about 20% of her liver was processing the alcohol.  It is not known if she had 6 or 7 drinks (16oz commercial beer - not "hi-test") and it was over an 8 hour period from the first drink (less than 1 drink per hour average), until she passed out. Her friends thought is was either exhaustion, or that she could not hold her drink, and decided it was best to just let her sleep it off. She never woke up. Because this was a college event, and occured on campus, there was significant public reaction. When the college investigated and found out it was not a hazing incident in any way, it still got real ugly. EVERY* medical professional involved quoted the AMA guidelines and declared that she was a binge drinker, was solely responsible, and that it was not an accident, but rather a foreseeable outcome from her behaviour.

I am by no means a tea-totaler, nor a prohibitionist; but I do think very carefully about the differences between moderate/social drinking and something more....

'Nuff said.... lets get back the the screwed up banks!

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@TheCPUWizard said:

AMA (American Medical Association) guidlines state more than three drinks in a 24 hour period is "Excessive" and 6 or more is binge drinking.
    Those numbers were pulled out of someone's ass and have not been scientifically researched. And each country's 'guidelines' are different - the only thing they all have in common is: they're bollocks.

• @PJH said:

@TheCPUWizard said:
    AMA (American Medical Association) guidlines state more than three drinks in a 24 hour period is "Excessive" and 6 or more is binge drinking.
    Those numbers were pulled out of someone's ass and have not been scientifically researched. And each country's 'guidelines' are different - the only thing they all have in common is: they're bollocks.

You can pull up a quote that is over 25 years old, and ignore everything that has been published since, and still the daily limit is exactly what I quoted, the only issue that Richard Smith had was with the WEEKLY number, and is in no way related to anything I posted.

• @morbiuswilters said:

@Cassidy said:
    In USD?

No, Euros... Yes, USD!

Alright, smartarse - I wasn't making the assumption that $ automatically meant USD.... several other countries also use "dollar" as currency.

@morbiuswilters said:

...Six beers and six mixed drinks in 10 hours isn't really that excessive. I think everybody there has had more to drink, it just looked like a lot because it was 7 people on one tab.

Okay, when you break it down like that it doesn't seem that big after all, but $7 a pint? $10-15 for mixed drinks? That's more than I'd expect to pay, but it's been a while since I've been out on the pop.

Only a few nights ago, a friend out one evening said the bar tab came to around £50 per head for what amounted to  diluted cocktails (she was still fairly coherent at the end of the night) but that was London prices.

• @TheCPUWizard said:

Have they defined what the deem a "drink"?

By that criteria, the Italians (and Spanish) are all drinking excessively by having a glass of red wine with lunch and two with evening dinner.

I've a suspicion that some of these limits are set artifically low not only as an attempt to curb drinking, but also that if someone suffers as a result of "over-consumption" then the limits can be rolled out with "I told you so". Setting the USA limit higher brings the risk of a lawsuit if someone dies within these "safe limits".

Ultimately, alcohol is a poison which the body can negate in small doses. Crash several drinks hard and fast and you'll overwhelm the body's defence mechanism, causing some lasting damage. Spread the drinks over a longer time period and the liver will cope with that intensity.

Those that stress-test their liver on a periodic basis will make it stronger and more effective at combatting larger challenges, improving their alcohol tolerance so everyone has a different limit.

• @Cassidy said:

Ultimately, alcohol is a poison which the body can negate in small doses. Crash several drinks hard and fast and you'll overwhelm the body's defence mechanism, causing some lasting damage. Spread the drinks over a longer time period and the liver will cope with that intensity.

Those that stress-test their liver on a periodic basis will make it stronger and more effective at combatting larger challenges, improving their alcohol tolerance so everyone has a different limit.

Agreement with the first part, unfortunately the second part is a flawed premise. It is more that the bodies reaction ot the stress is reduced and the short term visibily effects reducd (tolerance increased), the damage continues at the same rate, but is not noticed.

• @TheCPUWizard said:

@boomzilla said:

@TheCPUWizard said:

You, sir, need to stop this abominable long term thinking.