I Hate Firefox

• @morbiuswilters said:

@PJH said:
    So stop being lazy and use preview like the rest of us who only use the plain text editor and want to know how others will see our posts. Forums aren't a write-only medium.

I never preview, but then again I know basic HTML so I can tell what my post is going to look like.

I hit Submit then go back and fix it with Edit. Unfortunately, the version I submitted is the one that gets emailed, so it's really a dumb way to do it...

• @blakeyrat said:

@morbiuswilters said:
    @PJH said:
    So stop being lazy and use preview like the rest of us who only use the plain text editor and want to know how others will see our posts. Forums aren't a write-only medium.

I never preview, but then again I know basic HTML so I can tell what my post is going to look like.

I hit Submit then go back and fix it with Edit. Unfortunately, the version I submitted is the one that gets emailed, so it's really a dumb way to do it...

If I typo something I will quickly edit and re-save. Nobody who gets emails has complained yet but if they do I'm just going to tell them it's a CS bug.

• @morbiuswilters said:

@blakeyrat said:
    @morbiuswilters said:
    @PJH said:

If I typo something I will quickly edit and re-save. Nobody who gets emails has complained yet but if they do I'm just going to tell them it's a CS bug.

I say the new edit timeout has made people too careless. Let's adjust it back to 10 seconds.

• @morbiuswilters said:

@nonpartisan said:
    Our DNS/DHCP interface has a server-side bug that prevents it from being useful in Firefox.  (It worked up to about 3.6.15 or so, then some time after that certain key pages just started coming back empty; I presume it's looking at the User-Agent, but I don't know for sure.)  Chrome just flat out doesn't render it right at all.  IE is the only usable browser right now.  There's a bug filed with the company, but so far no love.  Which means I have to go through Citrix to do DNS and DHCP functions via IE, as I don't have it running in Wine under Linux.
    It's not ideal for prolonged use (tends to leak memory) but is fine for in-and-out jobs.

It's not had any development done in ages and it's really flaky for anything except IE6. On my Fedora box I can't get IE7 to run consistently, and despite hinting that 8 and even 9 are in the works, there's nothing to indicate that any work has actually been done to add those engines. If you're looking to run versions of IE on a Mac or Linux, I'd say go with a VM.

• @Lorne Kates said:

@morbiuswilters said:

Coincidentally, Firefox just crashed again. I wasn't even actively using it, just had a single tab open to Gmail. After restarting it with that single tab it's already using 200MB of memory. 200MB for a single tab.. I know memory is cheap but that's not even trying.

FWIW, gmail (as much as I like it) is a bloated motherfucker.  If you have a spike in memory-- gmail. If you disk is thrashing-- gmail.

If your firefox is crashing-- probably gmail. Especially if you have any dev tools running at the same time. For some reason, gmail+firebug = fucked by a horned owl. You can somehow disabled Firebug on gmail, but I've never been able to figure out exactly how. (Again, love firebug, but fuck their docs).

This used to happen to me almost every time I went on Yahoo mail with Firebug enabled. There is an option (I forget where now) to disable Firebug on a site by site basis, so it could well be Firebug that's causing the problem. However, I've not had that happen for a long while (not since Firefox 3.5) so I really think that might just be a red herring.

• @morbiuswilters said:

I didn't mean to imply you'd said otherwise. Scarlet said Firefox gave the same thing as Chrome.
    Sorry; I was going from memory, not having a convenient crashed plugin to check at the time, and obviously I got it wrong.

• @nexekho said:

@boomzilla said:
    I do have to restart it occasionally when a right click menu gets dismissed but leaves a ghost on the screen. It just sits there on top of everything else until I close chrome
    I've seen this with Opera on Linux, as well as a couple of other programs (the bundled image and video viewer with Mint 9) so I assume it's actually a window manager bug.

I get this happen on Opera sometimes too with notifications, but that's because Opera doesn't use the native KNotify (KDE) calls and does it's own thing, so I've got the notifications appear by my desktop task bar on every desktop, even if Opera isn't on them all.

• What reason are we up to to hate Firefox? I lost count.

My computer has been running for about five days straight almost (downloading stuff at night while I'm at work mostly, but I hibernated it last night). I last used Firefox maybe three or four days ago. I opened Firefox just before to test something (specifically, whether or not its private browsing was as stupid as it was last time I used it), and I get this:

[IMG]http://i41.tinypic.com/4nfy0.png[/IMG]

Reasons why this is fucking stupid:

1. I last used Firefox three or four days ago.

2. It's using a paltry 1.5MB of RAM, and about 50% of my CPU. Granted, it's a mobile Core 2 Duo, but that's still no excuse for Firefox to be seemingly do nothing and something stupidly complex at the same time.

• @Douglasac said:

I opened Firefox just before to test something (specifically, whether or not its private browsing was as stupid as it was last time I used it), and I get this:

2. It's using a paltry 1.5MB of RAM, and about 50% of my CPU. Granted, it's a mobile Core 2 Duo, but that's still no excuse for Firefox to be seemingly do nothing and something stupidly complex at the same time.

Ah yes! The exit problems! Sometimes it just take reaaaallllyyyyy looooooonnnnnggggg to quit its process even though the window has already vanished.

And yeah, then you get that dialog.

It's awesomely stupid.

• @Scarlet Manuka said:

I don't really get the browser wars, though. In my experience, which I freely admit is far from universal, pretty much any browser is fine for normal use. Note that my definition of normal use doesn't include having more than say 10 or so tabs open, because I've never seen anyone actually do that; I've only heard people on the internet say they do. Most of the people I see using a browser have at most three or four tabs open. I'm sure if you regularly have 40 tabs open your needs and experience will be different, so go with whatever works for you.

The voice of sense. 

Are you sure you are in the right forums?

• @dhromed said:

@Douglasac said:

I opened Firefox just before to test something (specifically, whether or not its private browsing was as stupid as it was last time I used it), and I get this:

Ah yes! The exit problems! Sometimes it just take reaaaallllyyyyy looooooonnnnnggggg to quit its process even though the window has already vanished.

And yeah, then you get that dialog.

It's awesomely stupid.

How is this thread still alive? Man, I rock at generating page views. Alex should put advertising on the forums and split the take with me 50/50. Of course you assholes would just block the ads to deny me my revenues.

• @Spectre said:

I say the new edit timeout has made people too careless. Let's adjust it back to 10 seconds.

I agree, except for the edit timeouts don't apply to me, so it really wouldn't stop me from abusing the system. Of course if we did that every single thread would end up with a dozen comments bemoaning CS's lack of edit functionality, like we used to have. And when I told people to just preview they'd get all whiny.. you know what, fuck it, let the people edit.

• @Douglasac said:

I've been getting this shit regularly on some desktop machine I've recently used... FF seemed to take an eternity to start, and it looked as though Windows acknowledged the button press but looked as though it believed I wanted to fondle the icon rather than actually wanted to launch that application.

Clicking a second time did nothing. Firing up Task Manager showed two FF processes running, but no way to switch to either.... eventually that dialogue pops up. Killing the tasks in Task Manager then re-launching seems to fix things, so I'm not sure if the initial failures have managed to cache something that makes the second attempt successful.

Thread-Prolonging Discussion: Chris Pendick's Web Developer Toolbar versus Firebug. I understand that there are some compatibility issues between the two so it's safer to use one or t'other. Which do/would you use, and why?

• @Cassidy said:

Chris Pendick's Web Developer Toolbar versus Firebug. I understand that there are some compatibility issues between the two

There are none that I know of and I happily run both.

When in doubt, kill Pederick's toolbar. Firebug is an absolute necessity. The webdev toolbar is a nice-to-have.