Annoying Web Ads

• I've started a practice of grabbing annoying ads from web sites when one of them gets through my filters.  I've put them all in one place so that I can marvel at their horribleness.  You can take a look if you want, but I warn you, this will make your eyes bleed.

http://seaofcrisis.com/ext/annoyingads/

Here's my question WTMF are people thinkng when they make an ad like that?  Don't these people have souls?

• @tofu said:

I've started a practice of grabbing annoying ads from web sites when one of them gets through my filters.  I've put them all in one place so that I can marvel at their horribleness.  You can take a look if you want, but I warn you, this will make your eyes bleed.

Here's my question WTMF are people thinkng when they make an ad like that?  Don't these people have souls?

Now where did I put that seizure medication?

• It would be interesting to see some statistics about the success of such ads. I'll bet that money put toward an ad with a hot chick (or even semi-hot, e.g. Cambrian House) was never spent entirely unwisely. (How you like that? Two adverbs in a row!)

But these wildly animated things? I think maybe they used to work, but most web users have turned against them. I saw a lot of them a few years ago, and almost none now.

My big pet peeve is the 'Scan for Virus Now?' pop ups, which lead to no shortage of confusion among my friends and relatives who don't have much of a clue, God bless 'em.

• @tofu said:

I've started a practice of grabbing annoying ads from web sites when one of them gets through my filters.  I've put them all in one place so that I can marvel at their horribleness.  You can take a look if you want, but I warn you, this will make your eyes bleed.

<FONT face=Tahoma>Maybe this is where these goggles come in handy...</FONT>

• and in a related note, this is the dumbest TV ad that I've ever seen:

Head On - Annoying Headache Commercial – 00:15
    — MyHeadHurty

and no, that hasn't been edited or anything.  I actually saw that on TV, just like that.

"headon, apply directly to the forehead"

a: they repeat it 3 times WITH NOTHING ELSE.  That is

1. annoying as fuck

2. treating customers like idiots "omg, if we don't repeat this three times our idiot customer will forget"

b: at no time do they tell you what the hell the product is actually for.  For all I know it's an acne medication.

Some ad agency actually designed this ad ON PURPOSE, and then showed it to executives at the company that makes the product, and those executives agreed to buy the ad.  So there are about a dozen people that need to be removed from the gene pool.

seriously, wtf?

• @tofu said:

Some ad agency actually designed this ad ON PURPOSE, and then showed it to executives at the company that makes the product, and those executives agreed to buy the ad.  So there are about a dozen people that need to be removed from the gene pool.

seriously, wtf?

Ads like this have only one explanation: the company went with the advertising firm of McMahon & Tate.

• @tofu said:

You need a NSFE warning on those, Not Safe For Epileptics!  I've often wondered if people get fooled by the fake Win32 ads that look sort-of like real dialogs that ask if you want to run a security check now.  Of course, they stand out pretty well in my Gnome Desktop running Firefox.  Nice collection, I'm sure you'll be able to find many, many more.

• aaaakkkk.... Those ads made me want to hurl.  Seriously, I'm not feeling very good after looking at those, maybe I'll take the rest of the day off....  I know, I know, you warned us but damn.  Just.... damn.

edit:  btw, you're right.  Those people must have no souls.

• @tofu said:

and in a related note, this is the dumbest TV ad that I've ever seen:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Is3icfcbmbs&search=headon

and no, that hasn't been edited or anything.  I actually saw that on TV, just like that.

a: they repeat it 3 times WITH NOTHING ELSE.  That is

1. annoying as fuck

2. treating customers like idiots "omg, if we don't repeat this three times our idiot customer will forget"

b: at no time do they tell you what the hell the product is actually for.  For all I know it's an acne medication.

seriously, wtf?

That may be the most annoying commercial I've ever seen.  I know what the product is, I know how to use it, but it's difficult to find words expressing my reluctance to ever buy it.