class tools.Randomizer {

static private var number:Number = 0;

static function getNumber():Number {
            return number++;
        }

}

Random isn't random, but this...

•  Guaranteed to be unique, I guess.

• He should add a random amount to it instead.  As of right now, he will never get any negatives, 0s, or decimals.

<FONT size=3><FONT face=Calibri>And just to get it out of the way… this reminds of an overly abused xkcd that must never be linked: <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p></FONT></FONT>

[mod - you were warned]

• @dhromed said:

Guaranteed to be unique, I guess.

As long as there's only one thread...but then, true randomness is not unique, so I guess that's as ok as anything else about this.

• I don't see a huge problem with this if it is used solely in a testing environment ... adds some ... predictabilty ... when testing something expected to be random.

Much like using a fake system clock which only ticks once every time it is accessed.

• I'm curious why this exists. What is it used for?

• @morbiuswilters said:

I'm curious why this exists. What is it used for?

It is used for generating id's... In multiple production environments.

I wish it was unique, 'cause that would mean it works as intended...

But it is not really a randomizer, but an ID generator.

• @chillisaus said:

@morbiuswilters said:

I'm curious why this exists. What is it used for?

It is used for generating id's... In multiple production environments.

I wish it was unique, 'cause that would mean it works as intended...

But it is not really a randomizer, but an ID generator.

Ah, I see. Also, what language is this?

•  @morbiuswilters said:

Also, what language is this?

colon-type notation suggests Delphi, if I am not mistaken.

Or Pascal.

• @dhromed said:

Or Pascal.

Very unlikely - { } are comment separators in Pascal/Delphi.

•  Heh, this might be TRWTF, but it's ActionScript. 2.0 that is...

• @chillisaus said:

Heh, this might be TRWTF, but it's ActionScript. 2.0 that is...

Server-side actionscript? I didn't even know that was possible..

• @ender said:

@dhromed said:

Or Pascal.

Very unlikely - { } are comment separators in Pascal/Delphi.
    TRWTF.

@zelmak said:

I don't see a huge problem with this if it is used solely in a testing environment ... adds some ... predictabilty ... when testing something expected to be random.

So does srand(0), and that still gives random-looking numbers.

• @morbiuswilters said:

Server-side actionscript?

Who said it was server-side?

• @dhromed said:

@morbiuswilters said:

Server-side actionscript?

Who said it was server-side?

He said it was used for "generating IDs in multiple production environments". That definitely sounds like server-side work to me, but maybe not.

• @Anketam said:

He should add a random amount to it instead.  As of right now, he will never get any negatives, 0s, or decimals.

<font size="3"><font face="Calibri">And just to get it out of the way… this reminds of an overly abused xkcd that must never be linked: </font></font>

[mod - you were warned]

Woohoo! Rosie's *hot*!

[I'm only putting one Rosie here because there's already been enough awfulness in this thread. -TheShadowMod]

• @morbiuswilters said:

He said it was used for "generating IDs in multiple production environments". That definitely sounds like server-side work to me, but maybe not.

Grandma's Facebook open to Farmville = "production environment".

• @D-Coder said:

@Anketam said:

He should add a random amount to it instead.  As of right now, he will never get any negatives, 0s, or decimals.

<FONT size=3><FONT face=Calibri>And just to get it out of the way… this reminds of an overly abused xkcd that must never be linked: </FONT></FONT>  <Rosie picture>

[mod - you were warned]

Woohoo! Rosie's *hot*!

<Hot Rosie Picture>

[I'm only putting one Rosie here because there's already been enough awfulness in this thread. -TheShadowMod]
    The only reason why I have a Rosie picture was I was testing to see if the moderators would catch the forbidden link, and they did.  I was killing over laughing at how fast they caught and fixed it.

• @Anketam said:

The only reason why I have a Rosie picture was I was testing to see if the moderators would catch the forbidden link, and they did.  I was killing over laughing at how fast they caught and fixed it.

Surely this is achievable by a bit of regex on an input filter?

It's not a manual process.. is it?

• @Cassidy said:

@Anketam said:
    Surely this is achievable by a bit of regex on an input filter?

It's not a manual process.. is it?

Well it did not instantly change, so I doubted that it was an auto script, it could be and it just took a while to run, specially if it needed to find a super special awesome picture of Rosie.

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.