"Unfair advantage"



  • @DOA said:

    @blakeyrat said:
    It's basically like the gaming industry is going, "oh hey all those e-sports games we made in 1997 were pretty badass, let's bring them back!"
    If only they'd bring back games without maiming them. Syndicate is out and the idiots turned it into just another FPS. If Warhammer 40K can turn the squad command strategy game into a awesome experience, why can't these guys?

    Wait they did what?  But the point of Syndicate was cramming as much cybernetics as you could into your agents to make them monsterous murder machines.



  • @Peraninth said:

    good third person shooter
     

     I'm gonna have to call the "smart brave nazis" rule here.

    Brave nazis are stupid; smart nazis are cowards; and people who are brave and smart arn't nazis.

    There are good third person games, but they arn't shooters; there are good shooters, but they arn't third person; and there are third person shooters, but they suck.

    (see also: good, fast, cheap: pick any two)



  • @DOA said:

    @blakeyrat said:
    I use my awesome spectacular amazing RAT5 on one of these cheap OfficeMax POSes
    Do yourself a favour. I've got an extra one just for the office.

    Where does my wrist rest?

    @DOA said:

    @blakeyrat said:
    It's basically like the gaming industry is going, "oh hey all those e-sports games we made in 1997 were pretty badass, let's bring them back!"
    If only they'd bring back games without maiming them.

    Tribes: Ascend is spot-on. Maimed my ass, you know not of what you speak.



  • @bgodot said:

    There are good third person games, but they arn't shooters; there are good shooters, but they arn't third person; and there are third person shooters, but they suck.

    Lead and Gold was pretty damned good, it's third-person.



  • @lettucemode said:

    I find it interesting that other forms of media name their genres by content, but video games name their genres by mechanics. So we run into some confusion when describing a game like Mass Effect 3. "It's mostly a third-person shooter with cover and squad mechanics...but also some RPG elements...and then some moral decisions." Whereas if it was a movie we'd say "Sci-Fi action adventure" and be done with it.

    But unlike other forms of media, video games are something we do.  So when I play a video game I am first and foremost choosing what I want to do and then secondary is the theme.

    I would say its like puzzles (or any other physical game).  If I say I want to do a puzzle, the question is what kind of puzzle.  Crossword puzzle or jigsaw puzzle?  Ok jigsaw puzzle.  3-d puzzle or 2-d puzzle? Mosaic picture or regular picture?  Finally maybe I'll choose based on the theme (it better be a picture of puppies or kittens).  Mechanics first, then theme.



  • @blakeyrat said:

    Where does my wrist rest?
    On your trusty gel wrist rest? You do have a separate wrist rest, right? After all no self-respecting PC user would use something as non-modular as a wrist wrest attached to a mousepad. That's Apple talk, and as we all know when you buy into the Apple philosophy the terrorists win.



  • @DOA said:

    On your trusty gel wrist rest? You do have a separate wrist rest, right?

    Dude, I linked to the exact mouse pad I used. I LINKED TO IT. YOU SAW A PICTURE OF IT. YOU KNOW THE ANSWER TO THIS QUESTION.

    @DOA said:

    That's Apple talk, and as we all know when you buy into the Apple philosophy the terrorists win.

    They were about to win, but then Apple made them use iTunes and they lost. That joke didn't work at all, in fact it's fucking awful. But pretend it was funny and laugh anyway.



  • @blakeyrat said:

    Dude, I linked to the exact mouse pad I used. I LINKED TO IT.

    <pedantic dickweek>You linked to a site.. but that site asks me to login and specify a ZIP code.</pd>

    Embed, PLZ?

    On a side-note.. that RAT5 looks pretty... strange, as though someone smashed it then tried to glue the pieces together. What benefits do you find over a "normal" mouse? (ie: which of those promoted features do you use? And do you use it for everyday work also?)

    @blakeyrat said:

    YOU SAW A PICTURE OF IT.

    .. or rather, you presumed we all did.

    Back to the plot: Seems ME3 has a different ending playing multiplayer v single. I've not played either, but curious to know if single-player is hampered in an effort to promote multiplayer.

     

     



  • @Cassidy said:

    that RAT5 looks pretty... strange
     

    You mean it looks absoltely awesome and cool.

     

    Rest assured that it's fully configurable and every spot that your fingers touch will find proper purchase.



  • @SEMI-HYBRID code said:

    and it also flows, but extremely slowly, that's why old windows are thicker on the bottom == deform the image when looking through them
     

    Mandatory XKCD link: http://xkcd.com/843/

    Seriously, I wonder how is it possible that elementary teachers are allowed to spread so much bullshit...



  • @dhromed said:

    Rest assured that it's fully configurable and every spot that your fingers touch will find proper purchase.

    Unless you're left handed



  • @nexekho said:

    @dhromed said:
    Rest assured that it's fully configurable and every spot that your fingers touch will find proper purchase.

    Unless you're left handed
     

    Well stop being left-handed then.



  • @blakeyrat said:

    @lettucemode said:
    I haven't played Mass Effect 2 yet :-( I'll get around to it someday.

    Mass Effect 2 was crap. Frankly I'm surprised anybody who's played ME2 would buy ME3.


    ME2 was really, really disappointing, I agree. I felt like it was just a filler, adding nothing of value to the overall story. The ending of ME1 was: "Sovereign may be dead, but more reapers are coming". The end of ME2 was: "the boring enemy we introduced in this game has been destroyed, but those reapers are still coming". WTF? Oh, and now you work for fucking Cerberus, great!

    Still, in ME3 it looks like we'll finally get down to business, and also tell the Illusive Man to sod off, so I'm optimistic. Still, I'm in no hurry to play it, and Skyrim can keep me busy while I wait and see how ME3 turned out.




  • @Anketam said:

    Ironicly I use a wooden table for a mouse pad.  As far as glass cutting boards are concern, really depends on the quality of the glass.  Glass can scratch very easily, so it could lose some of its nice appeal.  IMO I prefer wood rather than plastic cutting boards, because of how bacteria behaves with them:

     

    Plastic cutting boards commonly contain Microban(R) to keep them clean.

    And I really don't want broken glass or wood splinters in my food.



  • @SCB said:

    And I really don't want broken glass or wood splinters in my food.

    This could only be a real problem if you actually cook like the people in infomercials who don't have whatever awesome product is being hawked.



  • @blakeyrat said:

    @Peraninth said:
    Hmm, and what exactly was crap about it?

    Previous threads.

    I suppose Mass Effect 2 is acceptable if you never read any of the dialog, don't give a shit about your own character's motivations, and really, really, really love Miranda (puke). Basically, if you have zero neural activity, I wager you're a fan of Mass Effect 2.

     

    ME1 was better, ME3 brings back a little of what made ME1 good and ME2 was missing. In any case if you skip the dialog you skip the game. Its basically a repititive covered based shooter (which does play really smoothly I must admit) with very little actual plot; the one thing to break the repetition in ME2 is to take the time and see what characters have to moan about. Sometimes there is some witty banter in there, especially if you lean towards the asshole side of the conversation.

    Two things about Mass Effect are really good: the incredibly rich and detailed universe and the fact that actions in previous games reflect on the sequels. Too bad Bioware isn't able to create games with any depth to match the epic setting they crafted :/ I've always had a love/hate relationship with them. Neverwinter Nights? Really cool technology, really boring content. An RPG needs craploads of loot to find, princesses to rescue and dragons to kill. They even screw that up in Dragon Age - you call it DRAGON Age and then there are almost no dragons in there. What the heck!

     



  • I played the demo for ME2 and discarded it on basis of odd gameplay and odd-looking graphics. I don't have an option on the narrative because I only got to where I lacklusterly shot some dudes during a prison breakout and then I quit because fuck that game. I've never played 1.



  • @Cassidy said:

    that RAT5 looks pretty... strange
     

    @dhromed said:

    You mean it looks absoltely awesome and cool.

    Well... since "ah-sum" has become "most excellent" for the next generation (heavily overused to the point it's lost any meaning), I tend to discount it as a measure of quality.

    I was more thinking it looked like someone had dropped it onto a hard surface and tried desperately to glue the broken pieces back together again in the vain hope I wouldn't notice:

     

    @dhromed said:

    Rest assured that it's fully configurable and every spot that your fingers touch will find proper purchase.

    That bit interested me, actually - I'm more of a claw than a palmer. My old Microsoft Ball Intellimouse has the ball located more towards the fingertips than the palm, meaning more travel with a sweeping wrist gesture. My accuracy diminished terribly in UT when I changed to an optical mouse, not because it was optical but due to the position of the sensor.

     



  • @Peraninth said:

    @DOA said:
    Also if they're going to bring something back it should be the good stuff like Magic Carpet, Terra Nova, Battlezone II and Outcast.

     I'd love to see a well done re-make of X-COM.
    You mean you are not at all interested in the current remake they are doing for X-COM:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdVb4UnqO7A

    <sarcasm>I mean does it not look like it is going to be totally awesome remake of the original</sarcasm>



  • @Cassidy said:

    Well... since "ah-sum" has become "most excellent" for the next generation (heavily overused to the point it's lost any meaning), I tend to discount it as a measure of quality.
     

    Ok, whatever, so what is your general word of approval?

    I find the look of the mouse very attractive and pleasing. When/if I get one, I will surely attempt to acquire a small decepticon rub-on sticker.



  • @dhromed said:

    I played the demo for ME2 and discarded it on basis of odd gameplay and odd-looking graphics. I don't have an option on the narrative because I only got to where I lacklusterly shot some dudes during a prison breakout and then I quit because fuck that game. I've never played 1.

    As previously said, ME1 was a great game, you might enjoy it, ME2 was meh



  • @Cassidy said:

    @blakeyrat said:

    Dude, I linked to the exact mouse pad I used. I LINKED TO IT.

    <pedantic dickweek>You linked to a site.. but that site asks me to login and specify a ZIP code.</pd>

     

    <pedantic dickweed>That isn't the proper use of pedantic dickweed. Blakey's hyperlink was technically accurate and correct, and contained no incorrect information. He did present you with a picture. However, linking to a picture versus embedding it ran contrary to advice he's "given" in the past. Thus, you meant to use the <hypocrite> tag.

    These tags were chosen for a reason. Please obey the specs.

    </pd>

    Also:

    @Cassidy said:

    pedantic [b]dickweek[/b]

     I hereby nominate this to become a real thing. I suggest it takes place over the last few days of February and the first few days of March, so that viscious arguments about what is an isn't a leap year can ensue.

     

     



  • @Lorne Kates said:

    @Cassidy said:
    pedantic dickweek

    I hereby nominate this to become a real thing. I suggest it takes place over the last few days of February and the first few days of March, so that viscious arguments about what is an isn't a leap year can ensue.

    We could also include the first weeks in May and September. In May, non-Americans can do their ignorant superiority routine because Americans don't celebrate May Day, and in September Americans can rub it in the others' faces that the American Labor Day holiday began before the communists usurped traditional May Day celebrations for their own purposes.



  • @dhromed said:

    Ok, whatever, so what is your general word of approval?

    I have several. Usually a long-drawn out moan trumps them all.

    @dhromed said:

    I find the look of the mouse very attractive and pleasing. When/if I get one, I will surely attempt to acquire a small decepticon rub-on sticker.

    It looks more functional than attractive, I'll admit. Not sure if I can justify the cost of one, with what little gaming I do these days (and being a *nix geek, I do more keyboardy stuff) but I certainly could do with a decent mouse.

    @Lorne Kates said:

    These tags were chosen for a reason. Please obey the specs.

    I would, but validator.WTF.com was offline. However, I consider myself suitably dicked - thanks for your correction.

    @Lorne Kates said:

    Also:

    @Cassidy said:

    pedantic dickweek

     I
    hereby nominate this to become a real thing. I suggest it takes place
    over the last few days of February and the first few days of March, so
    that viscious arguments about what is an isn't a leap year can
    ensue.

    You realise this could quickly become another eternal September...

     

     



  • @nexekho said:

    @dhromed said:
    Rest assured that it's fully configurable and every spot that your fingers touch will find proper purchase.

    Unless you're left handed

    Why would I be that? Then I wouldn't be able to use my badass mouse.



  • @dargor17 said:

    what's with Bioware and sequels?

    I already told you the answer to this: they got bought by EA. About 47 milliseconds after that happened, everybody at Bioware who gave a flying shit left the company and the shovelware started up. How is this surprising to anybody over the age of 6? That's what EA does.



  • @Lorne Kates said:

    However, linking to a picture versus embedding it ran contrary to advice he's "given" in the past.

    News to me.



  • @blakeyrat said:

    @dargor17 said:
    what's with Bioware and sequels?

    I already told you the answer to this: they got bought by EA. About 47 milliseconds after that happened, everybody at Bioware who gave a flying shit left the company and the shovelware started up. How is this surprising to anybody over the age of 6? That's what EA does.

    It is a little sad.  EA are like the pros of ruining good companies.



  • @Anketam said:

    You mean you are not at all interested in the current remake they are doing for X-COM:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdVb4UnqO7A

    <sarcasm>I mean does it not look like it is going to be totally awesome remake of the original</sarcasm>

    That.  I don't even know what to say.  Where does the XCOM come in?



  • @blakeyrat said:

    @Lorne Kates said:
    However, linking to a picture versus embedding it ran contrary to advice he's "given" in the past.

    News to me.

    I assume this is related to ad blockers, since a hotlink effectively prevents the viewing of any ads that would otherwise be displayed at the source page.



  • @Peraninth said:

    @Anketam said:
    You mean you are not at all interested in the current remake they are doing for X-COM:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdVb4UnqO7A

    <sarcasm>I mean does it not look like it is going to be totally awesome remake of the original</sarcasm>

    That.  I don't even know what to say.  Where does the XCOM come in?
    But do not fear Firaxis is making a remake that might actually live up to the name:

    XCOM: Enemy Unknown Deep Dive Trailer [HD] – 06:00
    — Machinima

    There is probably some evil plotting going on by releasing a horrible X-COM game and then later in the same year release a possibly good X-COM game.  Maybe they are trying to destroy our expectations so that when Firaxis' version comes out we are more grateful and will be more tolerant of any meh parts.

     



  • @boomzilla said:

    @blakeyrat said:
    @Lorne Kates said:
    However, linking to a picture versus embedding it ran contrary to advice he's "given" in the past.

    News to me.

    I assume this is related to ad blockers, since a hotlink effectively prevents the viewing of any ads that would otherwise be displayed at the source page.

    Yeah my theory is that people just like to pull shit out of their ass, then claim I said it.



  • @blakeyrat said:

    @Lorne Kates said:
    However, linking to a picture versus embedding it ran contrary to advice he's "given" in the past.

    News to me.

     

    I think I'm remembering a different user's rebuke of someone posting a link rather than a screenshot, but this one is [url="http://forums.thedailywtf.com/forums/p/24445/255606.aspx"]Close enough

    								    [/url]:</p><p>@blakeyrat said:<blockquote></p><p>Just says "permission denied." Do you have a screenshot or something?What's with you non-screenshot-taking people. </p><p></blockquote> <br></p><p><br></p>


  • @blakeyrat said:

    @nexekho said:
    Unless you're left handed

    Why would I be that?

     

    So that at every single party and social function you go to, you can revel people with the fact that you're sinister-- because the definition of sinister is [i]left handed[/i]. They'll be in shock, and then in awe at your staggering and deep understanding of the dazzling mysteries of language. Their lives will be forever changed by this fact. They shall never tire of this revelation, and it will be an endless well of amazement that you can draw on. You will be unto [b]a god[/b].

     
    Aside from that? Can't think of one good reason.{shrug} I dunno-- you like playing life on the "difficult" setting?



  • @Lorne Kates said:

    @blakeyrat said:
    @Lorne Kates said:
    However, linking to a picture versus embedding it ran contrary to advice he's "given" in the past.
    News to me.
    I think I'm remembering a different user's rebuke of someone posting a link rather than a screenshot, but this one is Close enough:@blakeyrat said:
    Just says "permission denied." Do you have a screenshot or something?What's with you non-screenshot-taking people.

    The fact that you probably spent several minutes Googling for that makes me laugh.

    But since you're being retarded, let's go ahead and go full-retard and put this out in the open: a thread with an amusing bug that affects dozens of people is likely (and was, in that case) to be pulled-down. A Staples product page for a boring office mousepad is not.

    Context. Fucking. Matters. If you remove the message from the context, you change the message. Now stop being stupid.

    BTW, did you really type two lines consisting of nothing but whitespace, or is that a Community Server-ism I haven't seen before?



  • @blakeyrat said:

    But since you're being retarded, let's go ahead and go full-retard

    NEVER go full retard.



  • @blakeyrat said:

    Fucking. Matters. If you remove the message from the context, you change the message. Now stop being stupid.

    Hey, if it weren't for Fucking, none of us would be here today.



  • @blakeyrat said:

    The fact that you probably spent several minutes Googling for that makes me laugh.
     

    Me too. It's a very dull Friday.

    But you did ask for proof...

    @blakeyrat said:

    BTW, did you really type two lines consisting of nothing but whitespace, or is that a Community Server-ism I haven't seen before?

     Community Server wasn't designed to be used

     



  • @boomzilla said:

    @blakeyrat said:
    Fucking. Matters. If you remove the message from the context, you change the message. Now stop being stupid.

    Hey, if it weren't for Fucking, none of us would be here today.

     

    Why?  Where would we be instead?



  • @da Doctah said:

    @boomzilla said:

    @blakeyrat said:
    Fucking. Matters. If you remove the message from the context, you change the message. Now stop being stupid.
    Hey, if it weren't for Fucking, none of us would be here today.
     

    Why?  Where would we be instead?

    Your dads sock.



  • @TwelveBaud said:

    @lettucemode said:
    what really sells me on them is the unnecessary features they often have, "unnecessary" in this case being used as a synonym for "awesome". ... Recently, I shelled out for a Razer Naga because it has 12 extra thumb buttons on the side, and I can map actions there instead of stretching my left hand to reach the number keys for stuff.
    Ugh, I never liked those things, because of how badly companies fumble at carrying them out. Use our Special Driver Software (otherwise the buttons do nothing)! You can map them to any key on the keyboard (except Compose, F16, Win, Scroll Lock... and forget about mapping them to be "the fourth and fifth buttons on the mouse", because everyone knows they don't exist...)! You can map them to whole lists of keys (which aren't sensitive to context, which can result in mode errors)!

    It would be absolutely amazing to have a mouse that had two (or more) extra buttons, and actually exposed them as extra buttons, so I can bind them to whatever the hell I want in game. Games support X1 and X2, so why do mouse manufacturers stubbornly refuse?
     

    I'll be honest, I only use a 5 button mouse, and I find the fifth button to be in an irritating spot so I never use it.

    Since my main FPS is Team Fortress 2, I have button 4 set to the "close annoying popups" button (also doubles as decline trade) to get rid of messages.  Granted, the frequency of those messages has gone down since Strange weapon upgrades are now broadcast in chat rather than as popups...

    Maybe I should bind it to something more useful.

    Then again, I don't use that many non-standard keybinds in games.  Sure, I unbound R (the reload key) and rebound "change disguise team" in its place, but that combined with the Concise disguise kit allows me to choose a Spy disguise lightning fast, so long as my ping is under 120... if it's over 120 or so, I actually hit the change disguise keys faster than the server can process it.  Or something, because it fails to work correctly and leaves me with the disguise kit open and only one of the disguise keys processed.

    I bet you'd never have guessed from my Avatar and location that I played TF2!!!

    On a side note, I actually have a wireless Xbox 360 controller adapter connected to my PC.  However, it's not for FPS games, it's for when I'm emulating games or playing 2D games in general (Braid and the like).



  • @C-Octothorpe said:

    @da Doctah said:

    @boomzilla said:

    @blakeyrat said:
    Fucking. Matters. If you remove the message from the context, you change the message. Now stop being stupid.
    Hey, if it weren't for Fucking, none of us would be here today.
     

    Why?  Where would we be instead?

    Your dads sock.

    What all of us would be doing in "da Doctah"'s dad sock?



  • @serguey123 said:

    What all of us would be doing in "da Doctah"'s dad sock?
     

    His dad's sock is a raging slut.



  • @Anketam said:

    But do not fear Firaxis is making a remake that might actually live up to the name:

    XCOM: Enemy Unknown Deep Dive Trailer [HD] – 06:00
    — Machinima

    That actually looks pretty good.  And there are aliens too!



  • @Peraninth said:

    @Anketam said:

    But do not fear Firaxis is making a remake that might actually live up to the name:

    XCOM: Enemy Unknown Deep Dive Trailer [HD] – 06:00
    — Machinima

    That actually looks pretty good.  And there are aliens too!

    I just saw the video without sound, but it does indeed look pretty good. Maybe I should try again to finish the first X-COM (after I'm done with Uncharted 3, Assassin's Creed: Revelations, Little Big Planet 2 [what?], SpaceChem, Frozen Synapse, Portal 2, ...)

    @Top-voted comment on YouTube for that video said:

    I could cut glass with my erection right now.
    And now this thread has gone full circle.

        <div class="comment-text" dir="ltr">
          
    
        </div>
    
      
    </div>


  • @Zecc said:

    @Peraninth said:
    @Anketam said:

    But do not fear Firaxis is making a remake that might actually live up to the name:

    XCOM: Enemy Unknown Deep Dive Trailer [HD] – 06:00
    — Machinima

    That actually looks pretty good.  And there are aliens too!

    I just saw the video without sound, but it does indeed look pretty good. Maybe I should try again to finish the first X-COM (after I'm done with Uncharted 3, Assassin's Creed: Revelations, Little Big Planet 2 [what?], SpaceChem, Frozen Synapse, Portal 2, ...)

    @Top-voted comment on YouTube for that video said:

    I could cut glass with my erection right now.
    And now this thread has gone full circle.

        <div class="comment-text">
          
    
        </div>
    
      
    </div><p></blockquote>&nbsp;</p><p>AssRev shouldn't take you too long. I found it narratively <i>very </i>rewarding, but gameplay-wise More Of Same. I'm stoked about AssCreed III, in early America.<br></p><p>But, I am interested in Frozen Synapse. Its core turn-based mechanic is similar to XCOM, is it not? <br></p><p>&nbsp;</p>


  • @dhromed said:

    AssRev shouldn't take you too long. I found it narratively very rewarding, but gameplay-wise More Of Same.
    I've been playing it less than once per week, so it's going to last.
    Narratively it hasn't me that enthused, but then again I've been mostly screwing around the place rather than following the main memories.

    @dhromed said:
    I'm stoked about AssCreed III, in early America.
    I haven't been keeping myself up-to-date in terms of upcoming games, so I didn't know about this.
    Wikia mentions using human shields, hunting, and attacks based on speed and momentum, so mark myself interested. I'm hoping for sniping too, since rifles are predicted.

    @dhromed said:
    But, I am interested in Frozen Synapse. Its core turn-based mechanic is similar to XCOM, is it not?
    Yes, but with combat happening in only "2D + 2 heights" and without the whole capture, research and base building aspects which made XCOM much more interesting IMO. It's an okay game. Probably more fun when played against friends.

    Btw, anyone tried Vessel?  I might add it to my ever-growing list of games I intend to eventually play. I tend to favour indie games because I'm a cheapskate I think they deserve more love. I just might have to try the demo tonight.



  • @dhromed said:

    AssRev shouldn't take you too long. I found it narratively very rewarding, but gameplay-wise More Of Same.

    So the cops still try to kill you if you ride a horse?

    Someday I will live in a world where people play a shitty game, and don't buy the shitty sequel to it. Sadly, this is not that world.



  • @blakeyrat said:

    So the cops still try to kill you if you ride a horse?
     

    They fixed that!

    Because there are no horses in AssRev.

    They also tried to kill you if you didn't ride a horse.

    @blakeyrat said:

    Someday I will live in a world where people play a shitty game, and don't buy the shitty sequel to it. Sadly, this is not that world.
     

    I didn't think it was a shitty game.



  • @dhromed said:

    @blakeyrat said:
    Someday I will live in a world where people play a shitty game, and don't buy the shitty sequel to it. Sadly, this is not that world.

    I didn't think it was a shitty game.

    Clearly, you must now denounce yourself.


Log in to reply
 

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.