"Unfair advantage"

• @erikal said:

@blakeyrat said:

Yeah, Serious Sam 1 was episodic. Until they gave that up after two episodes, as all game companies that do episodic content do...

Valve does not equal "all game companies".

I actually looked that up after I typed it here, and I only found 2 games that made it past 2 episodes. So I think it works pretty well. IIRC they were Wallis and Grimit's Adventure, and that Monkey Island remake/sequel/whatever it is. They went 4 and 5 episodes respectively.

• @blakeyrat said:

I actually looked that up after I typed it here, and I only found 2 games that made it past 2 episodes. So I think it works pretty well. IIRC they were Wallis and Grimit's Adventure, and that Monkey Island remake/sequel/whatever it is. They went 4 and 5 episodes respectively.

Well, now I have to ask for your definition of "episode". Does it have to be called "episode"?

Do Assassin's Creed II / Brotherhood / Revelation count as episodes, because they use the same protagonist and Word Of God says that the next asscreed is, in fact, AssCreed III, and not V? Half-Life 2 appears to count as episodic because it's awlays been explicitly labeled that way, but why isn't the original Half-Life episode -1, since it uses the same protagonist? The timeframe?

So is it "episode" when same protagonist && same time, but "major game version" when either of those is false?

Do we count game engine changes?

I don't mean to debunk you or whatever, just trying to add some rigidity to the process so that we can make useful predictions.

Or we could all just go for beer and play some coop game or whatever.

• @dhromed said:

@blakeyrat said:

Well, now I have to ask for your definition of "episode". Does it have to be called "episode"?

Indeed. I would call all the expansions to Guild Wars and World of Warcraft also "episodes" as they add unique story content that hook into the whole. Its too vague a term, you can't ever get a proper consensus here because everyone will have his/her own definition of it.

Plus we're all pigheaded assholes who disagree for the fun of it. I've not been here long, but I know the deal...

• @erikal said:

I've not been here long, but I know the deal...

No you don't.

• ♿ (Parody)

@dhromed said:

@erikal said:

No you don't.

Yes he does.

• @boomzilla said:

@dhromed said:
    @erikal said:

No you don't.

Yes he does.

This isn't an argument, it's just contradiction.

• @morbiuswilters said:

@boomzilla said:
    @dhromed said:
    @erikal said:
    No you don't.
    Yes he does.

Yes it is.

• ♿ (Parody)

@Sutherlands said:

@morbiuswilters said:
    @boomzilla said:
    @dhromed said:
    @erikal said:

No you don't.

Yes he does.

Yes it is.

• @boomzilla said:

@Sutherlands said:
    @morbiuswilters said:
    @boomzilla said:
    @dhromed said:
    @erikal said:

No you don't.

Yes he does.

Yes it is.

The guy on the left is obviously a retard because he's still using a CRT. Also, anyone who gives up on arguing just because they've had to look into the eyes of their enemies is a pussy. I know all of you are fellow humans with hopes, dreams and lives, and I just don't care.

• @morbiuswilters said:

I know all of you are fellow humans with hopes, dreams and lives, and I just don't care.
    Hey, what makes you so sure I've got hopes and dreams?

Edit: actually, I've seen the video about the guys remaking XCOM, so I guess I do have something to long for.

• @Zecc said:

@morbiuswilters said:

I know all of you are fellow humans with hopes, dreams and lives, and I just don't care.
    Hey, what makes you so sure I've got hopes and dreams?

True, most people on this site are probably too dead inside to have hopes and dreams any more.

• ♿ (Parody)

@morbiuswilters said:

True, most people on this site are probably too dead inside to have hopes and dreams any more.

You say that like it's a bad thing.

Dilbert.com

• @morbiuswilters said:

The guy on the left is obviously a retard because he's still using a CRT. Also, anyone who gives up on arguing just because they've had to look into the eyes of their enemies is a pussy. I know all of you are fellow humans with hopes, dreams and lives, and I just don't care.
    The way I see it, it's not so much that you stop arguing, but that you stop being a complete dickwad.

• @Sutherlands said:

@morbiuswilters said:

The way I see it, it's not so much that you stop arguing, but that you stop being a complete dickwad.

I'm sorry, I don't understand the difference.

• @morbiuswilters said:

The guy on the left is obviously a retard because he's still using a CRT.

I still use a CRT, you twatcrumpler.

• ♿ (Parody)

@dhromed said:

you twatcrumpler

...not sure if negative...

• @dhromed said:

@morbiuswilters said:

I've never seen a CRT that was sharper than a good LCD, but so be it.

• @boomzilla said:

@dhromed said:
    you twatcrumpler

...not sure if negative...

Crumpled it like an Arkansas Mansion in a tornado.

• @dhromed said:

2002 called. They want their monitor back.

• @DOA said:

@dhromed said:

2002 called. They want their monitor back.

They can have the monitor, I want 2002 back :(

• ♿ (Parody)

TRWTF is that Amazon is now sending me emails about new cutting boards.

• @boomzilla said:

If you think that is bad, I bought my sister a changing table for her new baby, and now I am getting maternity related emails from Amazon.  What is funny is how it mixes it with the normal recommendations for me.  So amongst all the technical and gaming related recommendations are random maternity items.

• ♿ (Parody)

@Anketam said:

@boomzilla said:

If you think that is bad, I bought my sister a changing table for her new baby, and now I am getting maternity related emails from Amazon.  What is funny is how it mixes it with the normal recommendations for me.  So amongst all the technical and gaming related recommendations are random maternity items.

But at least that's based on something you actually bought.

• @Anketam said:

@boomzilla said:

That may be on purpose. Read this highly interesting article:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kashmirhill/2012/02/16/how-target-figured-out-a-teen-girl-was-pregnant-before-her-father-did/

• @morbiuswilters said:

I've never seen a CRT that was sharper than a good LCD, but so be it.

I said that [since we all know thta CRTs are less sharp] it hides some tiny level of blurriness because it is less revealing of it.

In other words, this image with half a pixel of blur looks blurry on my LCD but sharp on my CRT because the CRT's innate non-sharpness hides the blur of the image.

Only works for tiny blur radii, of course, such as text antialias, or the blur incurred by upsampling an image to, say, 150%.

• @Anketam said:

@boomzilla said:
    If you think that is bad, I bought my sister a changing table for her new baby, and now I am getting maternity related emails from Amazon. What is funny is how it mixes it with the normal recommendations for me. So amongst all the technical and gaming related recommendations are random maternity items.

Check the little "this is a gift" box on your order, and it'll stop using it for recommendations. FYI.

• @blakeyrat said:

@Anketam said:
    @boomzilla said:
    If you think that is bad, I bought my sister a changing table for her new baby, and now I am getting maternity related emails from Amazon. What is funny is how it mixes it with the normal recommendations for me. So amongst all the technical and gaming related recommendations are random maternity items.
    Check the little "this is a gift" box on your order, and it'll stop using it for recommendations. FYI.
    So that is what that box was for, thank you for telling me that.   As for the Target thing, yes I know they do it, I have already said once that Google knows me better than I know myself.  Kudos to Target for developing such a good money making system, and the father has my pity (even though on the inside I was lmao). 

• @Anketam said:

So that is what that box was for, thank you for telling me that.

Well it also gives you a gift receipt and shows wrapping options.

Amazon used to have a page where you could have it show you every item you ever bought, and next to each one you could rate it or check a box that says "don't make recommendations based on this item." I have no idea where to find that now...

• @dhromed said:

@morbiuswilters said:

So.. morbs is right, for once?

@boomzilla said:

Wood or glass?

I'd avoid the latter - you may find them thicker at one end than the other.

• ♿ (Parody)

@Cassidy said:

@boomzilla said:

Wood or glass?

Both, actually. Plus, an emory board snuck in there. Actually, the thickness wouldn't worry me so much as that putting it in the dishwasher might turn it from a supercooled liquid to just a cooled liquid. And then it goes down the drain.

• @boomzilla said:

@Cassidy said:
    @boomzilla said:

Wood or glass?

Both, actually. Plus, an emory board snuck in there. Actually, the thickness wouldn't worry me so much as that putting it in the dishwasher might turn it from a supercooled liquid to just a cooled liquid. And then it goes down the drain.

And then of course it resupercools in your pipes and thus clogs them.  And drain cleaner is not design to remove glass, so good luck trying to clear it.

• @Anketam said:

And then of course it resupercools in your pipes and thus clogs them.  And drain cleaner is not design to remove glass, so good luck trying to clear it.

If he just waits awhile the glass will flow out into the sewer.

• @morbiuswilters said:

If he just waits awhile the glass will flow out into the sewer.

Not if it's stuck in the drain trap. An easy way to check for this is to go home and measure the diameter of the trap under the dishwasher. If it's wider at the bottom (even very slightly) than the vertical portion of the pipe, that's a sure sign there's supercooled glass in there.

• @SEMI-HYBRID code said:

@dhromed said:

@PJH said:

Glass cutting boards tend to have 'feet' on the corners, so they could bend:

Glass that bends?

and it also flows, but extremely slowly, that's why old windows are thicker on the bottom == deform the image when looking through them

A laptop screen can bend quite a lot before breaking. Just try pulling the screen open by one corner and watch it twist.

And fibreglass reinforced skis , archery bows and boats are all examples of glass bending and stretching.

You can push the middle of the glass chopping boards onto the work top easily.

• @mikedjames said:

A laptop screen can bend quite a lot before breaking. Just try pulling the screen open by one corner and watch it twist.
    That's not glass. It's a plastic and shame on you for ruining a good lcd.

@mikedjames said:

And fibreglass reinforced skis , archery bows and boats are all examples of glass bending and stretching.
    That's fibreglass, which is only glass in the sense that plywood and particleboard are wood.

• @mikedjames said:

You can push the middle of the glass chopping boards onto the work top easily.

Pics or it didn't happen.

• @mrsparkyman said:

@mikedjames said:

That's not glass. It's a plastic and shame on you for ruining a good lcd.

@mikedjames said:

That's fibreglass, which is only glass in the sense that plywood and particleboard are wood.

Maybe Mike "D" James was being pedantic and referring to the chemical categorization of "a glass". Which includes most plastics. And cooled candle wax.

• @dhromed said:

Maybe Mike "D" James was being pedantic and referring to the chemical categorization of "a glass". Which includes most plastics. And cooled candle wax.

I love it when people pretend to be retarded in order the show how smart they are. "Allow me to demonstrate my vast knowledge by failing to follow a simple conversation."

• @morbiuswilters said:

@dhromed said:

I love it when people pretend to be retarded in order the show how smart they are. "Allow me to demonstrate my vast knowledge by failing to follow a simple conversation."

+1 Favorite

• @blakeyrat said:

@morbiuswilters said:
    @dhromed said:

+1 Favorite

Isn't this type of post very common here?..... I thought you people were used to it by now