Photo Enlarged

• @boomzilla said:

In fact, in a city in the US, you're less likely to have a natural / backup source of water (at least, one that you'd consider for drinking) or something combustible to boil your water.

Water maybe but flammable material?  Most people there have cars right? Or wood made furniture? Or paper? or... the list could go on but I hope you get the point.

@boomzilla said:

I live in a major suburban area. There are some small pond-like lakes in the area, but none that I'm aware of are less than a few miles away. In good conditions, I could certainly walk there, though I wouldn't want to have to carry gallons of water back. And in bad conditions, e.g., snow, that could be extremely difficult / unsafe

Don't walk then, use either a man or otherwise powered device to carry the water.

If it is raining, collect the rain water and if there is snow then you can melt it, no need to go to the water when it comes to you.

@boomzilla said:

It's usually in earthquake prone areas that you're advised to keep something on hand

There are no earthquakes in my area but there is another type of natural disaster that happens somewhat frequently making things "interesting"

• @serguey123 said:

Yes, I know, that is why I asked if there was a body of water nearby, if there was, which is normally the case for human settlements then you can use it instead of tap water.

Pop quiz: what's the natural source of fresh water if you live in, say, downtown Seattle? Sure, there's tons of water-- an entire Puget Sound's worth-- but good luck drinking it.

And that's not even getting into really crazy cities like Las Vegas. At least it rains here.

@serguey123 said:

In my case my house has a private water reservoir because water supplies in third world contries is unstable sometimes (at least once a week) but I don't go everywhere with several water bottles in tow just because.

Stop pretending you live in some banana republic and not fucking Maine.

@serguey123 said:

If you don't have electricity you can purify water without, as I pointed out but you can also use a flammable material to heat it to a boiling point.

So I'm in Seattle, the Big One happened, the water mains are all either destroyed or have no pumping capability and I'm thirsty. You recommend, what, tearing the wood doors and windows from my house and burning them? And the other million people near me? While the roads are impassable for fire trucks? ... yeah, that's a sensible plan. You should start a new career in disaster planning, you're really good at this.

@serguey123 said:

As I said my main drive is curiosity, maybe it is a good idea to stick emergency supplies in disaster prone areas but why would somebody would continue to live there is beyond me.

1. There's no place on Earth immune to natural disaster. Fuck, there's no place on Earth immune to unpredictable earthquakes, although they are extraordinarily rare in some locations. Obviously, Western Washington is just waiting for another earthquake, but who called the one in Haiti a couple years back? I know I was flabbergasted, there was a major earthquake in... Haiti?! Look, if you are caught in a disaster and you can't last a week without outside assistance, you're a useless heap of human being. IMO. And no, I'm not Mormon, I'm not sharing my water with you, fuck off.

2) Maybe because the awesomeness of this location 99% of the time makes up for the 1% of the time that I'm affected by disaster? Hell, one of the very reasons this area is so awesome is because we're collectively prepared for disaster-- the shit that happened in New Orleans during the Katrina hurricane can't happen here because we do things like, gasp repair broken equipment (pumping stations), regularly inspect and repair our dikes, don't have a government plagued by graft and corruption and which begs and pleads the Feds to bail us out at the slightest problem. (BTW, California is guilty of that too. Stop declaring Federal emergencies for wildfires, you have them every year they're practically fucking scheduled that does not meet the definition of "emergency.)

Anyway, Serguey, I recommend you stop posting here, because every post you make helps you look dumber.

*) BTW, I keep my supplies in my car because if I'm at home, my car is also at home. If I'm somewhere else, then it's likely (although not certain) that my car is in reach. If there really is a Big One, it's also likely I'd end up living out of my car for awhile anyway.

• Trolleybus Mechanic

@serguey123 said:

I never understood this, maybe because I'm almost a shut in that have lived most of his life in a city but what could be the scenario where you need several water bottles in the middle of civilization?

In addition, if you're in an apartment and the power goes out, that usually takes out the water pumps. No water for the top floors. A few bottles of potable on hand would be a nice convenience.

• @blakeyrat said:

@serguey123 said:
    I'm not saying you shouldn't prepare for the worst but it seems sometimes that some people worry to the point of paranoia.
    Keeping a 12-pack of water bottles in my car in case of emergency is the point of paranoia for you? Geez, wait until you find out I have a fire extinguisher too. Your head will explode.

No, it isn't, I never said that, however you are the first person I ever heard of actually having a fire extinguisher, hmmm, now that I think of it they are rare here.

@nonpartisan said:

Considered.  Rejected.

The Portland, Oregon, area is a good place to be.  Very little extreme weather -- no hurricanes, no major tornadoes (although it seems like I'm hearing about smaller tornadoes more often around here), generally no significant snowstorms (significant to me being more than about half a foot -- although get a couple of inches around here and it paralyzes the city).  But I keep getting told about a 1/3rd chance of a 9.0+ earthquake in the next 50 years.  Considering that tornadoes in the midwest are a given, hurricanes on the east coast are a given, hot weather in the south is a given . . . I'll take my chances that I'm going to get hit with a 9.0 earthquake in my lifetime.

As long as you are ok with it fine, but both hurricanes and tornadoes can be somewhat predicted and with proper precaution they are only a bother, earthquakes not so much.

@blakeyrat said:

Pop quiz: what's the natural source of fresh water if you live in, say, downtown Seattle? Sure, there's tons of water-- an entire Puget Sound's worth-- but good luck drinking it.

And that's not even getting into really crazy cities like Las Vegas. At least it rains here

Thats why I said normally, not always

@blakeyrat said:

Stop pretending you live in some banana republic and not fucking Maine.
      Why do you keep changing the state then?

@blakeyrat said:

So I'm in Seattle, the Big One happened, the water mains are all either destroyed or have no pumping capability and I'm thirsty. You recommend, what, tearing the wood doors and windows from my house and burning them? And the other million people near me? While the roads are impassable for fire trucks? ... yeah, that's a sensible plan. You should start a new career in disaster planning, you're really good at this.

So you are incapable of making a decent bonfire?

@blakeyrat said:

there was a major earthquake in... Haiti?!

Haiti was fucked before the earthquake

@blakeyrat said:

Look, if you are caught in a disaster and you can't last a week without outside assistance, you're a useless heap of human  being.

I agree

@blakeyrat said:

I'm not sharing my water with you, fuck off.

I'm a better human than you then

@blakeyrat said:

Serguey, I recommend you stop posting here, because every post you make helps you look dumber.

That is impossible, there is a maximun level of dumbness.  However if I was to categorize myself I would aim more at clueless than dumb.

@Lorne Kates said:

In addition, if you're in an apartment and the power goes out, that usually takes out the water pumps. No water for the top floors. A few bottles of potable on hand would be a nice convenience.

Use the toilet tank

• ♿ (Parody)

@serguey123 said:

As long as you are ok with it fine, but both hurricanes and tornadoes can be somewhat predicted and with proper precaution they are only a bother, earthquakes not so much.

Most earthquakes are less than a bother.

• @serguey123 said:

So you are incapable of making a decent bonfire?

So you have a block of condo buildings, let's say average height 30 stories, number of residents 2000 or so. Where exactly do you build this bonfire where it won't burn down half the city?

@serguey123 said:

@blakeyrat said:
    there was a major earthquake in... Haiti?!
    Haiti was fucked before the earthquake

Yes, but that doesn't mean the earthquake wasn't surprising.

... what's the deal with people writing "replies" that aren't actually replies?

• ♿ (Parody)

@blakeyrat said:

Where exactly do you build this bonfire where it won't burn down half the city?

Unlike us, serguey lives in a place where that would probably be an improvement.

• @blakeyrat said:

So you have a block of condo buildings, let's say average height 30 stories, number of residents 2000 or so. Where exactly do you build this bonfire where it won't burn down half the city?

Outside in a public area, far away from the buildings, you do have those right?

@blakeyrat said:

... what's the deal with people writing "replies" that aren't actually replies?

Earthquakes in my area are rare, the fact that one hitted Haiti barely registered with me, so as I'm not interested in Haiti or earthquakes, it did not surprised me one bit.  What surprised me was the fact that it became news and people tried to pretend they cared even when Haiti's people were fucked prior to the disaster

• @serguey123 said:

Quoted for cluelessness. Tornadoes are one of the least predictable natural disasters.

• @serguey123 said:

Water maybe but flammable material?  Most people there have cars right? Or wood made furniture? Or paper? or... the list could go on but I hope you get the point.

Are you actually suggesting burning a car to boil water? Or just stupidly running the engine (and burning lots of gas) in order to boil water on it?

And furniture? Yeah, power's out for 4 days, let's hack up the $2000 coffee table and burn it on the front lawn so we can boil some water. Makes perfect fucking sense. And paper? Paper burns too goddamn fast to be of much use for anything. If I took all of the paper in my house and lit it on fire it would burn out in a minute or so. Do you know the first fucking thing about fire?

• inb4 "in Hyderabad" post.

• @boomzilla said:

@blakeyrat said:
    Where exactly do you build this bonfire where it won't burn down half the city?
    Unlike us, serguey lives in a place where that would probably be an improvement.

Fires makes the land more fertile ;)

• @morbiuswilters said:

@serguey123 said:
    Quoted for cluelessness. Tornadoes are one of the least predictable natural disasters.

Tornadoes require some specific wheather condition to occur, you can't predict them exactly because you can't predict the wheather exactly.  That is why you have tornado season and specific places where they happen frequently.

Are you actually suggesting burning a car to boil water? Or just stupidly running the engine (and burning lots of gas) in order to boil water on it?

@morbiuswilters said:

And furniture? Yeah, power's out for 4 days, let's hack up the $2000 coffee table and burn it on the front lawn so we can boil some water. Makes perfect fucking sense. And paper? Paper burns too goddamn fast to be of much use for anything. If I took all of the paper in my house and lit it on fire it would burn out in a minute or so. Do you know the first fucking thing about fire?

Would you rather die?

• ♿ (Parody)

@serguey123 said:

@morbiuswilters said:

Would you rather die?

No, you idiot, that's why we keep shit like bottled water around.

• @serguey123 said:

Tornadoes require some specific wheather condition to occur, you can't predict them exactly because you can't predict the wheather exactly.

Which is what I said--tornadoes are unpredictable as fuck.

@serguey123 said:

Would you rather die?

No, I'd rather store a few days worth of supplies so I'm not on my lawn burning my furniture like some kind of fucking retard. I guess that makes me paranoid.

• @serguey123 said:

Would you rather die?

Serguey has gone full-retard in this thread.

• @blakeyrat said:

I already fucking admitted I should get the metal water cans so what the fuck is wrong with you people I hate you all! I already conceded your point, you don't need to keep "convincing" me to concede that point!

I was not trying to convice you, I wanted to share my experience with my own carelessness and the result of my own stupidity.  Nothing more nothing less.

@blakeyrat said:

@Anketam said:
    So if an earthquake hits that is severe enough to knock out water and not kill me clean water won’t be a problem.
    What makes you assume that stream water will continue to be clean after an earthquake? Or... that the stream won't be diverted altogether?
    Hence why I pointed out other sources of water that were also near by just incase things really got messed up or extremely contaminated (like idiot neighbors deciding to use it as a toilet). 

• @serguey123 said:

@nonpartisan said:

Considered.  Rejected.

The Portland, Oregon, area is a good place to be.  Very little extreme weather -- no hurricanes, no major tornadoes (although it seems like I'm hearing about smaller tornadoes more often around here), generally no significant snowstorms (significant to me being more than about half a foot -- although get a couple of inches around here and it paralyzes the city).  But I keep getting told about a 1/3rd chance of a 9.0+ earthquake in the next 50 years.  Considering that tornadoes in the midwest are a given, hurricanes on the east coast are a given, hot weather in the south is a given . . . I'll take my chances that I'm going to get hit with a 9.0 earthquake in my lifetime.

I don't know exactly where you live; you made reference to the Haiti area.  For me, risking having my house sucked up every year by a torndo is more of a "bother" than I care to have.   I do have the advantage, thankfully, that I don't live in a trailer park, so the risk is a bit lower for me . . .

• @blakeyrat said:

@serguey123 said:
    Would you rather die?
    Serguey has gone full-retard in this thread.

Not only on this thread, I'm bored.

Look people, I really don't care how do you face unpredictable disaster, I'm a "go with the flow" kind of guy so planning for it seems pointless for me, at least.  Maybe I and my countrymen have grown complacient as there have not being any major natural disaster in my area in a long time or maybe is that we have other stuff to worry about in this shithole of a country.

• @nonpartisan said:

I don't know exactly where you live; you made reference to the Haiti area.

He lives in Manitoba, he just pretends to live in some third-world shithole.

• @blakeyrat said:

@nonpartisan said:

Let me put it this way: from his IP, I sincerely doubt he's in a third world country.

• Trolleybus Mechanic

@morbiuswilters said:

@blakeyrat said:
    @nonpartisan said:

Let me put it this way: from his IP, I sincerely doubt he's in a third world country.

No... I'm pretty sure Manitoba is a third-world shithole. Don't be fooled by the IP. They won it in a rigged husky knife fight.

• @serguey123 said:

Not only on this thread, I'm bored.

Look people, I really don't care how do you face unpredictable disaster, I'm a "go with the flow" kind of guy so planning for it seems pointless for me, at least.  Maybe I and my countrymen have grown complacient as there have not being any major natural disaster in my area in a long time or maybe is that we have other stuff to worry about in this shithole of a country.

I find it funny when people over prepare for highly improbably disaster.  So I understand and respect you for not wasting money on something that might happen.  My dad always keeps all kinds of emergency stuff in the back of my mom's van (mostly things like camping gear).  The reason why he does this is totally flawed and drives me nuts... The reason:  He wants to be ready incase of a terrorist attack... <rant>He lives in a coastal region where hurricanes are a common threat.  But that is not the reason why he keeps emergency stuff packed and ready to go, no he does it because of something that you would never really need to evacuate for.  If a terrorist attack happens it is done and over with.  By the time you get about getting ready to go it is already over. *sighs*</ rant>

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>When it comes to being prepared for unpredictable disasters you have to do cost benefit analysis.  Should I spend $100 to negate the impact of something that will likely not happen.  That is an individual decision.  Personally my big thing is I like keeping first aid kits in useful spots like my car, backpack and work desk, so that if I minorly injure myself I can clean it up right there.  I view the benefit of having 4 first aid kits in random spots greater than the cost of them.  Similar deal applies to guns or security systems for protecting one's home.  My personal favorite response I saw when someone was going over all the things they do to be ready for an apocalypse and the guy he is talking to quietly listened to him, and then simply said: "I have a gun, so if that does occur I would kill you and take your stuff".<o:p></o:p>

• @morbiuswilters said:

Let me put it this way: from his IP, I sincerely doubt he's in a third world country

Ever heard of proxies?

@blakeyrat said:

He lives in Manitoba, he just pretends to live in some third-world shithole

So now I'm Canadian?

@Lorne Kates said:

No... I'm pretty sure Manitoba is a third-world shithole. Don't be fooled by the IP. They won it in a rigged husky knife fight.

Knifes are for pussies, real men use rocks

• @blakeyrat said:

@serguey123 said:
    I'm not saying you shouldn't prepare for the worst but it seems sometimes that some people worry to the point of paranoia.

Keeping a 12-pack of water bottles in my car in case of emergency is the point of paranoia for you? Geez, wait until you find out I have a fire extinguisher too. Your head will explode.

@serguey: one man's paranoia is another man's contingency planning.

Just because it's pessamistic, doesn't mean it won't happen.

Hey, I bet Blakey is so overly-paranoid, he has a first-aid kit, too. Damn those unfounded fears of his.

• @Anketam said:

If a terrorist attack happens it is done and over with.  By the time you get about getting ready to go it is already over.

Dirty bomb? Poison in the water supply? Anthrax? Those are all things I'd want to get away from.

@Anketam said:

"I have a gun, so if that does occur I would kill you and take your stuff".

Which is why the first thing in your emergency kit should be a gun.

• @serguey123 said:

I never understood this, maybe because I'm almost a shut in that have lived most of his life in a city but what could be the scenario where you need several water bottles in the middle of civilization?

In flood-prone parts of south east Queensland (which you may or may not define as 'civilisation') people are advised by the SES (State Emergency Services) to keep emergency supplies such as 3 days' worth of bottled water, torch and batter powered radio. Flooding is type of natural disaster that can not only lead to loss of services, such as power and water, but can cause people to get cut off from escape. Also, flood waters can easily take a couple of days to recede.

While no-one is saying that it's impossible to prepare clean water from moderately dirty water I guess the emergency planning professionals figure it's easier to get people to buy a few 10 litre bottles of water than (as numerous people have mentioned) start a bonfire every time they get thirsty.

• @RTapeLoadingError said:

In flood-prone parts of south east Queensland (which you may or may not define as 'civilisation') people are advised by the SES (State Emergency Services) to keep emergency supplies such as 3 days' worth of bottled water, torch and batter powered radio.

That's pretty much recommended everywhere you go in the US.

@RTapeLoadingError said:

While no-one is saying that it's impossible to prepare clean water from moderately dirty water I guess the emergency planning professionals figure it's easier to get people to buy a few 10 litre bottles of water than (as numerous people have mentioned) start a bonfire every time they get thirsty.

Boiling only kills parasites. It doesn't help when your water is contaminated with toxins*.

• @blakeyrat said:

I live in Western Washington

What? I thought you were in Seattle because I don't know that's just what I thought because of posts opf yours that mentioned "seattle" and *googlemapses it* oh never mind, I didn't know there was a state named Washington that was locationally unrelated to the city. It's cool.

• @dhromed said:

What? I thought you were in Seattle because I don't know that's just what I thought because of posts opf yours that mentioned "seattle" and googlemapses it oh never mind, I didn't know there was a state named Washington that was locationally unrelated to the city. It's cool.

Yeah it's kind of confusing. There were a bunch of alternate names for the State proposed, and the papers discuss it every so often. I like Walla Walla personally, we should call the whole State that and we don't even need to change the postal abbreviation. People in the city Walla Walla would get an added bonus cool name points, but alas people in George and Martha would lose their added bonus cool name points.

• @serguey123 said:

both hurricanes and tornadoes can be somewhat predicted and with proper precaution they are only a bother,

Tornado is "a bother".

I see.

Imagine an oil tanker. Filled. Moving on land. Fast.

Tornadoes aren't just a bunch of stiff breezes. They demolish shit. They make it flat. Have you ever seen photographs of the unforgiving corridors of destruction that tornadoes produce? Tornadoes are nature's guerilla warfare on humanity— if I were inclined to frame it in that romantic anthropocentric way. They are God's gatling gun experiments on the earth.

Shit's annoying, you know.

• @dhromed said:

@serguey123 said:

both hurricanes and tornadoes can be somewhat predicted and with proper precaution they are only a bother,

Tornado is "a bother".

I see.

Imagine an oil tanker. Filled. Moving on land. Fast.

Tornadoes aren't just a bunch of stiff breezes. They demolish shit. They make it flat. Have you ever seen photographs of the unforgiving corridors of destruction that tornadoes produce? Tornadoes are nature's guerilla warfare on humanity— if I were inclined to frame it in that romantic anthropocentric way. They are God's gatling gun experiments on the earth.

Shit's annoying, you know.

Having spent a lot of my life living in a very tornado-prone area, I can tell you they are awful. What's more, his assertion that you get warning with a tornado is fucking hilarious. The average warning time for a tornado in the US is 13 minutes. It's one of the least-predictable disasters known to man.

• ♿ (Parody)

@morbiuswilters said:

Having spent a lot of my life living in a very tornado-prone area, I can tell you they are awful. What's more, his assertion that you get warning with a tornado is fucking hilarious. The average warning time for a tornado in the US is 13 minutes. It's one of the least-predictable disasters known to man.

I can only assume that he was thinking about the fact that they tend to be more common during certain months, and that they're usually also a part of an already nasty weather system. Which is a better heads up than you get with earthquakes, but ultimately not very useful, since most of the time they don't materialize under those conditions in most places.

• @dhromed said:

Tornadoes aren't just a bunch of stiff breezes. They demolish shit. They make it flat. Have you ever seen photographs of the unforgiving corridors of destruction that tornadoes produce
    I think most of those pictures are from my hometown :(

• @Sutherlands said:

:(

Shit, man.

Last year's season was the first time I thought shit was bad enough to contact a friend in that area and see if she was okay.

• @da Doctah said:

@Scarlet Manuka said:
    I've always liked the oddly specific best-before date. Since we're talking bottled water, the bottle on my desk at the moment has this to say:

Best Before
    19.07.13 08:04

If you're going to keep the same bottle of water around for another seven years, you've got bigger problems.
    Being in a D/M/Y kind of place, this is a year and a bit away, not seven years. The point would still stand, except that I just use it as a container and refill it from the tap when it gets empty. (And yes, I wash it from time to time and replace it after a while.)

• @serguey123 said:

@blakeyrat said:

@serguey123 said:

No, it isn't, I never said that, however you are the first person I ever heard of actually having a fire extinguisher, hmmm, now that I think of it they are rare here.

It's not clear whether the fire extinguisher is in the car or the kitchen. Here I think it's a legal requirement to have one in your car.

• @pjt33 said:

@serguey123 said:

@blakeyrat said:

@serguey123 said:

It's not clear whether the fire extinguisher is in the car or the kitchen. Here I think it's a legal requirement to have one in your car.

Not even seatbelts are required here, most cars don't even have them.

• @serguey123 said:

And by "here" you mean the fantasy land that exists only in your skull.

• @serguey123 said:

Once I got into a taxi in Egypt and as I was putting the seatbelt on I noticed that it had at some stage been cut through with a knife and then sewn back with normal cotton.