The heat pump

• @Weng said:

@morbiuswilters said:

@ender said:
    @Cassidy said:
    Thanks to those that did give a useful answer - which I've understood as "it's generally blowing hot air up away from the heatsink but it could be either"
    I've yet to see a CPU fan that doesn't blow air on the heatsink - heck, some cases have a tunnel above the CPU fan to directly bring in the cooler air from outside. As for Zalman flower, I presume it's one of those old heatsinks with a fan that isn't mounted directly on the heatsink - I'd expect the cooling there will be much better if the fan blows on the heatsink than the reverse.

Yeah, that's what I thought. It's been a decade since I've built my own overclocked computers, but I'm pretty sure most fans blow down. However, I rarely used axial fans. I had a huge, high-CFM, 115-volt AC radial blower mounted on the outside of the case that blew in right over the CPU and GPU. No other fans needed.. :)

Axial fans are for suckers. Real men use squirrelcages!

Real real men use automotive blowers. 40A worth of fan dangling off your 12v rail.

Pfff. Real real real men use leaf blowers. 

• @ArieLex said:

@Weng said:

@morbiuswilters said:

@ender said:
    @Cassidy said:
    Thanks to those that did give a useful answer - which I've understood as "it's generally blowing hot air up away from the heatsink but it could be either"
    I've yet to see a CPU fan that doesn't blow air on the heatsink - heck, some cases have a tunnel above the CPU fan to directly bring in the cooler air from outside. As for Zalman flower, I presume it's one of those old heatsinks with a fan that isn't mounted directly on the heatsink - I'd expect the cooling there will be much better if the fan blows on the heatsink than the reverse.

Yeah, that's what I thought. It's been a decade since I've built my own overclocked computers, but I'm pretty sure most fans blow down. However, I rarely used axial fans. I had a huge, high-CFM, 115-volt AC radial blower mounted on the outside of the case that blew in right over the CPU and GPU. No other fans needed.. :)

Axial fans are for suckers. Real men use squirrelcages!

Real real men use automotive blowers. 40A worth of fan dangling off your 12v rail.

Pfff. Real real real men use leaf blowers. 

Real men use liquid nitrogen.

• @Renan said:

Wow.

• @Renan said:

<extremely large image />

You need to add a caption:

"Enlarged to show detail" or "Not actual size"