Some videogames are serious business

• So I've just finished this new game called Alan Wake and just wanted to give a heads up to anyone here who enjoys horror novels and video games. It's made by the guys behind Max Payne and it's like playing through a Stephen King book. If the idea of running through the dark woods with evil snapping on your heels appeals to you look no further.

I should also add that the guys that made this seem to have put a ridiculous amount of effort into it. To give you an idea there are a few short intervals in the game where you can drive a car. These make up something like 1% of the total playing time so it's not exactly a racing game and yet it is perfectly possible to drift through a corner at high speed. Who the hell puts that kind of polish on a 3rd person shooter? I don't know what kind of business model these guys have, but they certainly take their coding seriously.

• @DOA said:

it is perfectly possible to drift through a corner at high speed. Who the hell puts that kind of polish on a 3rd person shooter?

Maybe those physics came for free with the game engine and/or previous code?

• @dhromed said:

Could be, they've certainly had their hands full. The whole game enjoys this level of detail.

• @dhromed said:

@DOA said:

it is perfectly possible to drift through a corner at high speed. Who the hell puts that kind of polish on a 3rd person shooter?

AFAIK, is an in house engine developed specifically for that game (it uses the Havok engine as well) so the merit relies entirely on Remedy's programmers, and yes it is a great game.

My question is why is there a thread about this game being awesome (it is awesome) almost 2 years after it was released?

BTW you should also play the DLC if it was not bundled with the game you have as it explain a lot about the story. Enjoy!

It is sad that there are no more games this good.

• @serguey123 said:

My question is why is there a thread about this game being awesome (it is awesome) almost 2 years after it was released?

Because Alan Wake was originally developed for PC, became an X360 exclusive, and has finally been released for PC (on Steam) for a decent price, so a lot of PC gamers are finally getting a chance to experience the game.

• @CodeSimian said:

@serguey123 said:

Because Alan Wake was originally developed for PC, became an X360 exclusive, and has finally been released for PC (on Steam) for a decent price, so a lot of PC gamers are finally getting a chance to experience the game.

And that took almost two years? WTF?

Well, I guess late is better than never

• @serguey123 said:

@CodeSimian said:

@serguey123 said:

And that took almost two years? WTF?

Well, I guess late is better than never

Sometimes late is worse than never.

See:  Duke Nukem.

• @DOA said:

it's like playing through a Stephen King book.

Unfortunately, it's "The Langoliers."

Ziing.

• @blakeyrat said:

@DOA said:

Ziing.

"The Langoliers" is a short story.

Ziiing.

• @frits said:

@blakeyrat said:

@DOA said:

Ziing.

"The Langoliers" is a movie.

Ziiing.

FTFY.

Ziiing.

• @Sutherlands said:

@frits said:

@blakeyrat said:

@DOA said:

Ziing.

"The Langoliers" is a movie.

Ziiing.

FTFY.

Ziiiing.

FTFY

Ziiiiing

•  

• Don't blame me, my post was actually funny.

• I liked the film, too. Not actually read the story (despite being a King fan).

• It has great unintentional comedy, mostly from Bronson Pinchot who seemed to think he was playing a comedic character, or perhaps he thought he was getting screwed and decided to sabotage the production, hard to tell and neither would surprise me. ("Scaring the LITTLE GIRL!!??")

The monsters were so incredibly disappointing though... I think that even Cloverfield somehow managed to have a less-disappointing monster than the Langoliers. Christ they were awful. And the blame isn't just on the poor CGI-- the design of those monsters was awful long before anybody grabbed a computer mouse.

• Yah, he played a nutter quite well. But that's what comes from LYING DOWN ON THE JAWB!

I saw it on a small screen so the CGI didn't bother me (but ISTR it was too "polished", they looked ray-traced). I just remember the whole premise was creepy, and the approaching storm grew the tension well.... then the gobbling mouths appeared, and everyone relaxed.

• "Dealing with the past in the most efficient way nature know... BY EATING IT"

That kind of broke it for me.

I liked Bronson's crazy-man acting.