I can't pay attention so you do it for me



  • Got this the other day:

    From: Davis, Jamie
    Sent: Monday, February 20, 2012 10:38 AM
    To: boog
    Subject: FW: Inventory Report SP4M8175

    boog -
    Could you please add Darlene Anderson to the recipient list for the report below so that she can review the results every monday?  Thank you!


    -----Original Message-----
    > From: ReportServer@mycompany.com
    > Sent: Monday, February 20, 2012 7:01 AM
    > To: Davis, Jamie; Garcia, Dave; Anderson, Darlene
    > Subject: Inventory Report SP4M8175
    >
    > The results for Inventory Report SP4M8175 are attached.
    >
    > Also: This is an automated email.  Do not reply to it.
    >

    eye twitch



  • Was the reply, if any, suitable sarcastic?



  • "Done. I've also taken the precaution of adding you in on the list also, in case Darlene doesn't get it."



  • Sadly, no, I only grumpily pointed out her mistake.

    Had I been in a better mood, I'd have told her that the system wouldn't let me add Darlene twice and that she'd just have to forward the results to Darlene every week until I'm able to get it resolved.



  • @boog said:

    Had I been in a better mood, I'd have told her that the system wouldn't let me add Darlene twice

     

    Darnit! Such an amazing opportunity, lost!

    This proves to me that my own sarcasm skills are absolutely not up to scratch, I wouldn't have come up with it either. Need to be prepared to dish them out on the spot.

     



  • @erikal said:

    @boog said:

    Had I been in a better mood, I'd have told her that the system wouldn't let me add Darlene twice

     

    Darnit! Such an amazing opportunity, lost!

    This proves to me that my own sarcasm skills are absolutely not up to scratch, I wouldn't have come up with it either. Need to be prepared to dish them out on the spot.

     

    Perhaps you should consider an apprenticeship in sarcasm.  Perhaps try applying to either Morbs or Blakeyrat.

     



  • @galgorah said:

    Perhaps you should consider an apprenticeship in sarcasm.  Perhaps try applying to either Morbs or Blakeyrat.
     

    Both excellent choices. It comes down to what you want to minor in, depraved genocide, or undirected rage. Plus, you should also take the social aspect of your choice into play. With Blakey, the drinks are better and I hear there's video games. With Morbs, you'll have much more sex.

    You won't like it. Or want it. Or ask for it. Or be able to escape from the restraints once they've been soldered to your flesh-- but you'll have much more sex.



  • You're completely justified in thinking there exists only one Darlene Anderson.



  • @erikal said:

    Darnit! Such an amazing opportunity, lost!
    Meh, with those users, the opportunity is bound to present itself again.

    @erikal said:

    This proves to me that my own sarcasm skills are absolutely not up to scratch, I wouldn't have come up with it either.
    You have to be in the right mood too, it seems.  At the time I was in more of a "look you fucked up see right there now leave me alone I'm busy" kind of mood.

    I'm usually in the perfect mood to hassle users when they're being stupid.  Just not that day.



  • @Lorne Kates said:

    Both excellent choices. It comes down to what you want to minor in, depraved genocide, or undirected rage. Plus, you should also take the social aspect of your choice into play. With Blakey, the drinks are better and I hear there's video games. With Morbs, you'll have much more sex.

    Hmm, depraved genocide DOES sound attractive... But video games or more sex? Apparently I have the choice between fiddling with a controller or fiddling with a controller.

     



  •  *the controller fiddling with you.



  • There's a girl that works here that is on a distrbution list for a certain dept.  When I send an email to said distribution lists, she can't tell that it wasn't sent to her specifically.  She usually replies back to just me with an "I don't know" or sometimes she replies that she doesn't know and will CC another member of the deptartment (on the same distribution list) and says they might know.  I've written replies to point out that I didn't expect her to know and that I emailed the entire department or just to point out that she the person she CCed was included on the original email.  I never can bring myself to send them, because I feel as though I'm coming off as an ass...  She's kind of cute, too.



  • @pauly said:

    I never can bring myself to send them, because She's kind of cute
    FTFY



  • @pauly said:

    She's kind of cute, too.

    You must resist. Feel the true power of the dark side.



  • @Sutherlands said:

    @pauly said:

    I never can bring myself to send them, because She's kind of cute
    FTFY

    Being nice is a sure-fire way to impress cute girls.



  • @pauly said:

    When I send an email to said distribution lists, she can't tell that it wasn't sent to her specifically.  She usually replies back to just me with an "I don't know" or sometimes she replies that she doesn't know and will CC another member of the deptartment (on the same distribution list) and says they might know.
     

    I call shenanigans.  Every time I run across someone like this, she sends back the "I don't know" with reply-all.



  • @frits said:

    @Sutherlands said:

    @pauly said:

    I never can bring myself to send them, because She's kind of cute
    FTFY

    Being nice is a sure-fire way to impress cute girls.

    You forgot the sarcasm tag.



  • @morbiuswilters said:

    @frits said:

    @Sutherlands said:

    @pauly said:

    I never can bring myself to send them, because She's kind of cute
    FTFY

    Being nice is a sure-fire way to impress cute girls.

    You forgot the sarcasm tag.

    I find that explicitly stating something is sarcastic can take away the bite.



  • sarcasm tags come in handy for example if I say:

    "Oracle is wonderful."

    It is obvious that it is sarcastic but some people might think I am being serious and a huge debate will ensue as to why Oracle is the most horrible thing to ever exist.  Sarcasm tags help prevent this.



  • @Anketam said:

    "Oracle is wonderful."

    Are you some kind of fucking idiot? Oracle sucks!



  • @morbiuswilters said:

    @Anketam said:
    "Oracle is wonderful."
    Are you some kind of fucking idiot? Oracle sucks!

    Oracle isn't so bad. It could be worse, you could be using MySQL.



  • @Anketam said:

    It is obvious that it is sarcastic but some people might think I am being serious and a huge debate will ensue as to why Oracle is the most horrible thing to ever exist.  Sarcasm tags help prevent this.

    You must be new here. Anyways, Oracle isn't the most horrible thing ever. Have you never heard of the designated hitter?!



  •  Did anyone notice that the report ID is SP4M8175 which can read as SPAM 8175

    🙂

     



  • @masterX244 said:

     Did anyone notice that the report ID is SP4M8175 which can read as SPAM 8175
    I rather suspect the names were changed as part of the anonymisation as well.



  • @boog said:

    Sadly, no, I only grumpily pointed out her mistake.

    Had I been in a better mood, I'd have told her that the system wouldn't let me add Darlene twice and that she'd just have to forward the results to Darlene every week until I'm able to get it resolved.

    In all seriousness, I tend to play the clueless nerd in situations like these. I'll go, "If Darlene isn't getting the reports, apparently something's up, since I can see her in the recipient list in your e-mail. I'll make time to look into it later. Unfortunately I can't retroactively forward a copy of the report to her." This drops the ball in the other party's court, and I won't have called them an idiot, either subtly or overtly. This gives them freedom to decide among themselves who is being the idiot. Then, judging by the reply I'll get, I'll get a good sense of the personalities of the people involved. In my experience, you can really tell a lot by how people respond to realizing they've done something stupid.

    Also, maybe there actually is something IT-related that's causing Darlene not to get the report, this way people might respond in a way that gives me a lead on the cause. Whatever that might be. The only thing I can think of is it getting caught in a spam filter. At work, my boss is having issues sending me e-mail because Norton seems to like to block the mails to me. That last one is something a non-IT-savvy user might not think of.

    Of course, if it's late in the afternoon, or almost weekend, and I've had a bad day, the above will not always register with me either and I'll be a little grumpy too.



  • @masterX244 said:

     Did anyone notice that the report ID is SP4M8175 which can read as SPAM 8175

    🙂

     

     

    SPAM BITS?

     



  • @toon said:

    ...judging by the reply I'll get, I'll get a good sense of the personalities of the people involved. In my experience, you can really tell a lot by how people respond to realizing they've done something stupid.
    I'm aware of the personalities of the folks involved.  And I already knew their response would be: "Oh, oops, never mind then", followed by another something stupid the next week.

    @toon said:

    Also, maybe there actually is something IT-related that's causing Darlene not to get the report...
    But Darlene was getting the report.



  • @masterX244 said:

    Did anyone notice that the report ID is SP4M8175 which can read as SPAM 8175
    It's almost like it was named that way on purpose.



  • @boog said:

    @toon said:

    ...judging by the reply I'll get, I'll get a good sense of the personalities of the people involved. In my experience, you can really tell a lot by how people respond to realizing they've done something stupid.
    I'm aware of the personalities of the folks involved.  And I already knew their response would be: "Oh, oops, never mind then", followed by another something stupid the next week.

    Not attacking the way you handled that! I'm pretty sure you're a better judge of your coworkers' personalities than I am, so for all I know they deserved that. But the assumption of others in this thread has been that the folks involved did something not very bright, and that doesn't seem right to me. At least, not a priori. (or put another way, I don't share their opinion per se)

    @boog said:

    @toon said:

    Also, maybe there actually is something IT-related that's causing Darlene not to get the report...
    But Darlene was getting the report.

    If that's true, I sure couldn't tell from your post. I could only tell that the report had been sent to Darlene. Again, no offense... I duly realize I don't know the ins and outs of your situation. It's just that I happen to see a lot of knee-jerk responses from certain co-workers of mine; they tend to throw the word "stupid" around, when the P doesn't necessarily EBKAC. I haven't been a professional programmer for very long, but I have been dealing with users for very long. In my experience, they are often not stupid at all. They're just not experts on the field. They are, however, often lazy and expect the techies to fix every problem they get without thinking for themselves. But that's quite a different matter.



  • @toon said:

    @boog said:
    But Darlene was getting the report.

    If that's true, I sure couldn't tell from your post.

    Well the email didn't say, "Darlene isn't getting this report like she's supposed to," it said, "Please add Darlene as a recipient."

    But I see your point: it isn't necessarily the case that users are stupid.

    @toon said:

    They are, however, often lazy and expect the techies to fix every problem they get without thinking for themselves.
    Then again, I'd say that such behavior deserves sarcasm and mockery even more than stupidity does.

     


Log in to reply
 

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.