Setup has detected that Java has not been installed.

• I was investigating some UML modeling tools to see if there are any good free ones. Visio works fine but I'm the only one on the team with a copy of Visio, and it's my own personal copy so I'm not about to start installing it all over the office.

From what I could gather, ArgoUML seems to be the best one. It supports reverse-engineering of classes from several languages and can also generate classes from diagrams. So I went to their website to download it. The first WTF is that the version number is only 0.34 and the initial release of the application was in 1998 according to Wikipedia. The latest stable release is from last year so it's apparently been under development. The second WTF is the installer refuses to install. I get an error stating that Java is not installed on my system and I need to install the Java runtime environment before trying the installer again.

Well, according to my Control Panel I have the usual 15 different JRE's installed plus a couple full JDK's, and also I had two instances of Eclipse running at the time since one of my current projects is in Java so I know Java works.

I guess I need to keep looking.

• I never liked ArgoUML much anyway. Years ago I used something based on ArgoUML called Poseidon for UML, which seems to have a "community edition." I can't vouch for its usefulness to you, but it seemed a whole lot better than vanilla ArgoUML. I have no idea whether the free version will do what you need.

• I think the WTF with this lies more heavily on ArgoUML than Java (Note I am not exusing Java of any WTF doing).  I could see them doing a stupid check like:

If(JavaInstallations.Count == 1)

And since you have 15+ Java installations you would obviously fail the installation check.

• Are you running a 64 bit machine? I've run into similar issues with the Android SDK looking for a 32 bit JVM when all I had was a 64 bit one...

• @ekolis said:

Are you running a 64 bit machine? I've run into similar issues with the Android SDK looking for a 32 bit JVM when all I had was a 64 bit one...

Write once, run anywhere!

• Better than Netbeans. The installer package in OSX checks for Java and won't continue if it's not installed... where OSX installs Java on demand when it's needed.

My now-official company fix: Run MineCraft (which installs a JRE) and then install Netbeans

• @mott555 said:

I was investigating some UML modeling tools to see if there are any good free ones.

No. Argo is probably the best and it's not very good. There is an Eclipse plugin, if you are feeling adventurous: http://www.eclipse.org/modeling/mdt/?project=uml2 It's Eclipse, so it almost certainly sucks.

• @gu3st said:

Better than Netbeans. The installer package in OSX checks for Java and won't continue if it's not installed... where OSX installs Java on demand when it's needed.

My now-official company fix: Run MineCraft (which installs a JRE) and then install Netbeans

The last thing I want to do is defend Netbeans, but it seems like the WTF is OSX. Automatically installing dependencies is neat, but it doesn't work if the application does its own dependency checking. I mean, obviously that's going to fail.

• @Anketam said:

I think the WTF with this lies more heavily on ArgoUML than Java (Note I am not exusing Java of any WTF doing).  I could see them doing a stupid check like:

If(JavaInstallations.Count == 1)

And since you have 15+ Java installations you would obviously fail the installation check.

... or it could be checking for a specific antiquated version of JAVA ^^

• Not really OSX's fault that Netbeans has a poor installer.

Minecraft, PHPStorm (those are about the only 2 things I've ever cared to use that actually use Java)
    work perfectly fine with downloading Java on demand. In fact it's quite excellent because people that don't use Java don't have that installed as an exploitable vector.

•  Dude, try Violet -

of course, it still requires Java.....

• @gu3st said:

In fact it's quite excellent because people that don't use Java don't have that installed as an exploitable vector.

Um.. isn't that true of any system?

• @morbiuswilters said:

@gu3st said:
    In fact it's quite excellent because people that don't use Java don't have that installed as an exploitable vector.

No.  Just last week my calculator got hacked because of the JRE.

• @Sutherlands said:

@morbiuswilters said:
    @gu3st said:

No.  Just last week my calculator got hacked because of the JRE.

Knowing Java, it probaby did.

• @mott555 said:

I was investigating some UML modeling tools to see if there are any good free ones.

I would recomment UMLet. It's basically just drawing tool tailored to UML and similar diagrams, so no code generation and allows drawing informal diagrams and mix elements from different diagram types and stuff and that's what we usually want.