How to recover a lost TDWTF forum account?

• I had to create a new account to post this, because I forgot the password to my old one. Now you must surely be thinking, why the heck doesn't he simply use the normal password reset/recovery? Well, that's because for some reason the password reset mails never reach me. No, they don't get simply get filtered out into the spam folder (believe me, I checked. Several times.). They just vanish into some kind of data black hole, without a trace. It might be the fault of my mail provider (blacklisted?), because I even had to sign up for a new mail address with a different provider to be able to create this new account (because signing up also involves a confirmation mail being sent, which of course didn't arrive either.

So, does anyone have any idea how I could possibly reactivate my old account? There's no support section to this forum, where this post might have been more appropriate, so I guess this place is only the "best fit".

Is it perhaps possible to contact the forum mods/admins directly? Maybe they could somehow help me...

• Send a PM to this guy here: http://forums.thedailywtf.com/members/dhromed.aspx

Be sure to include your old username.

• @morbiuswilters said:

Be sure to include your old username.

And a JPEG of yourself, lubed up in a tutu, holding an eggwhisk and reel of duct tape.

He needs proof, after all.

• Asheridan had the same issue. Mails never reached him.

I think CS just isn't sending any password recovery/reset emails, or they're being killed before they leave the server.

• Pop on email notifications for posts and see if you receive anything on post reply?

That will narrow it down to "emails not being sent" and "password reset emails only not being sent".

•  I prayed to the Great Papadimoulis in the sky, but didn't get a reply.

• I actually have more luck contacting him on Twitter.

• The Messiah tweets? Holy micro-blogging, Batman!

... oh.. you meant Alex. Erm.. I'll get off bended knees now.

• Totally not relevant to the discussion, but apparently I use forum avatars as the primary way of identifying a user. I saw dhromed's new avatar and thought it was a new user. Only then did I look at his username.

• @mott555 said:

Totally not relevant to the discussion, but apparently I use forum avatars as the primary way of identifying a user. I saw dhromed's new avatar and thought it was a new user. Only then did I look at his username.

As do I, which is why I hate his new avatar so much.

• @morbiuswilters said:

@mott555 said:

Totally not relevant to the discussion, but apparently I use forum avatars as the primary way of identifying a user. I saw dhromed's new avatar and thought it was a new user. Only then did I look at his username.

As do I, which is why I hate his new avatar so much.
    Me too.  Which is why I wonder why there are so many posts associated with the same user where they're arguing with themselves.

• @mott555 said:

Does that mean you're the only person I don't confuse by continually changing usernames, then?

• @fterfi secure said:

@mott555 said:
    Does that mean you're the only person I don't confuse by continually changing usernames, then?

What were your previous usernames?

• @dhromed said:

I think CS just isn't sending any password recovery/reset emails, or they're being killed before they leave the server.
    That does not seem to be generally true. It appears to be dependent on the user's mail address/provider. While neither password recovery nor account creation confirmation mails reached me at my normal provider, I was at least able to sign up for this new account (didn't try password recovery yet) by using a gmail address - the signup mail reached me there, without problems. Really weird.

• @UnknownSender said:

While neither password recovery nor account creation confirmation mails reached me at my normal provider,

Maybe it's a halfwit "security" feature, where you can't sign up for a new account if there's an existing account with that email.

• @dhromed said:

@UnknownSender said:
    While neither password recovery nor account creation confirmation mails reached me at my normal provider,
    Maybe it's a halfwit "security" feature, where you can't sign up for a new account if there's an existing account with that email.
    If you try to create an account with an existing mail address, the software immediately tells you that this email already exists. My provider lets me create aliases for my mail account, so I tried one of those (not just a different username, but even a completely different domain), but for that one the mails were (also) lost as described.

•  Crazy.

• @dhromed said:

Well, that would make sense. Not as a security feature, more as a policy decision, I mean - I can't see where two different accounts would have the same email address and yet be two separate people.

Flagging up that it's in use sounds like the appropriate response to me. Not sending password reset information to that address doesn't.

Can Gmail users see what mails have been killfiled?

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@Cassidy said:

I can't see where two different accounts would have the same email address and yet be two separate people.
    Spouses/whole family sharing the address? Not that there's any excuse in this age for not getting one off the free ESP's around.

There was a Dear Deirdre type article in one of the papers I was reading last weekend with just such a couple, and the woman was asking what she should do about an email she'd seen that her husband sent - I won't bore you with the details. I don't know whether I should be surprised that one of the things that "Deirdre" didn't suggest was for them to get their own individual email addresses.

•  PJH, your sig is depressing me regarding the inexorable passage of time.

• @dhromed said:

PJH, your sig is depressing me regarding the inexorable passage of time.

Yours is depressing me regarding the quality of JPEG compression.

@dhromed said:

PJH, your sig is depressing me regarding the inexorable passage of time.

You're welcome.

• @blakeyrat said:

Yours is depressing me regarding the quality of JPEG compression.

I know! It makes artifacts look good.

• @PJH said:

@Cassidy said:
    I can't see where two different accounts would have the same email address and yet be two separate people.
    Spouses/whole family sharing the address?

.. and registering for different forum accounts on the same site? Not impossible, I suppose, but highly improbable.

@PJH said:

I don't know whether I should be surprised that one of the things that "Deirdre" didn't suggest was for them to get their own individual email addresses.

Horse, stable door and all that: Deirdre is from Venus, us Martians are the ones concerned with fixing it to prevent a reocurrance.

@dhromed said:

I know! It makes artifacts look good.

Step AWAY from the SpagettiWankDesktopStretch NOW. Stop filming your monitor. Pause the slo-mo-golf-random-scrolling screen.

• @Cassidy said:

Step AWAY from the SpagettiWankDesktopStretch NOW. Stop filming your monitor. Pause the slo-mo-golf-random-scrolling screen.

•  If anyonehas this password I definitley suggest contacting Dhromed, PJH, or myself.  I can always give you my email and have you email me back from the registered account for verification.  I get emails any time one of you reports something.

@galgorah said:

If anyonehas this password I definitley suggest contacting Dhromed, PJH, or myself.

dhromed sorted it last week.

• @PJH said:

@galgorah said:

If anyonehas this password I definitley suggest contacting Dhromed, PJH, or myself.

dhromed sorted it last week.

Yes but if anyone else has the same problem down the road, At least they know who they can contact. 

• @Cassidy said:

Not as a security feature, more as a policy decision, I mean - I can't see where two different accounts would have the same email address and yet be two separate people.

Neither did I...until I heard from co-worker that there are entire villages that share same email address in at least one country. (and of course those shared mailboxes like "sales" or distribution lists)

• @Buzer said:

@Cassidy said:
    Not as a security feature, more as a policy decision, I mean - I can't see where two different accounts would have the same email address and yet be two separate people.

Neither did I...until I heard from co-worker that there are entire villages that share same email address in at least one country. (and of course those shared mailboxes like "sales" or distribution lists)

"accounts" meaning forum accounts - I can't see someone from that village using their shared email address to register an account on here and being surprised to find it's already been done. Similarly, you wouldn't use a distribution group address to signup for a forum account. For a mail circular, yes (which is what we do at work) but not to post in threads.