Achievement Unlocked: Become a terrible coder

• So apparently this "gamification" trend is affecting everything, from going to the store to exercise routines to now coding.

Microsoft has apparently released an "achievement" extension for Visual Studio. I mean, it can't be bad right? If a user can get an achievement for doing something correct, then they come off as better coders and we all benefit, right?

Except look at the list of achievements:

"Add 10 regions to a class"? Okay, I guess if it's a long enough class that makes kind of sense (if for whatever reason you forgot partial classes exist).

"Reference 25 assemblies."? Hmm, perhaps large enough applications may need this but I've never needed to do that many in anything I've worked on thus far.

"Use 5 different curse words in a file."? What?

"Use of the goto keyword."!?. What??

"Write 20 single letter class level variables in one file."!? I give up.

Pretty much only the "Unleashing Visual Studio" achievements seem to make any sense. The rest I'm sure is just some conspiracy to make sure MS developers are recognized as bad coders or something.

(Also sorry if there's already a thread about this, I checked and there didn't seem to be one.)

• No, it's a fake...

• What's wrong with all of them being joke achievements?

Most achievements in games are kind of jokes.

• Yeah. It's obvious this is based on Xbox Live Achievements. Take a look at them sometime. Most games, half or more of the achievements are just jokes or stupid puns or 1-upping competing games. (The whole Dead Rising with its "kill 53594 zombies" achievement; so Left 4 Dead added the "kill 53595 zombies" achievement. Neither game seriously expects people to do those.)

Also, Portal 2 I think deserves a notice for its brilliant "This Is The Part Where He Kills You" achievement, which isn't just a joke, but it's kind of a meta-joke. They are using the Achievement pop-up as a punchline to a joke in the game's dialog, it's crazy shit.

• Arstechnical provided a review that presented Visual Studio as a text adventure game. If you are after the tldr; version, then it's 'Fun game, but the Ultimate version is a bit pricey'.

OH, and akismet, just in case.

• How long until people start complaining that Visual Studio is calling them a cow?

• @MiffTheFox said:

"Add 10 regions to a class"? Okay, I guess if it's a long enough class that makes kind of sense (if for whatever reason you forgot partial classes exist).

"Reference 25 assemblies."? Hmm, perhaps large enough applications may need this but I've never needed to do that many in anything I've worked on thus far.

"Use 5 different curse words in a file."? What?

"Use of the goto keyword."!?. What??

"Write 20 single letter class level variables in one file."!? I give up.

the names of these achievements actually mock you, so i guess it's kind of meant as a "hey! don't do this!" - teaching good coding through pointing out bad practices.

•  The OP clearly still needs to unlock the achievement "learn to recognize sarcasm".

•  Hah, Puzzle Quest 2 has an achievement when you learn a new spell, called "learn 2 spell" which made me guffaw.

• @dhromed said:

Hah, Puzzle Quest 2 has an achievement when you learn a new spell, called "learn 2 spell" which made me guffaw.

Not an achievement, but one of the round badges in Tribes: Ascend if you manage to destroy a generator is "Genehater." Which made me laugh.

They also canonized the term "blue plate special" for hitting another tribes player in mid-air with a spinfusor disc. It's good to know the people making the game were Tribes players back in the day, or at least talked to a lot of Tribes players.

• @blakeyrat said:

The whole Dead Rising with its "kill 53594 zombies" achievement

A friend of mine did do that.

@blakeyrat said:

Also, Portal 2 I think deserves a notice for its brilliant "This Is The Part Where He Kills You" achievement, which isn't just a joke, but it's kind of a meta-joke.

I got the one where Wheatly begs you to come back and jump into the hole after you've escaped (if that is the one you mean). Yes, it's hilarious.

@SEMI-HYBRID code said:

the names of these achievements actually
    mock you, so i guess it's kind of meant as a "hey! don't do this!" -
    teaching good coding through pointing out bad practices.

I think you seriously underestimate some people's "gotta catch em all" mentality. This will be incentive to write even worse code for at least some people.

• @topspin said:

I got the one where Wheatly begs you to come back and jump into the hole after you've escaped (if that is the one you mean). Yes, it's hilarious.

No, it's a different one everybody gets for going through the plot. It goes like this:

(Caption on Screen): Chapter 8, The Part Where He Kills You
    GlaDOS: "Uh oh, this is the part where he kills you."
    Wheatly: "Welcome to the part where I kill you!"
    (Game system): Achievement Unlocked: The Part Where He Kills You

It's hilarious while you're playing.

• Here, illustration. No achievement unlock though, I already unlocked it when I took these screenshots..

• @AngelSL said:

No achievement unlock though

THEN I WILL CRUDELY IMAGE-EDIT ONE IN!

•  Here. I found one.

• I like mine better.

• Who wouldn't.  😉

And thanks to this I started playing again.

• The part of the product (which I shant name) that I'm testing is internally called '?????Panels', so I found this one extra amusing.

Portal 2: Official Panels Trailer – 00:45
    — IGN

• @blakeyrat said:

Also, Portal 2 I think deserves a notice for its brilliant "This Is The Part Where He Kills You" achievement, which isn't just a joke, but it's kind of a meta-joke. They are using the Achievement pop-up as a punchline to a joke in the game's dialog, it's crazy shit.

Didn't Portal 2 also have an achievement for doing something that kills you and ends the game in failure? I think it was taking GLaDOS's fairly obviously fake offer of an escape route during one of the chase sequences.

• @Someone You Know said:

Didn't Portal 2 also have an achievement for doing something that kills you and ends the game in failure?

Doesn't every game? It probably has several. Like, you know, every game.

Seriously, what's up with people in this forum and not knowing what game achievements are.

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.