Source Control is for the Weak

• Hi All,

Following on from my last post (see here), I have a confession to make.

I didn't use Source Control for the product re-write. Now before everyone goes and screams at me (like you should), I didn't use it because I'd never heard of it until I was half done and it was always identified as a team tool. With a team of 1, I decided it wasn't worth the effort to implement (and will happily admit to being wrong).

Fast forward a couple of months from there, and I eventually got to understand what else source control provides. So I did my research, considered things carefully, and went with what the university used; CVS. It was fun getting used to using it, changing my work habits, realising how powerful the tool could be, etc... 

Fast forward another few months, the product is done and its time for me to move on to another project. So management bring in another developer, this time one with alot of experience. He will be the maintenance guy for the product, and he will work with me for a few months learn the product and the code and then take over.

First day on the job, we go though the usual things, I get him setup to download a copy of the code, etc... He see's me using CVS and asks me what thats for. More then a little supprised, I explain its our source control system and I use it to keep track of versions, and now there are two of us on the team, to share code between us. He stutters for abit, then shouts "I'm not using that... waste of time, causes nothing but problems".  I ask him what he means, nervous as I was that in this open plan office management heard every bit of his outburst. And he explains "its a bloody stupid concept, if I delete a file locally that stupid thing will undelete it and put it back - makes working impossible". I try to explain why that happened only to be met with ... "no, you don't understand. Source Control isn't useful. Nobody in the industry uses it, so why should I? Stick it on a network drive, and be done with it" with the eyes of the whole office boring in the back of my head, he finishes his outburst with "thats how we did it at my old place". 

It took me a while to get my breath back, and I could only think to ask one question; where was your old place? His reply "The Government".

Turns out Mr Happy has worked for a short time in the local government offices (read : Council), developing an app to access a database provided by central government. This app was his "baby" but it didn't do "Windows", it only did "men's work; DOS". So he was booted when everyone switched to Windows, and thats how he came to us. He stayed for 4 months. And in that time he successfully managed to control his rage over Source Control, his anger over having a youngster as his boss, and finally his annoyance over not having a parking space in the office carpark. In all faireness, he did fix a major customer problem at the time - pressing F1 to get help didn't work.

Later,

Deathy

• I am impressed, getting fired from a government position is not easy, the fact that his previous boss was willing to do all the paper work to get rid of him just shows how great he was.

•  @deathy said:

Source Control isn't useful. Nobody in the industry uses it, so why should I? Stick it on a network drive, and be done with it" with the eyes of the whole office boring in the back of my head, he finishes his outburst with "thats how we did it at my old place". 
    If I sit here and let this sink in for a while I will, without a doubt, work myself into an uncontrolable all-consuming rage. So instead I will simply try to forget I ever read this.

• @deathy said:

it only did "men's work;

@deathy said:
    his anger over having a youngster as his boss,
    Send him over! I love dealing with guys like that

• @token_woman said:

@deathy said:
    it only did "men's work;
    @deathy said:

Am I the only one thinking of S&M?

• @serguey123 said:

@token_woman said:

@deathy said:
    it only did "men's work;
    @deathy said:

I don't know, but now I'm thinking of M&M's.

• @Spectre said:

@serguey123 said:

Well, not at the same time; but back to back, perhaps.

• Trolleybus Mechanic

@Spectre said:

@serguey123 said:

+ =

• @Lorne Kates said:

@Spectre said:

@serguey123 said:

+ =

Arithmetic, therefore correct.

• @dhromed said:

@Lorne Kates said:

@Spectre said:

@serguey123 said:

+ =

Arithmetic, therefore correct.

Now I'm horny and hungry

• I can remedy both situations with a single unzipping...