Pending Approval

• So, I registered a few months ago, and my account has been "pending approval" ever since.

And yet, I can still post if I sign in from thedailywtf.com instead of the forums.thedailywtf.com. I can't seem change my password though.

Given how much of a WTF the forum software is, I really have to ask: is this standard operating procedures here, or did I just find a WTF with the forum software?

• Try now?

• @Salamander said:

Given how much of a WTF the forum software is, I really have to ask: is this standard operating procedures here, or did I just find a WTF with the forum software?

Yes!

• Goody, I can log in from both sections now and finally change my password

Though it still seems pretty stupid the forum will let you post with an unauthorised account.

• @Salamander said:

Though it still seems pretty stupid the forum will let you post with an unauthorised account.
    sigh

Requiring authorization is supposed to prevent that very thing.  I don't think it's a WTF in the software, but I think Alex's front page code needs to check whether it's an authorized account before allowing login.

• select * from users where username = @user and password = @pass

Authentication made simple! 

• @belgariontheking said:

Requiring authorization is supposed to prevent that very thing.
    This was the problem in this case. The account was pending - I approved it before my last post on this thread.@belgariontheking said:
    but I think Alex's front page code needs to check whether it's an authorized
    account before allowing login.
    Alex? <prod> This looks like a hole that might need to be plugged

• Alex can make use of phone factor software. Bank in US make use of it all time.

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.