I suppose concating a number from a loop to a string doesn't work any more

• While going through a mod that I and another guy had "joined" to see how to add "ores" I was instantly greeted by this function:

function loadOres()
    {
    	%file = new FileObject();
    	%file.openForRead("./ores.txt");
    	while(!%file.isEOF()){
    		%line = %file.readLine();
    		echo(%line);
    		readOreFile(%line);
    	}
    	%file.close();
    	%file.delete();
    }
    loadOres();

While this wasn't too bad, it still wasn't what I was looking for, so I decided to dig deeper, thus getting this:

if(!isObject(OreSO))
            new ScriptObject(OreSO);
    function readOreFile(%name)
    {
            %file = new FileObject();
            %file.openForRead("./types/" @ %name @ ".txt");
            %health = %file.readLine();
            %name = %file.readLine();
            %db = %file.readLine();
            %print = %file.readLine();
            %dirt = %file.readLine();
            %level = %file.readLine();
            %file.close();
            %file.delete();
            if(%name !$= "grass")
            {
                %levelobj = "Level" @ %level;
            echo(%levelobj);

if (%levelobj.count $= "")
    				%levelobj.count = 0;
                   %levelobj.ore[%levelobj.count] = %name;
    			   %levelobj.count += 1;
            }
            eval("new ScriptObject(" @ %name @ "SO) { health = " @ %health @ "; name = \"" @ %name @ "\"; print = \"" @ %print @ "\"; dirt = \"" @ %dirt @ "\"; };");
            OreSO.count++;
            OreSO.ore[OreSO.count] = %name;
    }

A data file for this would look like this:

Dirt
    DirtDB 

(yes, %db was completely unused.)

This was immediately followed by this code used to create the "level" objects:

function scriptObjectOre()
    {
            if(!isObject(Level1)) new ScriptObject(Level1);
            %c++;
            if(!isObject(Level2))  new ScriptObject(Level2);
            %c++;
            if(!isObject(Level3)) new ScriptObject(Level3);
            %c++;
            if(!isObject(Level4)) new ScriptObject(Level4);
            %c++;
            if(!isObject(Level5)) new ScriptObject(Level5);
            %c++;
            if(!isObject(Level6)) new ScriptObject(Level6);
            %c++;
            if(!isObject(Level7)) new ScriptObject(Level7);
            %c++;
            if(!isObject(Level8)) new ScriptObject(Level8);
            %c++;
            if(!isObject(Level9)) new ScriptObject(Level9);
            %c++;
            if(!isObject(Level10)) new ScriptObject(Level10);
            %c++;
            echo("Created " @ %c @ " Script Objects.");
    }

scriptObjectOre();

•  What language is this? I know none that allow variable names to start with %.

• @dhromed said:

What language is this? I know none that allow variable names to start with %.

Google tells me it's TorqueScript.

• Yep.
    In TS % is the prefix for local variables and $ is the prefix for global variables. When it looks like JavaScript identifiers it's actually implicit strings. All syntax-helped string operations are case-insensitive.
    There are no arrays, $A["b"] is equivalent to $Ab. @ is string concat, $= is (case-insensitive) string match, == is for comparing numbers and (if it's a string,) the IDs of objects.

• So....

is %file.delete(); badly named or is it actually nuking the file after reading it?

• TS has no GC, you have to manually delete each object to prevent memory leaks. So each object in TS has a .delete() method for nuking the object. In vanilla TS you can also create destructors by overriding .onDelete(), but this functionality was patched out in the game in question.

• @dhromed said:

In Perl, hash variables start with %.

• @dhromed said:

I don't know - I see a lot of c++, that must be it.

• @dhromed said:

While it's true that a good programmer can pick up any language reasonably easily, it doesn't mean that you won't end up confused as a result. I love Perl's unless, but JavaScript gets confused if I try using it there, or precede scalar variables with $. (If I remember correctly, mSL was a horribly bastardised version of something like JavaScript that made everything stupidly different by changing as much as it could while leaving a passing semblance to JavaScript. However, nothing comes close to being as abhorrent as AutoHotkey. Love the program, can't abide the scripting language.)

I wonder how severe the performance penalty would be for using AppleScript as a real-time game scripting language on a Macintosh? ;-)

It's disingenuous of the IT industry as a whole to create so many new languages with such minuscule scopes. mSL for mIRC for example, or TorqueScript for a very specific subset of video games.

I don't know Lua personally, but it's nice to see a standard language being used for this purpose now, at least in a few places.

• Also don't forget that some games are starting to use Stackless Python for scripting too.

• Obviously no-one's going to agree on a standard application scripting language :)

• So what we really need is a flexible standardised platform á la .NET/Parrot with pluggable interpreters/compilers!

• @Daniel Beardsmore said:

but JavaScript gets confused if I[...] precede scalar variables with $.
    Must resist... need... to nitpick...

@Daniel Beardsmore said:

I don't know Lua personally, but it's nice to see a standard language being used for this purpose now, at least in a few places.
    I like Lua, but I'd be perfectly happy too if everyone would choose Python or JS as their embedded language.