Just another day at Bethesda

• I thought it was both. Either way, not an iota of difference on my machine, and I have 8 GB of RAM.

• The latest patch's notes consist solely of '4GB tuning', meaning the executable was made large address aware.

Under 32 bit versions of Windows you'll need to start up your OS with the /3GB flag. This will allow the executable to allocate up to 3GB instead of the usual maximum of 2GB. Under 64 bit versions of Windows you won't need this switch and the executable will be able to allocate up to 4GB.

You might not be seeing an effect because:

1. You have a 32 bit system without the /3GB flag set;
    2. You have not played long enough for the game's state tracking to hit the 2GB limit;
    3. You have not modded enough additional content into the game to make it hit the 2GB limit;

In particular the last appears to be a problem for PC players that are replacing many of the game's textures with 4096x4096 alternatives or for those that mod the shadow rendering settings to maximum resolution and cutoff depth. (Apparantly the game handles a substantial portion of its rendering on the CPU, rather than the GPU.)

• @Ragnax said:

The latest patch's notes consist solely of '4GB tuning', meaning the executable was made large address aware.

Under 32 bit versions of Windows you'll need to start up your OS with the /3GB flag. This will allow the executable to allocate up to 3GB instead of the usual maximum of 2GB. Under 64 bit versions of Windows you won't need this switch and the executable will be able to allocate up to 4GB.

You might not be seeing an effect because:

1. You have a 32 bit system without the /3GB flag set;
    2. You have not played long enough for the game's state tracking to hit the 2GB limit;
    3. You have not modded enough additional content into the game to make it hit the 2GB limit;

In particular the last appears to be a problem for PC players that are replacing many of the game's textures with 4096x4096 alternatives or for those that mod the shadow rendering settings to maximum resolution and cutoff depth. (Apparantly the game handles a substantial portion of its rendering on the CPU, rather than the GPU.)

Do you work in Bethesda support? Or are you some kind of robot?

• @serguey123 said:

Ever heard of trackballs?

A trackball is just an upside-down mouse.

• @Zylon said:

@serguey123 said:

Ever heard of trackballs?

A trackball is just an upside-down mouse.

Well, it's more that a mouse is an upside down trackball.

Mice were origionally designed to be foot operated trackballs, with both hands still free for the keyboard.

• @bgodot said:

Mice were origionally designed to be foot operated trackballs, with both hands still free for the keyboard.

Yes, and the airplane was first invented to dredge narrow shipping channels.

• @blakeyrat said:

@bgodot said:

Yes, and the airplane was first invented to dredge narrow shipping channels.

And the Eiffel Tower was built so they could put a red light on top to prevent airplanes from crashing into it.

• @Zylon said:

touchpads are inherently inferior to mice for frist! person shooting. Serious frits! person shooters will never give them up.

FTFY.

@serguey123 said:

trackballs

I just realized I operate the touchpad of my laptop like a trackball, i.e., with my thumb. This is very convenient because I don't have to move my hand at all when alternating between typing and pointing. The only "drawback" is that I cannot easily press buttons and move the cursor at the same time because the buttons are on the "wrong" side of the touchpad. But since my work does not involve much dragging&dropping, it does not really matter.

• Garbage Person

@Zylon said:

@serguey123 said:

FTFY

No, you just made it dumb and wrong and fixed nothing.

Are you sitting in front of a desktop computer right now? Try holding your arm up and lightly resting a finger on the center of your monitor. Now hold it there for, say, a minute. Now imagine doing that all day.

Touch computing works fine for handheld devices, where operating them takes little more than wrist movement. For the desktop though, it's an ergonomic trainwreck.

A kindred spirit!

I'm just waiting for the cocksuckers to take away my precious keyboard and stick another completely superfluous screen down there.  With a key layout that changes in a context sensitive manner, so you MUST look. While they're at it, they'll replace the mouse with a touchpad, too.

(Yes, I'm aware this already exists, which is why I'm waiting for it with such dread)

Edit: Fuck, I responded to a post several pages back. Fuck it.

• Sorry this is a bit late but here's why desktop PCs are being phased out in favor of tablets:

In Apple's Q3 2011 sales, several more iPads and iPhones were sold vs Macs.  There's a really nice chart I prepared, okay not that nice since it's just using the default chart options form LibreOffice.

• ♿ (Parody)

@MiffTheFox said:

Sorry this is a bit late but here's why desktop PCs are being phased out in favor of tablets:

Did you forget to add the "here's why" part?

• @boomzilla said:

@MiffTheFox said:
    Sorry this is a bit late but here's why desktop PCs are being phased out in favor of tablets:

Because one specific company sells more portable semi-computer devices than computers! (The one with the most expensive computers on average.) Obviously this means EVERY OTHER COMPANY would perform the exact same.

LOGIC!

• ♿ (Parody)

@blakeyrat said:

@boomzilla said:
    @MiffTheFox said:

Because one specific company sells more portable semi-computer devices than computers! (The one with the most expensive computers on average.) Obviously this means EVERY OTHER COMPANY would perform the exact same.

LOGIC!

Actually, I was getting at the fact that while he presented some evidence that the replacement might, in fact, be happening (though far from sufficient, of course), his post says nothing about why anything might be happening.

• @blakeyrat said:

I just make a habit out of spending some time to make sure my posts are well-written and comprehensible. No need for the ad hominem.

• @Ragnax said:

@blakeyrat said:

I just make a habit out of spending some time to make sure my posts are well-written and comprehensible. No need for the ad hominem.

Some kind of robot. Gotcha.

• @Ragnax said:

No need for the ad hominem.

I think it was a complement!

• @Xyro said:

@Ragnax said:
    No need for the ad hominem.
    I think it was a complement!

A 2's!

haaaaaaaaaaaaaahaaaaaaaaaaa haaaaaahahh ah heh. eh.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@MiffTheFox said:

Sorry this is a bit late but here's why desktop PCs are being phased out in
    favor of tablets
    For software development, like most of us here? Or for the media and consumers?

Remind us who writes the crap that the illerati uses?

• @PJH said:

@MiffTheFox said:
    Sorry this is a bit late but here's why desktop PCs are being phased out in favor of tablets
    For software development, like most of us here? Or for the media and consumers?

Remind us who writes the crap that the illerati uses?

For a moment there I thought you where talking about the Illuminati, but I'll wait for you to tell me what that means.

Anyhow, have you read this website?  Isn't it full of retarded stuff companies do without taking us into account? And ponies?

• @Zylon said:

@serguey123 said:

FTFY

No, you just made it dumb and wrong and fixed nothing.

Are you sitting in front of a desktop computer right now? Try holding your arm up and lightly resting a finger on the center of your monitor. Now hold it there for, say, a minute. Now imagine doing that all day.

Touch computing works fine for handheld devices, where operating them takes little more than wrist movement. For the desktop though, it's an ergonomic trainwreck.

yeah, but imagine instead of a keyboard, having a touchscreen in front of you, roughly the same size as your monitor ...

i mean data used one such device throghout the series and you did not hear him complaining ...

• @Nelle said:

i mean data used one such device throghout the series and you did not hear him complaining ...

•  You are the absolute worst gif linker of all time.

• @dhromed said:

You are the absolute worst gif linker of all time.

Fine, you find me a easy server from which I can hotlink.

• @Xyro said:

@dhromed said:

Imgur. There is a firefox/chrome addon which allows you to rehost with two clicks and allows hotlinking.

• @Xyro said:

@dhromed said:

If you don't rent your own web server, I don't think you should be allowed to post here. #snob

• @blakeyrat said:

[quote user="Xyro"][quote user="dhromed"]You are the absolute worst gif linker of all time.

Fine, you find me a easy server from which I can hotlink.[/quote]

If you don't rent your own web server, I don't think you should be allowed to post here. #snob[/quote]

Pfft, rent. Real men own the server and colo it. Real real men run it off their home internet connection.

• @MiffTheFox said:

Real real men run it off their home internet connection.

Fuck that. I need my home internet connection for gaming.

• @blakeyrat said:

I need my home internet connection for gaming.
    Your home connection can't handle a server and gaming at the same time? :)

•  Really real men obviously cache the internet.

• @dhromed said:

Really real men obviously cache the internet.

Really real managers ask their secretary to download it and print it out.

• @DaveK said:

@dhromed said:

Really real men obviously cache the internet.

Really real managers ask their secretary to download it and print it out.

"Yeah, I'm going to need a copy of Graham's number by tomorrow."

"Can do, boss."

• @ender said:

@blakeyrat said:
    I need my home internet connection for gaming.
    Your home connection can't handle a server and gaming at the same time? :)

No I live in the US. I already have no choice but to pay Comcast to get even moderately decent speeds, don't rub it in.